Author Topic: B-29 (48th scale) with B-36 (72nd scale) wings - Scale-o-Rama?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
B-29 (48th scale) with B-36 (72nd scale) wings - Scale-o-Rama?
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
This could be done in a variety of scales.  For the purpose of sharing this idea I am basing this on the Monogram (now Revell) 1/72nd scale B-36 and the 1/48th scale B-29 kits.  With some suitable modifications, the wings from the smaller scale B-36 could be adapted to the fuselage of the larger scale B-29.  The end result would be a 1/48th scale six engine bomber with about the same dimensions as the 1/72nd scale B-36 on the shelf.  The only wrinkle I see in this would be where and how to place the wings.  Maybe cut the entire fuselage section from the B-36 and adapt that to the B-29 fuselage as a solution to the problem.  This would put the wing a bit higher on the fuselage and allow you to have a much longer bomb bay as an added benefit. 

With a surplus of B-29 kits in protective custody and no B-36 in sight this is something that would have to be undertaken by someone that does have both kits in their stash.  I leave the small details for you to work out :^)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: B-29 (48th scale) with B-36 (72nd scale) wings - Scale-o-Rama?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Have those two kits and was sizing up doing that fuselage-wing swap in both directions.  I am building to have 1/72 models when done.
That said  ---  the B-29 engines are too large to be a realistic size radial, need engine/wing surgery to fix it  ---  B-36 wings being 1/72 are already good, would make changes to B-29 cockpit etc to bring fuselage into 1/72 scale, guns would scale up to 20mm.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
I managed to score a B-36 from a local source.  Box was rather beat up and there were two propellers with broken blades.  I suspect the repairs will be easy enough to do but at least I have the kit and I can now go to the next step in the process of trying to mate B-36 wings with a B-29 fuselage.  That is plan "A" and alternate plan "B" will be to try and use the B-36 fuselage with some alterations to the cockpit to make a 48th scale windscreen and cockpit fit the B-36 fuselage.  The advantage here would be having one very long bomb bay and the landing gear already matched to the height of the aircraft. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:44:51 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »
The 1/72 B-36 fuselage is 52mm in diameter Jeff, what's the diameter of the 1/48 B-29 ?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »
The 1/72 B-36 fuselage is 52mm in diameter Jeff, what's the diameter of the 1/48 B-29 ?

I will know that as soon as I get down to my storage unit and pull one of my B-29 kits out to actually check the dimensions.  So far it has been the standard "eye ball" approach to this idea as in the image I had seen of a B-29 parked next to a B-36 and realized how small the Boeing product was in real life. 

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
B-29 fuselage diameter is 9 feet, so in 1/48th approx. 2.25"/57 mm.

:icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014