Author Topic: RAM's M41AM Vietnam 1968  (Read 24436 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: RAM's M41AM Vietnam 1968
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 12:01:56 AM »
With a tiny bit of luck this should be finished by Sunday. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
Photo's a bit earlier than planned! :icon_surprised:

Note: The photo's aren't quite true to the actual colours & the flash activated automatically, so the dust & dirt are a bit brighter than in real life. 8)

I still have to give her a shot of Dull-Cote, too, but, otherwise, she's all done! :D

Here she is, the M41AS Vietnam 1968:

OK, let's see if anyone (especially Aussies, Brit's, Kiwis, South Africans, Indians, West Indians or Pakistanis) can guess what this is!

As usual, I'm open to all constructive criticism. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
Coolness!

Now lets see if it inspires me to finish mine...……. Light Horse Regiment though.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 09:39:47 PM »
Really nice!  There's a lot of potential with that base kit to do all sorts of cool light armor.

-Is the bag in question a complete cricket set?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 04:42:44 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza:

And the winner is LemonJello! :smiley:

Yep! I wanted something a US/Vietnamese tank wouldn't be carrying & found a couple of images of 1960's leather cricket bags on the interweb, which I scratch built from Aves Apoxy Sculpt & 1mm Tamiya tape. ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:44:55 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 04:46:00 AM »

And the winner is LemonJello! :smiley:

Yep! I wanted something a US/Vietnamese tank wouldn't be carrying & found a couple of images of 1960's leather cricket bags on the interweb, which I scratch built from Aves Apoxy Sculpt & 1mm Tamiya tape. ;)

Not too shabby for an American. 

Its the little details like this that make a model, in my relatively humble opinion.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »
Now that's one mean machine!

Love the stowage!

Brian da Basher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »
Well that is a treat. Well done.
It looks very convincing on all levels.

To my eye the only 1% tweak is tying gear down. Hate to lose the cricket gear getting swept off by the first low branch driven under.
Be back to the Fence picket and taped tennis ball before you know it. (Did we tape Tennis balls to get swing in the early 70's.cannot remember .. NO sandpaper responses please  :)) )

Although, we did tape up scrunched up OC33 Message forms for COMCEN cricket during the early 80's

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
Beautiful job!!  I love it!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
Thank you, gents! :icon_alabanza:

Brian, I looked at that & decided I wasn't quite in the mood; I'd done some straps to hold on the cots & ropes/cables to tie up the spare tracks & thought I might just put off the rest until later & call it "Done" for now. The tweaking can come later, when I've (nearly) finished the Matilda, as I'll probable have to scratch a few tie-downs, too.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
Excellent work Guy, not really into armour but I can see a well done job when I see one    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »
Thanks, Robert! :smiley:

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
Excellent work as always Wombat, us mere mortals can only drool at your build in rapt amazement  :-* :-*
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2018, 09:58:42 PM »
Excellent work as always Wombat, us mere mortals can only drool at your build in rapt amazement  :-* :-*

Yeah, right! ;D

Thanks, for the compliment, though, Bro! :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 01:42:51 AM »
@Guy,

Great looking M41. 

As for the tie-down straps, have you tried the material that comes with the Trumpeter Stryker kits? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Thanks, Greg! :smiley:

@Guy,

Great looking M41. 

As for the tie-down straps, have you tried the material that comes with the Trumpeter Stryker kits?

Thanks, Jeffry! :smiley:

No, but I've got a lot of it from the HMBLT build, however I think the lengths may be a little short for at least some of what I want to do. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:44 AM »
It's difficult to realise that one of these was a "heavy" tank of its era, yet barely more than 10 years later the other was a "light" tank.

This last image is the most accurate to the real colours (on my monitor).

Thanks for watching! :smiley:

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2018, 02:15:06 AM »
Mind you, the Matilda still weighed more than the Bulldog.

Not much more, but a couple of tons.  ;D

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2018, 03:48:00 AM »
The M41 came out great! The Tamiya kit is nice; are those the original rubber band tracks? They look very good.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
My cousin is a Vietnam veteran and told me that the VC/NVA got the shock of their lives when they made the mistake of assuming the smaller (in appearance and profile than most US types they were experienced with) RAAC Centurion was a light tank. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

The M41 came out great! The Tamiya kit is nice; are those the original rubber band tracks? They look very good.

Frank, the M41 tracks are Fruilmodel individual cast metal, while the Matilda tracks are Bronco individual link 2-part styrene.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
nice one

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley: