Author Topic: CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby  (Read 14292 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: CAC CA-14A Sea Wallaby
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
What she was doing was sitting on her feeding bench (if we don't feed her up high the dogs swipe her food) trying to figure out a way of leaving without being harassed by four (well, three out of four) dogs.

What she was thinking may be explained by the indecipherable scratches I found this morning on the garage wall, around an equally scratched plan of a wheeled device upon which several smaller wheels, each bearing several sets of large cat-like claws, were mounted. Near this was a scratched cartoon of four cowering dogs.

The scratchings had been erased by the time I got home from work. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2020, 10:22:25 PM »
After a week of not touching this build (or any build for that matter) due to RW interference, I've started to build two resin radial engines;

1. The original Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp from the CA-13 Boomerang kit; &

2. The Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp that I'm putting in this build.

With the R-2800 pumping out a 75% increase in power over the R-1830, I'm expecting the CA-14 Sea Wallaby to move! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2020, 07:52:58 AM »
75% power increase ... this is going to be a real beast  :o

... a wheeled device upon which several smaller wheels, each bearing several sets of large cat-like claws, were mounted. Near this was a scratched cartoon of four cowering dogs...

The felid is a whiffer! Cool  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2020, 11:49:23 PM »
I have an engine! :D

The upper, most completed engine (it won't be fully complete until I've finished the engine mount bulkhead & figured out the exhaust lay-out), is the P&W R-2800 Double Wasp going into the Sea Wallaby, the other is the P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp that came with the Boomerang. The unpainted disc of resin is a spacer I'll need to add to create room behind the engine for the exhaust system.

Not much of a size difference from that angle. ;)

Now we're talkin'! :smiley:

All that work & this is pretty close to what will be visible; :-\

Hopefully, there'll be a little more visible through the main u/c wheel wells & the cowl flaps. ::)

Thanks, All! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 06:31:14 AM »
Of course there is always, the every inspection hatch open and fully armed option to go with  ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
I've got no hope of finishing this before the 30th of November deadline as is, force that on me & we're looking at years! :o

Offline apophenia

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
... we're looking at years! ...

No probs. We're patient (and armed with popcorn!). That Double Wasp looks a jewel - pity to cover all that detail up  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »
I think enough is going to be visible without being so visible as to display all the short-cuts & flaws (they're there, just not visible at a distance). ;)

Plus, I want to get this finished by the 14th of December! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2020, 12:44:27 AM »
After spending most of the last week stuffing about trying to put a whole bunch of stuff in behind the engine I've scrapped most of it, covered over the inside of the wheel wells & moved onto trying to get the front of the Sea Wallaby finished.

At least I have a fair idea of what I'm doing there, I have yet to start work on the V-frame & hook. :icon_crap:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
A quick & dirty mock-up shot of, very roughly, where I'm at & a comparison with an aircraft with the same engine & a similar role.

Thanks for watching! :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »
I never realized the Hellcat was that...beefy, compared to the FW 190. ( I know The Sea Wallaby isn't dimensionally identical, but it looks pretty close.) Keep at it, colleague - it's getting there.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2020, 05:31:11 AM »
Interesting comparison.

I would think the Arrestor gear will be a doddle after all that engine work, unless you intend to faff around and make it functional or something

Looking very nice.. eagerly awaiting the painting bit

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
Thanks guys, still plugging away at it over here. :smiley:

The Hellcat isn't that much smaller than the Beaufighter, Doc. It's actually a big plane!

I would think the Arrestor gear will be a doddle after all that engine work, unless you intend to faff around and make it functional or something

You're absolutely correct, BT, the arrestor gear shouldn't be too hard, I've already done a similar version for the Sea Beau. It's the fart-arsing around making the 18 copper wire exhaust pipes that's the issue*. :-\

*: Then there's going to be all the PSR, once I've got everything together. :o

Offline apophenia

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
Seeing the comparison between Sea Wallaby and Hellcat reaffirms what an achievement it is to squeeze that honker of an engine into a Fw! The dreaded PSR Pixies be damned ... full speed ahead  >:(

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2020, 11:43:19 PM »
Yes, it's a tight squeeze but I look at it as a slim-line cowl.

Half way on the exhaust pipes. I find I can get three done, then I have to take a break because of the build up of frustration & anger at how difficult it can be to get a few bits of copper wire to do what you want. :icon_twisted:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »
Looks quite graceful against the Hellcat and yes, copper wire is a pig to work with.!

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
Engine build is over the top with such fine bright work.  :smiley:      Airframe looking "normal"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2020, 10:46:44 PM »
Thank you, gents! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
... then I have to take a break because of the build up of frustration & anger at how difficult it can be to get a few bits of copper wire to do what you want...

"Anger management! ..."  And, remember, once the job is complete, a hammer can be taken all those copper wire left-overs and cast-offs. Revenge is pounding 'em until they squeak!  >:D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Real Life has been interfering with Whif Life & I've fallen far enough behind that I'm more than certain that this won't be finished by the 14th.

However, I'll keep plugging away & put up images of what I have at cut-off. They just won't be in the "Finished" thread.

Tonight I got the engine & cowling glued on but there's a fair whack of PSR needed to get things smoothed out, which I'll start on tomorrow after work.

For those of you who seem to be keen to see this finished ... So am I, so I'll be working on this until it's done, although the lead into Christmas may slow things down a bit*.

*: See? The Real World just can't stop getting in the way of the important stuff! :icon_crap:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2020, 10:07:04 PM »
Well, for me, the Invasion of Japan/Japan ‘46 GB is over & I failed to complete my build. :icon_crap:

But! These things happen & life goes on. ;)

Anyway, here are the pictures of where I was at at 2359hrs, local time;

I'll be continuing this build over in the Physical Models: Aero-space forum.

I would really appreciate it if an Admin type could, please, move this thread to that board.

Thanks everyone for following along & shouting encouragement from the stands! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »
Thanks, Greg! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
Still a corker of a build

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
WOW!   :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
Camo paint is on & masking is off & ... I'm a bit disappointed. :icon_crap:

I based the scheme loosely on the Hellcat scheme above but with different colours &, although they looked good on the test scrap of styrene, they just look too light (mostly) & just, well, wrong.

It's probably one of those "scale" things with colours, like paint swatches can look great laid out on the table but, once the room's painted, they look like crap.

I'll put up photo's later &, hopefully, you guys can come up with something to assist (without involving a complete re-paint). :smiley: