Author Topic: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft  (Read 226611 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »

Nose job! Quack!

***added html link to article where the image resides-jjf***
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:43:38 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
^ is that supposed to represent a dedicated SAR Osprey variant?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
Hmm, that might go good on my SV-22 build for a surface-search radar to compliment the dipping sonar, sonobuoys, and MAD boom.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »
Has the Bell HV-911 been resurrected?
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2013, 04:30:13 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2013, 05:12:05 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »
Looks like a Blackhawk crossed with the CTR7500 concepts:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=298.msg6220#msg6220

;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
Looks like a Blackhawk crossed with the CTR7500 concepts:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=298.msg6220#msg6220

;D

Well, t he US Army's initial requirement is for a Black Hawk replacement.  Oh, minor terminological item, the Sikorsky S-67 is the Blackhawk, the S-70/H-60 is the Black Hawk with navalized variants denominated as Naval Hawks in Sikorsky's documentation.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
For those who've wondered about some of what I work on, check out "Xworx Osprey" in the middle of page 13 of the May, 2013 issue of Combat Aircraft.  The caption is a tad bit in error, it wasn't an engine fire, it was a major engine surge due to a high-time engine problem.  This photo shows the LH nacelle with the test & demo project I worked on installed.  If it continues to perform as well in testing as it has so far, I'll become quite busy this fall as we warp into developing the production version (I've already been told I will be very heavily involved as one of the last designers left who worked on the demonstrator).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2013, 03:45:13 AM »
Real World Westland Proposal from 1968:

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »

The gearboxes and transmissions would be "challenging", considering what's needed for just one three-bladed proprotor.  Still, 'twould be nice to see a Bell/Westland teaming on tiltrotors.

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »
Just did a little cipherin'.  Assuming the roters are 60 ft long, you would have to keep the props under 180 rpm or so to prevent the tip from going supersonic.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
Odd thought that occurred to me; LV-22 sued by VX-6 for Antarctic operations along isde their LC-130J Hercules aircraft.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
Quick question:  I assume that tilt-rotors are rather load limited because of c-of-g limitations?  I expect you need to really balance fore-aft loading because of the central position of the rotors?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »

I can see prop-tip velocities being an issue with this design, wouldn't take much for them to go way past supersonic.

Wonder if a 4-engined tilt-rotor design is workable? Maybe with the inner engine nacelles extended ahead of a (more) forward canted wing to reduce interference with/by the wing?

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
I wonder what a Italier 1/48 Osprey wing & engine combo would look like positioned on the 1/72 C-27 Spartan. I tried a quick mock-up on the 72nd C-130, and it didn't look quite right, but maybe the smaller C-27 could pull it off?

And yes, it would be RCAF FWSAR :-)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Spartan concept seems like it otta work.  :)
Looked on ebay and they are on the pricey side.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
For those who've wondered about some of what I work on, check out "Xworx Osprey" in the middle of page 13 of the May, 2013 issue of Combat Aircraft.  The caption is a tad bit in error, it wasn't an engine fire, it was a major engine surge due to a high-time engine problem.  This photo shows the LH nacelle with the test & demo project I worked on installed.  If it continues to perform as well in testing as it has so far, I'll become quite busy this fall as we warp into developing the production version (I've already been told I will be very heavily involved as one of the last designers left who worked on the demonstrator).

It's probably bad form to quote yourself, but I shall, anyway, for reference.  The test and demo program finished with results that were every bit as good as Bell's most optomistic analyses and starting 9/16/13 I'll be very heavily involved in developing the production version.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »
I wonder what a Italier 1/48 Osprey wing & engine combo would look like positioned on the 1/72 C-27 Spartan. I tried a quick mock-up on the 72nd C-130, and it didn't look quite right, but maybe the smaller C-27 could pull it off?

ISTR that someone did just that conversion here and the result was a most attractive aircraft.  How about a Russian derivative using a 1/72 AN-12 fuselage and 1/48 V-22 wings and engine?  The tail gun position would be a nice touch.

Alternatively, a Russian Quad Tilt Rotor using bits from two 1/72 V-22's and an AN-12 fuselage.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »

It's probably bad form to quote yourself, but I shall, anyway, for reference.  The test and demo program finished with results that were every bit as good as Bell's most optomistic analyses and starting 9/16/13 I'll be very heavily involved in developing the production version.

I expect an in depth, detailed breifing next weekend...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »

ISTR that someone did just that conversion here and the result was a most attractive aircraft.  How about a Russian derivative using a 1/72 AN-12 fuselage and 1/48 V-22 wings and engine?  The tail gun position would be a nice touch.

Alternatively, a Russian Quad Tilt Rotor using bits from two 1/72 V-22's and an AN-12 fuselage.

This is the build, by tc2324; Boeing CV-230 Herculean

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
I expect an in depth, detailed breifing next weekend...

I'll bring you up to the same level of ignorance I enjoy.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »

Guy

BOOYAH! Love it!!

Luckymodels has the C-27 on sale too. But now that I see it does work quite well with a C-130, I may go that route.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
With all the mods done to the C-130 over its long life, why hasn't something like  tc2324's Boeing CV-230 Herculean been tried? Is it technical or would the VTOL arrangement mean a greatly reduced payload? Even being able to tilt the engines up slightly would shorten takeoffs.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2013, 01:44:19 AM »
With all the mods done to the C-130 over its long life, why hasn't something like  tc2324's Boeing CV-230 Herculean been tried? Is it technical or would the VTOL arrangement mean a greatly reduced payload? Even being able to tilt the engines up slightly would shorten takeoffs.
I'd hazard a guess that engine and transmission design would probably be the main factor since your two tilting nacelles are going to need the power of the four engines the C-130 normally has.  That's either two very large engines (perhaps a pair of A400M engines?) or two engines coupled to one transmission.  In either case, the transmission is going to be a major effort to handle that much power as well as the control inputs that proprotors require; this would not be an insignificant challenge.