Author Topic: 1/72 PV-1 Ventura ZK-PVI  (Read 3913 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
1/72 PV-1 Ventura ZK-PVI
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
Hi all,

I scored the Academy-Minicraft PV-1 for NZ$20 from an auction site and got the Ventura Publications Ventura sheet to decorate it. I'll be doing NZ4512 "Slippery Sam", but with no weathering - as if it was a well-kept, airworthy "warbird" on the Kiwi airshow circuit.

The cockpit in the kit is very basic so I decided to spruce it up some, based on walkaround photos by a friend of the sole intact ex-RNZAF example. I added armrests to the pilot's seat, cut the back and sides from the right-hand seat, cut away part of the floor and removed the door from the bulkhead, and added a centre console/throttle quadrant from an EB-66. The control yokes in the box are not Ventura, so I scratched my own for the pilot. The rather poor instrument panel decal from the kit was used. After all this, the canopy is too thick to see much detail...but I know it's there!

Fit of the fuselage was good, although the top turret mount needed some trimming...wasted when it was accidentally glued in place! But the guns tilt, so that's fun. The only filler used was on the spurious starboard fuselage door - the panel lines are engraved and very fine, and my scribing skills are fairly poor, so I've avoided much more than that.

After two days work here's where I left Slippery Sam. Unlike many builds I've seen online, the wing-to-fuselage joins didn't cause me any trouble. Common consensus is that the cowls are the least accurate part of this kit, but given the scale and that I just build for my own satisfaction I decided not to replace them with aftermarket or modify them. The only change here was adding some scrap plastic to the "roof" of the oil coolers, which would otherwise be open.

Like most Venturas in Kiwi service, this one wore the four-tone US Navy scheme of Non-Specular Sea Blue upper fuselage, Semi-Gloss Sea Blue upper wings and tail, Intermediate Blue sides and Insignia White underneath. As I use Tamiya acrylics I have to use custom mixes for these colours (apart from White) but fortunately I found a good FS-Tamiya conversion site.

Thanks for checking in, expect to see this complete this time next week!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:20:11 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: 1/72 PV-1 Ventura ZK-PVI
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
Coming along well, really looking forward to this.  Actually, if you don't mind, what is that FS-Tamiya conversion site?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:18:59 PM by Volkodav »

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »
Zac in NZ

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Love the modelled 'warbird' concept. Looking forward to the finished build  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
Thanks apophenia, present-day (or recent history) warbirds are generally all I do now, and the fact we don't have any bombers on the Kiwi show circuit has annoyed me for a while. At least now I can pretend!  8)
Zac in NZ

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:01 AM »
Love the modelled 'warbird' concept. Looking forward to the finished build  :)

I've got to agree, that's some great thinking there Zac and it looks like you're well on the way to having a stunning Ventura to show!

The paint work looks like it's going to finish up a treat as well!

Good on ya, Mango King!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:31 AM »
Thanks Brian! I really enjoy building warbirds as much of my childhood was spent reading warbird magazines and watching airshow videos, so it's nice to finally have the skills to properly replicate aircraft I'm familiar with.

My mother visited last weekend so progress on this was limited to a coat or two of Intermediate Blue, and this weekend it's our turn to visit Sam's folks - and hopefully I can visit a friend and learn how to airbrush - so don't expect to see any Ventura for a week or so.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 06:11:13 AM »
Hi folks,
Another coat of self-mix Sea Blue is on the wings and horizontal stab, with the leading edge and final touching-up to be done (the demarcations are a must, they look awful right now and I'll just mask as I can't yet replicate a soft edge). I must say I love the "sit" of this model on the desk.

I'm optimistic she'll be done Sunday evening. Hoping for good weather for Saturday so a friend and I can get to the Wanganui Aero Club's open day, which will feature handling displays by the locally-based Grumman Avenger and DH Venom.
Zac in NZ