Author Topic: Flensburg Focke-Wulf  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Flensburg Focke-Wulf
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
1945 ended on a bit of a high note for the Germans. The allied offensive in the west petered out due to supply problems caused by outsourcing logistics to Amway. The Soviets stalled in the east once they took Berlin and entered the Distillery District of Schlössed on Schnapps. The Germans were holding the line when 1946 began.

Then on St. Valentine's Day, Hitler finally succumbed to chronic constipation.

Göring and Himmler had already been caught and executed by the allies. Gröss Admiral Dönitz, Generaloberst Jodl and Reichsminister Speer rid themselves of the remaining top Nazis and formed the Flensburg Republic.

Of course, the new country had problems. First off, the name was often mispronounced.

The new Germany held the line until Spring. Finally, with the western allies firing Amway and the Red Army having drained the Distillery District of Schlössed on Schnapps, the juggernaut rolled on. The writing was on the wall. Generaloberst Jodl invited allied representatives to Flensburg and asked for an armistice. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned.

As no working pen could be found in all of Flensburg, a Luftwaffe Major was sent off to find one. He knew of a secret depot of Luftwaffe office supplies. Was his plane up to the vital task?

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:56:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Flensburg Focke-Wulf
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »
To say conditions were dire in the short-lived Flensburg Republic would be an understatement. To get the only viable fighter airframe flying again, mechanics were forced to graft on a P-40 Allison engine lifted from the local Zirkus Rosarius unit. The new plane, the Flensburg Focke-Wulf had the swastikas over-painted as the new government was trying to distance itself as much as possible from the Nazis.

The Luftwaffe Major took off for the depot. He had to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the Allison engine and Focke-Wulf airframe to dodge allied fighters. A couple of days earlier and the Major would've taken on all comers, but now a more important mission beckoned.

Fortunately, the Major was successful and brought back working pens. The armistice was signed and the war in Europe ended.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »
Recently, I was the beneficiary of Finsrin's stash clean up. He sent me a box full of stuff, including two complete FW-190s and a Ta-152. It hit me that the Allison engine left over from an Airfix P-40 might fit. I was so excited I almost forgot to take build pics. Here's what this Frankenplane looked like after the primer coat:

After forcing the new nose on, the rest went quickly. The fuselage is from a Ta-152 (Tamiya maybe?) and the wings are from a FW-190D (don't know the maker). I had a lot of fun painting the splinter scheme. Many of the decals came with the kits so they might be as older than I am!

I had a great time building my Flensburg Focke-Wulf which took four days.

I hope you liked it and the story of how the war almost didn't end for want of a pen.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:53:21 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
That was a very fast build and you really caught me by surprise :)

Now the question begs to be asked: Is there any space left on your ceiling ? 

Interesting combination of aircraft components you have in that model. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
What a tense time for officers sweating out the Major's mission.  Also extra intense for the Major knowing he is flying the most critical pen mission of all time.  :o
You combined those various parts together well.  Creating a sleek fast looking plane.  Your eye for color/camo schemes is certainly better than mine.  :)

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Fantastic looking aircraft !!! 
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
 ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
Awesome!

Maybe he'd have had more success with a Do-17?
 ;D

Alvis 3.1

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
Ow, Alvis. Ow, Ow. OW.

Great build, Brian!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »
Thats a fantastic build and (of course) a funny story  ;D. Who would have thought the P-40 and Ta would work so well?
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »
Hilarious as always ... and what a fantastic combo! BTW, very appropriate that the short-lived Flensburg Republic should include occupied Denmark  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 04:24:13 AM »
great models and funny backstorys=win!!!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
Hilarious as always ... and what a fantastic combo! BTW, very appropriate that the short-lived Flensburg Republic should include occupied Denmark  ;)

They stayed for the Danish.

I'm really chuffed you guys liked this one. I've got a few things in the works you might get a kick out of.

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
Nice Focke-Wulf improvement! :)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:52 AM »
I like this DoraHawk. The concept is really brilliant.