Author Topic: Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher  (Read 10779 times)

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:02:52 AM »
For a little change I'm doing something different.

It will be done OoB without any extras like PE railings. I'd forgotten how nicely Tamiya kits go together. Here she is after just two evenings at the bench

Bits are just dry fitted there. Will do its if the painting before assembling any further

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

https://www.facebook.com/Veteran-Models-威特倫模型-170063279690089/

Some ideas on products that may help.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »
Thanks, but I'll be keeping her simple....can't deal with PE at that scale. Although there are some Vetern parts in the post for my stalled (3 years) build of the USS Independance LCS

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
So much for a quick and simple build :D 

So the PE railings are on the way but in researching and looking at different pics of railings etc I also came across different armament layouts. Built as per the instructions the Tamiya kit has 5 x 5in main guns, 1 twin 40mm Bofors and 6 20mm single Oerlikons. But I found this reference:

By 1943-6 the standard light AA armament had increased to 5x2 40mm and 7x1 20mm guns. Radar was also upgraded to SG surface search radar by this time.
At war's end, the ships were refitting with kamikaze armament of 3x2, 2x4 40mm and 3x1, 4x2 20mm with removal of one bank of torpedo tubes. The quad 40mm mounts also had improved fire control in the form of Mark 63 blind fire directors.

So I've been trying to find a diagram that shows the layout of the extra armament without success so far. Might even have to buy some old fashioned paper books. The thought of it bristling with AAA just appeals to me. And there are some very nice sets of resin & PE 20mm & 40mm guns available.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »

So I've been trying to find a diagram that shows the layout of the extra armament without success so far. Might even have to buy some old fashioned paper books. The thought of it bristling with AAA just appeals to me. And there are some very nice sets of resin & PE 20mm & 40mm guns available.

First, nice work - love to see what you'd do with the same subject in a larger scale
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/lin/kit_lin_70815.shtml

As for extra ordnance, have you looked at the 3D models from Shapeways?
http://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/?tag=1/350
http://www.shapeways.com/product/LGYJWK3CC/1-350-us-navy-bofors-crew-set-4

If you can't find what you want in the right scale, often the designers will scale down something they've already created
http://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/?tag=bofors

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
Veteran Models do a good range of ship upgrade stuff - can't find their website, however.

So, for an Aussie, next best thing is BNA Model World. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:08 PM »
I got the following reply from another expert over on Britmodeller. Given mine is the "round" bridge version I can add the rear twin 40mm, which is in the kit, on the fantail. For any of the others I'll have to get another kit :D So not too much surgery this time around. Picked up my very first airbrush last night so a bit of practice and I can start painting the main sub-assemblies this weekend. Rails will be the last bit to go on anyway but they are in the post now. And the extra 20 & 40mm can also wait. L'Arsenal sets do seem very nice and from within EU in Euros. Veteran are nice too but hard to get them anywhere.

If you use the Tamiya kit, you are restricted to the ships that had the early "round bridge" (semicircular front)  whereas most ships had a "square bridge". I would use the Tamiya to make an early Pacific war Fletcher, and maybe pick up the Trumpeter "The Sullivans" kit to do the later massively more AA-armed versions.

A broad guide to some of the armament changes can be found HERE, but with 175 different ships to choose from, the variations are many!

Key:

Early war (Solomons Campaign up to mid/late 1943)

1x twin 40mm mount, 6x single 20mm Oerlikon mounts. (Some had an additional twin 40mm mount on the fantail (red square, aft) in front of the depth charge racks in place of the 20mm. If this was the case, the extra 20mm guns were mounted at each side.)

This is the fit represented by the Tamiya 1/350 kit.

You can build both the following from the Trumpeter 1/350 kit.

Mid-Late Pacific (Late 1943-45)
5x twin 40mm Bofors, 7-10 single 20mm Oerlikon
Standard Fletcher fit for most of the Pacific War after Solomons campaign

Late (1945)
3x twin 40mm Bofors, 2x quad 40mm Bofors, 6 twin 20mm Oerlikon
This fit was developed as an anti-kamikaze measure.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:48 PM »
The thing is you can whif it (whif it good!) ... Sorry, Devo moment there :-[ ... It doesn't have to abide by the rules of reality around here! Remember? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
I know Wombat, but want to stick close to reality on this one

Finally started painting. Decks first with Vallejo dark blue grey. Vertical surfaces will be light blue grey.

And putting together the little bits

Just look at how tiny those Oerlikons in the crocodile clips at the top are!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Looking at this reminds me that I really need to make a start on at least one of my 1/350 ships (Arleigh Burke class The Sullivans, Prinz Eugen or USS Intrepid), all of which require some upgrading &/or modification to be RAN vessels.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »
I have one of the Arleigh Burke class in the stash that I want to do as the Nathan James

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
I've had a Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey since the late 80s, started but very very little progress.  Made the mistake of getting it out to examine for an idea I had using some of those cool Veteran Models accessories when my wife saw it.........WHAT IS THAT AND HOW MUCH DID IT COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
I've had a Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey since the late 80s, started but very very little progress.  Made the mistake of getting it out to examine for an idea I had using some of those cool Veteran Models accessories when my wife saw it.........WHAT IS THAT AND HOW MUCH DID IT COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man! Your missus sounds even worse than mine! :o

Veteran accessories are going to feature quite extensively on my builds amongst the upgrades/mod's.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 03:20:46 AM »

Oh, man! Your missus sounds even worse than mine! :o

Veteran accessories are going to feature quite extensively on my builds amongst the upgrades/mod's.

My reply would be "Would you prefer I take up golf?" 😄

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
She's not too bad, love her to bits and wouldn't be without her.  It's a bit of a game we play, making a big deal of things when we catch each other out over little things.  She had me conned for ages when we first got together letting me think I had damaged her car but the truth was she had do it and I hadn't noticed it until I thought I had scraped it and looked to check for damage. 

Her issue is more to do with stock rotation, i.e. stuff comes in, maybe 30% gets started but none gets finished, she wouldn't mind so much if I was actually finishing stuff and getting it on display, or spending time working on it, even better if I'm sharing the activity with the kids.  Fair points actually.

Noticed a Tamiya Fletcher at LHS today, considered buying it but then it would tempt me to order a stack of Veteran Models accessories........ etc. etc......
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:19:50 AM by Volkodav »

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
I've some Veteran Models bits "in the post" for the last 5 weeks now. Needed to replace the chaff dispenser I broke on the USS Independence LCS but also ordered a few other bits while I was at it. Didn't really read any review as it's the only 1/350 chaff on the market so just went for it. Given you mentioned VM twice I take it you can recommend them?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
The stuff I have looks fantastic in the box. Haven't built any, yet, but they look reasonably simple to put together.

Where'd you buy yours? I buy from BNA (in Melbourne) mostly & I've got the orders in 6 days, max.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 02:56:44 AM »
I used Soga in Russia for the first time as it was the only place I could find with the Chaff set in stock. Also getting one of the SH60 sets (2 choppers) and a set of 25mm canons

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Still plugging away. Superstructure is just dry fitted in place and lots of cleaning up to be done on the paintwork but I'm getting there.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
I've some Veteran Models bits "in the post" for the last 5 weeks now. Needed to replace the chaff dispenser I broke on the USS Independence LCS but also ordered a few other bits while I was at it. Didn't really read any review as it's the only 1/350 chaff on the market so just went for it. Given you mentioned VM twice I take it you can recommend them?

Frank3K has also had some favourable experience with VM products from a project he worked on several years ago. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:49 AM »
Made good progress last night. Cleaned up a lot of the painting and also got the hull red and boot like done.

But the masking wasn't perfect so more cleanup needed

More work in the fittings today. But lost one of the small searchlights to the carpet monster. Took the room apart but no sign of it 😟 so if anyone has a spare that we could trade for? 😀 It's the one on the left

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
Coming along well!

Painting ships is where I fall down, my latest effort I tried painting before assembly, stuffed that then tried spraying it after masking and ended up with shocking runs which may see me scrap the kit.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
I'm not yet sure I'm doing this the right way Volkodav but so far it seems to be working. But it's time consuming and frustrating. Built the major sub assemblies then painted the two shades of grey. Didn't do any masking though so it was a case of paint then clean up with smaller and smaller hairy stick brushes. Did get my first air brush recently but the pressure gauge is broken so can't use it. Will be a few weeks before the shop gets a replacement from the supplier and I didn't feel like waiting. So far the superstructure parts are not yet glued in place. Next steps, I think, will be some washes on the decks and dry brushing on the vertical surfaces to pick out the detail. Then put it together, add the detiaals (guns, mast, depth charges etc) before the final painful step of the railings :)

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »
So far still all dry fitted but nearly ready to start final assembly on the main structures

Quite pleased with the Oerlikons and Bofors at that scale

Lots of dry brushing and a wash drying in the vents

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Coming along very well.