Author Topic: 1/72 Curtiss Halcón Cañón from the classic Revell kit  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Curtiss Halcón Cañón from the classic Revell kit
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »

In 1935 Curtiss developed a new prototype all-metal monoplane with advanced features such as an enclosed cockpit and the most streamlined, spatted landing gear yet seen. The U.S. Army Air Corps of course rejected such a cutting edge aircraft.

Curtiss sold the prototype to Spain where it became known as the Halcón Cañón or Cannon Hawk since it was re-armed with four Madsen 40 mm cannon in the wings complimenting the two machine guns mounted above the engine. An incredibly aerodynamically spinnered experimental propeller was fitted which gave the monoplane a very fast look and increased top speed by 3 & 1/3rd m.p.h. It began service testing just in time to be re-painted in Republican colors for the Spanish Civil War.

The forgotten Halcón Cañón's only notable contribution was in the summer of 1937, flying with the 5th Air Attack Sqn. "Old Boots" (Botas Viejas) whose insignia predated the world-wide popularity of the Chuck Taylor All Stars gym shoe by a good 25 years.

The Cannon Hawk's mission would have an impact far beyond what one could reasonably expect as it lifted Republican morale at a crucial juncture and proved the mettle of resistance to the fascists. The pilot that flew this mission remains anonymous to this day.

This all happened in the town of Ciudad de Malgusto during the annual Clamato Festival, made famous by the 1931 Hemingway novella "The Rain in Spain Falls (Mainly) on the Plain".

The Clamato Festival would become the topic of potent propaganda on both sides.

The Nationalists tried to end the fun by taking Ciudad de Malgusto with an armored column, but the Republican Cannon Hawk stopped the assault dead in its tracks. The road to Ciudad de Malgusto was littered with the burnt-out hulks of fascist avarice.

Those loyal to the Spanish Republic celebrated the victory and the 1937 Clamato Festival was remembered as one of the best until that kill-joy Franco ended the fun in 1939. The festival would not be celebrated again in Ciudad de Malgusto for another 38 years.

As for the Halcón Cañón or Cannon Hawk, hauling those four Madsen cannon put an enormous strain on the engine which gave out shortly after the Nationalist armored column did.

Repairs were attempted but unfortunately, the war and international embargo made parts impossible to obtain.

The Halcón Cañón would spend the remainder of its career on the ground until destroyed by an out-of-control oxcart in 1938. None exist today and this child's toy sold at the Soviet GUM department stores for the 1953 International Agitprop holiday is all that remains of this once majestic monoplane.

Totally forgotten today, for one brief, shining moment this brave aircraft held the line and blunted fascist ambitions.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:24:41 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: 1/72 Curtiss Halcón Cañón from the classic Revell kit
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
You know Brian of all the food products out there, I was sure Clamato juice was immune from your biting wit & satire. But I see I was wrong.  ;)

As always, an awesome built with an even better back story.

BTW what happen to the Ox which was pulling the Ox cart that collided with Halcón Cañón? Steak anyone?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:35:54 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
Very cool 8), very different :), congrats ;)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »
This all started when I picked up a venerable 1/72 Revell Curtiss Hawk 75 a while back. Unfortunately, mine was missing some parts...

Luckily, I was able to rob replacements from an MPC P-36. I guess there's only so many ways you can engineer a P-36/Hawk 75 model kit...

This shot shows some of the clever concealment done to the underside in preparation for that lovely spatted landing gear.

Although the P-36/Hawk 75 is one of my favorite aircraft, none of the kits appear amenable to severe modification. Well, I suppose you could graft on an inline and make a P-40, but that seems rather pointless. Speaking of points, once I found this very cool He-219 Uhu prop rattling around the spares box, I knew what I was going to do.

As you can see, if fit amazingly well on the kit radial engine. So well one could be forgiven for thinking it belongs there...

The only other mods were attaching vacformed spatted landing gear and adding the cannons which were cut from this very cool tubing. A huge "Muchos Gracias" to Jeff Fontaine for sending me both the tubing and the spats! I think this shot highlights those parts nicely.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Polly Scale Pine Green and Model Masters Light Sea Gray mostly with Model Masters Flat Black for the prop and cowling. Model Masters Insignia Red & Yellow along with Polly Scale PA RR Maroon was used for those colorful Spanish Republican markings.

The decals are a mix from spares, the numbers coming from a 40+ year old Esci SE-5 and the "Old Boots" squadron insignia was from a sheet of Belgian markings that's probably as vintage.

I'm always stunned when decals that have been around this long work. I made the "Old Boots" insignia by adding a tiny red star to the Belgian boot. Here's a close-up. Please keep in mind this picture is at least twice the actual size.

I had a lot of fun on this project which only took a week once I figured everything out.

I've now built all the main, commercially available 1/72 Curtiss P-36/Hawk 75 styrene kits out there. While it may not be ideal to have an incomplete kit as a first Revell Hawk 75 build, I still learned a few things about it that will be useful on the two I've got left in the stash. I found the few online reviews very accurate and have to agree that the Monogram P-36 is the cream of the crop with the Revell kit coming in a very close second.

I hope you enjoyed the Curtiss Halcón Cañón and reading a little more history that's been overlooked.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:00:19 PM by Brian da Basher »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »
Glad to see you have not run out my vac-formed spats :)

As always, you have crafted a nice deviation from the real item along with some entertaining history.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
Intriguing...me likey !
Alex

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 08:02:45 AM »
I'm really glad you guys enjoyed the Cannon Hawk. As for the ox that caused its destruction, the poor beast was recycled into Beefamato, of course.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:14:38 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:27:36 AM »
Learn something new every day. You already anticipated I was going to ask this question and had the answer ready.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:35:43 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »
Looks great! From the fit, I think MPC may have "borrowed" the kit layout from Revell... The colors and canopy really look good together.

It looks like Francisco Franco is still dead (40 years and counting!):

! No longer available

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 04:55:16 AM »
... The Halcón Cañón would spend the remainder of its career on the ground until destroyed by an out-of-control oxcart in 1938...

The moral of the story is: Never say ¡No Pasarán! to a runaway oxcart! Wonderful build and backstory, Brian  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »
Good model once more! ;)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 04:38:51 AM »
8)Be honest, it all started from the spats and worked upward from there.
Superb build and back storey, a change from large output stories. More power to the hairy stick BdB.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.