Author Topic: Airfix Spitfire Vc tropical  (Read 468 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Airfix Spitfire Vc tropical
« on: February 08, 2024, 07:52:54 AM »

Airfix Spitfire Mk Vc tropical, had it in the stash for a while and now it joins others on the production floor. Wasn't sure about the 'azure blue' underside paint, so I mixed some Revell Aqua paints together, Light Blue #50 and White #05. Not sure how close it is, but it's done now, sprayed and not too bad. It's a slightly lighter shade than the picture shows.

Markings? The kit is intended for Australian green camo, with a white tail, but that ain't happening. Might try experimenting with decal printing (again) and give it to the Fuerza Aérea de Chile, with desert camo, 2-tone brown.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Rat

Re: Airfix Spitfire Vc tropical
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 10:24:55 AM »
Grabbed a couple of paints that looked about right, Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow, and an old Polly Scale bottle, Dark Earth. This iteration of the kit was issued with two sets of different wings, so the spares were used as a test article. Sprayed the lighter Desert Yellow first, then masked the pattern with a square of sticky note paper, held down with Humbrol Maskol. 'twould be nice if you could get sticky notes that had the glue all over instead of just one edge. Or maybe you can, and I'm late to the party again. Anyhooooo...

Worked okay, not perfect, I'll experiment some more with the port side. Some bare plastic showed through after some scraping of the Maskol from the panel lines I had rescribed, but that was probably because I didn't bother priming for this quick test. The Polly Scale paints didn't seem to do well with Tamiya thinner, there were clumps of it in my airbrush when it was over, so I'll have a ferkle around in my stash, must have some other dark earth somewhere.

So that's where it stands at the moment. The canopy in that issue is grossly wrong, one of the first things I noticed. Might salvage the one from a 'paint mule' I've been using, an old Pioneer 2 Spitfire V. It seems to look better, which might be the only time you'll hear someone say that Pioneer 2 did something better than Airfix!  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:26:43 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Artivag

• I'll be back again & again & again~
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 02:54:00 PM »
Good to see some of these older kits still getting love. I can't really see it in the photo of the belly but did this release produce the slight gulling effect at the back underside of the wings? I was blissfully unaware of this feature in the Spitfire's construction until around 2005. After that I just couldn't unsee it & at that moment half the Spitfires in my stash were given to my son to build.

The paint scheme you're talking about sounds real interesting!

Offline The Rat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 08:41:19 AM »
I can't really see it in the photo of the belly but did this release produce the slight gulling effect at the back underside of the wings?

Quick phone pic shows it has it

The Pioneer 2 kit does not

Offline Artivag

• I'll be back again & again & again~
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 10:52:02 AM »
I can't really see it in the photo of the belly but did this release produce the slight gulling effect at the back underside of the wings?

Quick phone pic shows it has it

The Pioneer 2 kit does not

Nice to see that they caught themselves by the time they made those molds. I wound up settling for an Italeri kit. Never mind the Pioneer 2 kit lacking it, it's as expected as Starfix is to be a caricature of the aircraft the kit's trying to depict, but the long-toothed Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.I also lacks it! It's flat as a sheet of plate steel.

I think the only reason Pioneer 2 is still around is because they routinely market the C-45 & the AT-11 Kansan. I've no idea where Hobbycraft's C-45 molds ran off to & nobody else bothers to try to make an AT-11.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 04:28:57 AM »
It's worth mentioning the original Mk.Vb tooling that the Vc is based on has the gull  :smiley:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates