Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905259 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1250 on: February 25, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
I Wonder if the right comment is "surprising" or 'future"... ;)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #1251 on: February 29, 2016, 03:15:32 AM »

My take on M.A.D.'s revamped Qantas Ilyushin IL-76CFM:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6108.msg103614 ...

In my scenario, the three Qantas IL-76CFM conversions are VH-ILQ 'Scotty Allan', VH-ILM 'Norman Brearley', and VH-ILN 'Lores Bonney'. Although not assigned to any particular airframe, the MAFFS III firefighting systems were also name - 'Black Saturday', 'Ash Wednesday', and 'Black Tuesday'.

[Top/Inset] IL-76CFM VH-ILQ shortly after arrival. As delivered, the Qantas IL-76CFMs had an overall white scheme with red vertical tail markings and pale grey cowlings.

Note that this aircraft is missings its Qantas cowling markings. Nor has the name 'Scotty Allan' been applied to the nose (where standard Ilyushin Ил-76ТД/IL-76TD markings remain).

VH-ILQ was delivered with its original Russian suite - RLS-N weather radar and an under-nose RLS-P Koopol/Duran-B navigation set. These Russian radar sets were replaced soon after arrival.

[Below] IL-76CFM VH-IMQ in its final configuration. The Russian radar sets have been replaced by a Northrop Grumman APN-241 radar - for its terrain-following capabilties and commonality with RAAF C-130J and C-27J transports). The superfluous lower radome has been replaced with a fairing for a UV line scanner (forward) and a semi-retractable Wescam MX-20 E/O turret (aft).

VH-IMQ is shown here in near-full Qantas livery. The lower fuselage has been stripped (to lessen the maintenance burden of repairing chipped paintwork) and the forward anti-glare panel has been painted over. The aircraft's name 'Norman Brearley' has been applied to the nose and Qantas logos to the rear of each engine cowling. Eventually, (likely during the first engine major overhaul) the cowlings will be resprayed in 'fuselage white'.

I like Apophenia!
I like it a lot!!

Particle like "terrain-following capabilities" and "the MAFFS III firefighting systems were also name - 'Black Saturday', 'Ash Wednesday', and 'Black Tuesday' "

Permission to add your art to by backstory Apophenia?

Regards
Pioneer

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #1252 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »
Chuffed to have my Ilyushin added to your story Pioneer. Cheers!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #1253 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
Chuffed to have my Ilyushin added to your story Pioneer. Cheers!

No no, it is I whom am chuffed my friend!!
I have incorporated some of your backstory and awesome profile into my/our story!!

M.A.D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1254 on: March 04, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
M.A.D: Rough versions of the ASLAV-Recce variant I had in mind for your Alt ADF Orbat...

A 4x4 ASLAV variant assembled by GM Holden. The hull is shortened and the centre pairs of drive wheels eliminated. For 'stealth' recce, a turretless version with a Will-Burt extensible mast (like a mini Coyote). For 'sabre' recce, a turreted version - 20mm Rh202 cannon (as per Tipo 6616) in a Spz Marder (shown) or SpPz Luchs turret.

Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1255 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:03 PM »
I have an ASLAV. :))

I have a Spz Marder turret. :D

I (now) have a plan! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1256 on: March 05, 2016, 03:23:31 AM »
Oooo ... looking forward to seeing your ASLAV shortie in styrene!  :)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #1257 on: March 12, 2016, 01:23:02 AM »
Kinda similar idea:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1258 on: March 13, 2016, 04:20:29 AM »
Nice to see again, Graeme!  :)

I was kind of harkening back to an old idea of mine for Litvak's AltCan concept - the C19A1 Bobcat WLAV:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg8125#msg8125

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #1259 on: March 17, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
you fooled me! I thought those ASLAV 4x4 were real!!!  :-[

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1260 on: March 18, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
you fooled me! I thought those ASLAV 4x4 were real!!!  :-[

Praise indeed! Thanks Graeme  :D

They were just quick bodge-ups to suggest an idea to M.A.D for his Alt ADF Orbat. Actually, I've just realized that I left part of the portside second wheel from the original 8x8 ASLAV showing on my masted version  :-[

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

Canadair CL-94 'StarTrainer'

While preparing the Cartierville factory for licensed Lockheed CL-90 (CF-104) Starfighter production, Canadair's Advanced Projects Office proposed an advanced lead-in trainer. RCAF basic jet training was to be handled by Canadair's CL-41A Tutor. Operational training was covered by CF-104D two-seaters. But advanced lead-in training would continue to rely upon the CL-30 Silver Star, Canadair's license-built T-33 Shooting Star.

The CL-30 was a good aircraft but, to Canadair's APO staff, the Silver Star belonged to an earlier era. There was room, the design department believed, for fully modern advanced training aircraft to better match the highly demanding CF-104.

The general concept arrived at was a less demanding training employing as many CF-104 parts as was feasible. The result was the CL-94 which made use of CF-104 wings (albeit in a new, low-placed arrangement) and the cockpit section of the Starfighter in a largely unchanged nose. The latter was offered with single-seat or two-seat, dual-control cockpits.

The two-seater CL-94D (briefly known as 'StarTrainer') was put forward as a direct Silver Star replacement advanced trainer. The single-seat CL-94A was seen as what would today be referred to as a Lead-In Fighter Trainer. Both variants could be fitted with launch rails for GAR-8 Sidewinder IA missiles or wing tip fuel tanks. Both variants were to be powered by an afterburning version of the Orenda-built GE J85-CAN-40 turbojet. [1]

Unfortunately, the RCAF was not then interested in a Silver Star replacement. Brief discussions were had about adapting the CF-104 radar to the CL-30 but, in the end, this too was abandoned in favour of a similar scheme employing the CL-41R Tutor.

[1] The J85-CAN-40 produced 2,650 lbf 'dry'. With afterburning, output was to be 4,050 lbf for each engine (or, combined, nearly double that of the CL-30's single Orenda-built Nene).

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #1262 on: March 20, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
Nifty  :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1263 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:43 PM »
Gorgeous!!  A shame such didn't get built, it probably would've reduced the accident rate NATO-wide.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1264 on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:42 AM »
Thanks folks. More to come on Canadair Starfighter derivatives ...

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1265 on: March 21, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
A shame such didn't get built, it probably would've reduced the accident rate NATO-wide.
I tried to find with Google/Pictures "starfighter 2-seat" and I got several photographs. Is such a trainer a complete Apophenia invention (after other ones tried also)? or just the Canadian version is invented?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #1266 on: March 22, 2016, 02:54:29 AM »
This particular iteration is.  Over and above the two-seat trainer versions of the F-104, there were proposed trainer versions of the CL-41 (CL-41R) and MB.326 (MB.326C) with the F-104's radar.  As 'tis, at least some of the F-104 radar training was accomplished in some quite modified C-47's.

The MB.326C is a rather attractive design, even if it only made it to mockup status.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1267 on: March 22, 2016, 03:15:11 AM »
The MB.326C is a rather attractive design, even if it only made it to mockup status.

I actually find it quite ugly:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1268 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
I actually find it quite ugly:

Whereas the CC-129 Dakota radar trainer was able to maintain its svelte, fighter-like good looks  ;D

Tophe: Lots of 2-seat F-104 conversion trainers were made. My whif was supposed to be a 'lead-in' trainer ... that is, smaller, cheaper to operate, and more forgiving of trainee pilot error. The idea sprang from the 'widow-maker' reputations of the RCAF's CF-104 Starfighter - which had a loss rate amounting to nearly 40% of the Canadian fleet.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #1269 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
Greg,

De gustibus non disputatem est  I happen to like those lines (then again, I've worked at AerMacchi (way back when) and like their products).

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1270 on: March 22, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
Gorgeous!!  A shame such didn't get built, it probably would've reduced the accident rate NATO-wide.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1271 on: March 23, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
Tophe: Lots of 2-seat F-104 conversion trainers were made. My whif was supposed to be a 'lead-in' trainer ... that is, smaller, cheaper to operate, and more forgiving of trainee pilot error. The idea sprang from the 'widow-maker' reputations of the RCAF's CF-104 Starfighter - which had a loss rate amounting to nearly 40% of the Canadian fleet.
Thanks for the explanation!

Offline Schwann90

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #1272 on: March 26, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
Do you mind if i profile your Me-209?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1273 on: March 26, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
Schwann90: For sure ... I'd love to see what you do with it.

BTW, did you mean my Bf 109/Mustang hybrids? http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg44510#msg44510

Or were your thinking of the Ost Afrika series?

And welcome aboard BTS  :D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #1274 on: March 26, 2016, 01:31:24 PM »
CC-129 Dakota --- looks like low dollar attempt to increase speed (same engines).  :D