Author Topic: Best way to make tank barrels?  (Read 8470 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
Best way to make tank barrels?
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
I wish to attempt to make a Soviet 100mm barrel in 1/48. I have no access to a lathe. What is the best material for making a barrel from scratch? I have a Jordi Rubio 100mm barrel in 1/35. I can trace the outline of the barrel on paper,and use scale rulers to get the measurment.

The taper part of the barrel may be the hardest part for me. This 100mm gun,I am adding to an IS-2 Stalin tank. That was armed with a 122mm. The tapered portion of the 122mm barrel ,I may be able to use that,then add either a plastic or metal piece of tube for the 100mm portion.

Any ideas on how to cut off the 122 barrel portion off the tapered part exactly straight?
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Best way to make tank barrels?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
Chad,

Think outside of the box.  What barrel in another scale would best represent the 100mm barrel in 1/48th scale?  Take a look at something in 35th scale that is 76mm/75mm and it just might work.  Depending on the length the longer barrel can be reduced in size to fit your project. 

I am experiencing a similar problem trying to find a barrel in 1/72nd scale to stand in for a 35mm barrel in 1/35th scale so I am looking at 17pdr barrels in 1/72nd scale as a possible source. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:37:29 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
Chad,

Think outside of the box.  What barrel in another scale would best represent the 100mm barrel in 1/48th scale?  Take a look at something in 35th scale that is 76mm/75mm and it just might work.  Depending on the length the longer barrel can be reduced in size to fit your project. 

I am experiencing a similar problem trying to find a barrel in 1/72nd scale to stand in for a 35mm barrel in 1/35th scale so I am looking at 17pdr barrels in 1/72nd scale as a possible source.

Thanks for the tip Jeffry.  I do have some 76mm barrels in 1/35,maybe an 85mm barrel. They may do the trick. ;)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »
Mould them in white metal?  Then you'll have a supply of them for ever and !always

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »

On Hannants' website there's an outfit called Jordi Rubio who makes all sorts of metal military vehicle gun barrels, there's quite a few barrels in the 35mm range.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »
There are quite a few metal barrel manufacturers for model kits.  Unfortunately, have searched through quite a few there appears to be none offering a 100mm in 1/48.  Options for you could be as suggested above and search for something in the 72 - 75mm range.  Alternatively (and more expensively), you could buy a 1/48th scale complete resin kit of T55, from Propaganda Kompanny and sacrifice its barrel...

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »

Jeff, what sort of 35mm barrel are you after?  Modern weapon or perhaps WWII vintage?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
Jeff, what sort of 35mm barrel are you after?  Modern weapon or perhaps WWII vintage?

Somewhere in-between modern and post-war.  I found a 72nd scale 75mm/L70 barrel today at Emil's hiding on the shelf and it looks to be about the right size for a 25 to 30-something millimeter barrel in 1/35th scale.  Not that much larger than the 20mm barrel on the German FlaK36 but certainly much longer.  I am open to other suggestions but for the moment I figured focusing on 1/72nd scale metal barrels would be the best source. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
 try a drill or drill press as an alternate to a lathe, chuck your metal stock in and use either sandpaper or files to shape your barrel.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
try a drill or drill press as an alternate to a lathe, chuck your metal stock in and use either sandpaper or files to shape your barrel.

In Chad's case he is usually working out of a hotel room or the back of his OTR Big Rig so power tools are a bit of a problem. 

Shaping a gun tube is not really the issue for me, it is that tiny muzzle brake that I want on the end of the barrel and that may require more attention than my bifocals will allow.  :)

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips and replies everyone. :) I do have a drill,but it is not a high speed one. I don't think it will work as far as a portable lathe goes. A 76mm barrel from a Sherman in 1/35 is pretty close match for a 1/48 100mm barrel,as far as diameter goes. Maybe a hair over 100mm.

It is good enough for me. 8)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:03 AM »
Either way, if someone pulls out a set of micrometers to measure and then criticise your model over exact scale dimensions, you know where to shove said micrometer... ;)

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
Either way, if someone pulls out a set of micrometers to measure and then criticise your model over exact scale dimensions, you know where to shove said micrometer... ;)

You bet your bippy I do. ;D

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »
Ok, now my own request.  Suggestions for how to do a 1/35 version of the 140mm tank gun:

Regards,

Greg

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »
Ok, now my own request.  Suggestions for how to do a 1/35 version of the 140mm tank gun:

Regards,

Greg

The barrel and fume extractor would be easy to make and shape out of plastic tubing. That perferated muzzle brake would be hard with all them holes in it.  :-\

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
I'd suggest using a piece of brass tubing, fitted over the existing 120mm (perhaps a stub only).  The muzzle brake might be more difficult but there are 128mm German Pak33 muzzle brakes which are similar, with multiple holes.  Perhaps cut one of those short and add another piece of brass tube on the end for the actual muzzle?

Another way to simulate the holes would be to draw up on your computer an image of a series of black circles the correct distance apart and in pattern in 1/35 (I assume 1/35 scale?) and print it out.  Use it as a pattern to drill out the holes on the brass tube or a piece of 10 thou plasticard and then wrap the plasticard around the brass tube.  Should fool the eye.