Author Topic: 3D Drawings  (Read 138885 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: 3D Drawings
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »
I've GOT TO find something to build in that awesome Fanta Can scheme...maybe the Hobby Boss YF-23's will come down in price enough that I can justify 2 of them? (One has to be done as a USMC VMFA squadron)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »
I've GOT TO find something to build in that awesome Fanta Can scheme...maybe the Hobby Boss YF-23's will come down in price enough that I can justify 2 of them? (One has to be done as a USMC VMFA squadron)
Just to be different, how about an AV-8B+?

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »
As promised (threatened).
Nothing like a little inspiration to fuel progress. Thanks again CiTrus90 !

FANTA-stic!! ;)

Thanks to you for building it, i'm glad and honoured you found it inspirational.

Regards.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
Uncle Les  --  Bases loaded home run  :-*

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2015, 12:10:35 AM »
Meanwhile, in a timeline not that much different from ours:

SAAB J-35 "Tannin"?

Regards.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »
Just to be different, how about an AV-8B+?
That's a real possibility - I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry for the tangent.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2015, 02:46:11 AM »
Sweet Draken! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Thanks!

Needless to say, IAI engineers kept on upgrading the swedish platform with local systems well into the 80s, when the IAI Rahab took to the skies:

Regards.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »
Love it!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2015, 03:29:15 AM »
Oooooo...that's wicked! :-*  It must be done!!!!

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:51 AM »
Wickedly beautiful.  Of course, the next step would be to replace the Avon with something more powerful, like the J79.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »
I think Derby might better fit the fire control capability of EL/M-2032 than AIM-120, but that's just me making uneducated nitpicking on something excellent  ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:41:31 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »
Wickedly beautiful.  Of course, the next step would be to replace the Avon with something more powerful, like the J79.

Didn't Volvo manage 18,000lb of thrust out off their later Avons?  An Israeli Draken could actually have seen Israel as the launch customer of a Volvo Avon Phantom.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2015, 03:03:32 AM »

I was thinking the same...although I think a J79 would be too large (dimensionally) to easily slot in where the Avon was.  If the update was done in the late '90s or beyond (thus matching with the Kfir C.10 real world timeline), maybe something such as a Snecma M88 or Eurojet EJ200 or maybe even F414 (or F404 if done earlier) with the latte ones possibly in the Volvo RM12*/F414G guise.  All of these would probably result in a slight lengthening of the tail though.

Interesting fact that is kind of relevant here:  The IAI Nammer (see below) was offered with a F404 orRM12 engine.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
The J79 looks, from the data, to be 2.3 inches greater in diameter than the afterburning Avon and is rather shorter (by more than 2 meters (5.3 vs. 8)).  You'd probably need some cooling scoops, as the J79 does run hotter, but that's not that big a difficulty as the Israelis proved.  If memory serves me correctly, the IAPJ article on the J-35 included a side view of a proposed J79-powered version.

Going by the best comparable sets of data I can find online, a RM6C produces 76kN of thrust in burner while a late-model J79 produces 79.3 kN in burner and, if you have the "Combat+" option fitted, 83.7 kN in full burner.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
I have read that there were plans for an "AS35X" Draken which would have a needle-point nose, larger outer wings with dog-teeth and an American General Electric (GE) J79 engine.

« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »
Thanks guys!

The idea was to take the J-35 Mod 4 proposal (http://www.airvectors.net/avj35.html#m4) and mix it with the looks of the IAI Nammer. I originally wanted to change the engine to an F404 powerplant too, but then i read on wiki that, while being somewhat smaller in diameter, it is quite longer than the Avon, so i opted for not doing anything about it.

Regards ;)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2015, 09:05:21 AM »
Looks beautiful, anyway.  But the F404/RM12/F414 being longer than the afterburning Avon, I don't think so since the RM12 measures 4.09 M long and the RM6C is some 8M long.  Now it is .2M longer than the dry Avon, but much shorter than the afterburning one in the Draken.

PS.  Sorry if I came off a bit pedantic here; having just researched and compared the RM6C with the J79, I had most of the numbers I needed to compare with the F404/RM12/F414.  I'd dearly love to see a RM12-powered J-35Mod4 with the longer nose (any chance of fieri intakes?  I think those would fit the Draken's lines wonderfully).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:21:02 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »
These profiles have me reading up on the Draken and getting some ideas.

I have a Hasegawa F/J Draken that I had planned to do as a very simple RAAF version buy simply adapting a Mirage IIIEO scheme and aftermarket decals, either olive and grey cam or a 79 Sqn low viz example.  The premise being the RAAF followed the advice off the original purchasing team and revisited the Draken finding it to be a superior alternative to the Miracle and bought it instead, meaning every scheme and deployment would have been Draken instead of Mirage.

Looking at these I am now thinking in terms of significant upgrades and life extensions as well as a very non-mirage service life with the RAAF reserve as an interceptor rather than it having an additional strike role as the RAAFs mirages did.

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
Looks beautiful, anyway.  But the F404/RM12/F414 being longer than the afterburning Avon, I don't think so since the RM12 measures 4.09 M long and the RM6C is some 8M long.  Now it is .2M longer than the dry Avon, but much shorter than the afterburning one in the Draken.

PS.  Sorry if I came off a bit pedantic here; having just researched and compared the RM6C with the J79, I had most of the numbers I needed to compare with the F404/RM12/F414.  I'd dearly love to see a RM12-powered J-35Mod4 with the longer nose (any chance of fieri intakes?  I think those would fit the Draken's lines wonderfully).

Thanks, and don't worry at all!! It's always great to learn something new.

;)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »
Damn, that's gorgeous!

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2015, 01:04:06 AM »
This thread is just a marvel!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2015, 12:19:15 AM »
Yep, another CA-31!!

This time the single seater, twin-engined (GE J85s), close air support/operational trainer version.

Hope you like it ;)

Regards.

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2015, 06:54:13 AM »

Hope you like it ;)

I would be lying if I said I like it...   I love it.

Looks like I'm going to be building a third 1/32 example !

I'm off to cast more resin...  and possibly use some parts from an F5 I used to make that twin seater a while back !!    Thanks again for providing inspiration Citrus.   :)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
Uncle Les, you'll definitely need larger intakes and possibly blow-in doors like the F-5E/F use, done my share of engine/airframe integration from the airframe structure side.  I can't wait to see that one in 1/32 (perhaps we can get a 1/48 kit eventually?).