Author Topic: Rafale  (Read 31634 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Rafale
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
For the Revell Rafale M revised tooling with bombs: 

Swedish splinter for a summer training session with the Scandihooves; retains French markings.  Land based ops.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Rafale
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »
What about a Vietnamese Rafale?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
To counter Chinese threat, apparently the Chinese media are pushing for the use of non-peaceful measures against Vietnam and the Philippines over South China Sea territories.  Fools don't they realise that western map makers calling a body of water "something China something" gives them automatic ownership hundreds of years later.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
I think you may mean:

To counter Chinese threat, apparently the Chinese media are pushing for the use of non-peaceful measures against Vietnam and the Philippines over South China Sea territories.  Fools don't they realise that western map makers calling a body of water "something China something" doesn't give them automatic ownership hundreds of years later.

I wonder if they want to take China Lake by "non-peaceful measures"? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
I wonder what the visible differences would be if the Rafale was upgraded with F-35 compatible avionics, targeting & defensive systems, & what improvements that might bring to its performance?

Anyway, separate to the above wondering,, I'm looking at either a RAN or RAM Rafale build.

My assumption is that Australia has at least one real carrier from which to launch the Rafales &, while the RAAF go with the F-35, the RAN takes the cheaper option & buys the Rafale for itself & the RAM.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »
the RAN takes the cheaper option & buys the Rafale for itself & the RAM.

You might want to check that…the Rafale isn't necessarily the cheaper option anymore…just ask the Indians. ;)

Anyway, I still look forward to seeing a RAN FAA Rafale M

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
Me too

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
I guess I should have said cheaper & immediate, as of about 10 years ago - the RAN being wary of cost blow-outs on in-development projects.

To replace its old carrier aircraft (A-7's & either F-4's or, more probably, F-8's) as it upgrades its carrier/s.

PS: You may be waiting a while at my current build rate! :-X

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:35 AM »
Here's something to inspire you to move faster:

More here.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:08 AM »
If only  :-*
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Outstanding, that one of yours Greg?

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
I have long dreamed of Taiwan being the export launch customer for Rafale (thank you, BlackOps, for the fulfilling my request):

Thank you, "Mr. Democracy", and thank you, Lawyer Ah-Bian, for spearheading administrations that utterly ruined that possibility...... I don't know if Taiwan will have a shot at it again......
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:32:29 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
So what is exactly wrong with the Rafale, it's certainly not lighting any fires with other Governments ---

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
In my opinion, nothing.

It just happens to be the "last" of the Gen4 fighter designs & was a bit too early for many of the fighter renewal acquisition programs. So, it lost out to the "first" of the Gen5 fighter designs (F-35 JSF).

Greg has pointed out that the Rafale is no longer much cheaper than the F-35 to buy. My feeling is that this is largely a matter of scale, there are so many countries buying the F-35 (& who have already invested so much in it that they can not afford for it to fail) that the ginormous development costs are able to be amortised across a vastly greater number of aircraft.

If the Rafale had been purchased in similar numbers & upgraded as required, I still think the cost per unit would have been much cheaper than the F-35.

I, also, still think that the Rafale would be a better choice for many countries spending their dollars/yen/pesos/etc. on the F-35.

Other opinions may be available. ;)

Offline dy031101

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
So what is exactly wrong with the Rafale, it's certainly not lighting any fires with other Governments ---

Also in the case of a certain self-proclaimed democracy off the coast of the PRC that I know of, there is also a matter of "your (as in previous administration, even if led by a different clique in the same party) arms procurement channel, not mine!"
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »

Also in the case of a certain self-proclaimed democracy off the coast of the PRC that I know of, there is also a matter of "your (as in previous administration, even if led by a different clique in the same party) arms procurement channel, not mine!"

sorry I'm not following you, what's PRC for starters -- and what is your arms procurement channel ?  But that is not telling me why if the Rafale was really as good as what some people are saying, why it's not being bought in droves, it's not any different to the Typhoon though  --  is it?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:51:29 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:22 PM »
Another way to look at it is a Rafale buy in the early 2000s could have provided the purchasing nation with a state of the art combat aircraft delivering better performance and greater capability than any upgraded 4th generation aircraft while completely avoiding the issue of sustaining aging, hour limited airframes waiting for the F-35 to be delivered.  For example had Australia opted for an early Rafale buy there would have been no need for the SH buy, or the legacy Bug HUG and the F-35 buy could have been pushed out to the early of mid 2020s.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »
Stalling on a 5th generation buy though, wouldn't be helping you much, look at world events right now --

But in my last post I said the Rafale isn't any different to the Typhoon, except there is one -- Typhoons are selling ---

Offline dy031101

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
sorry I'm not following you, what's PRC for starters -- and what is your arms procurement channel ?  But that is not telling me why if the Rafale was really as good as what some people are saying, why it's not being bought in droves, it's not any different to the Typhoon though  --  is it?

What I mean is that in some cases there are political reasons for Rafale's chance to be ruined before it could begin.  And sometimes those reasons can be more petty than people expect.

PRC stands for People's Republic of China, btw, as opposed to the ROC that stands for the Republic of China (Taiwan).  I merely refered to what people simply called China in a more specific way.

Taiwan pretty much demolished the French connection established with the La Fayette frigate and Mirage 2000-5 sale all by her lonesome- not because a Taiwanese official died in the scandal that went with the sale but because the French connection was not developed by the then-current administration.  Petty, and you ain't seeing nothing yet.

Just addin' to a previous comment that there is technically nothing wrong with Rafale itself.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:13:37 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
Stalling on a 5th generation buy though, wouldn't be helping you much, look at world events right now --

But in my last post I said the Rafale isn't any different to the Typhoon, except there is one -- Typhoons are selling ---

Or don't delay the 5th gen buy and only keep the Rafales for 15-20 years instead of 20-25 and on sell them to NZ ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
OK PRC didn't connect there --

I was looking at which countries operated the Mirage because I thought maybe there would be a selling advantage for the Rafale.  It would appear that out of all the countries that did use the Mirage, none are using, or going to use the Rafale.  Countries like Israel and South Africa, maybe Australia, had a home grown industry to update or improve the Mirage and they're not even giving the Rafale a sniff.  So there has to be a reason why it's not selling, apart from the political side ---

As to 'our' procurement channel, we're in a different situation here in Canada.  A large proportion of our national product goes to the USA (as much as 80%), a huge amount of jobs are created to do that, and the aircraft industry isn't immune from it.  Canada is already producing parts for the F-35 and produced a lot of parts for the aircraft they have and still do operated.  Canadian Air Force has never operated a French made aircraft though ----

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
Rafale is not the 'last' of the Gen4/4.5 designs, it is 'older' than both Gripen and Typhoon.

Sales have been hampered by Dassault's disinclination to deal on price and lack of
coordination between Dassault and the French government, particularly on the foreign
trade side.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Canadian Air Force has never operated a French made aircraft though ----

Dassault CC-117 FALCON

Cheers,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »
Another way to look at it is a Rafale buy in the early 2000s could have provided the purchasing nation with a state of the art combat aircraft delivering better performance and greater capability than any upgraded 4th generation aircraft while completely avoiding the issue of sustaining aging, hour limited airframes waiting for the F-35 to be delivered.  For example had Australia opted for an early Rafale buy there would have been no need for the SH buy, or the legacy Bug HUG and the F-35 buy could have been pushed out to the early of mid 2020s.

Thats a very expensive option. Like a lot of money.

In my opinion, nothing.

It just happens to be the "last" of the Gen4 fighter designs & was a bit too early for many of the fighter renewal acquisition programs. So, it lost out to the "first" of the Gen5 fighter designs (F-35 JSF).

Its not quite that simple.

Greg has pointed out that the Rafale is no longer much cheaper than the F-35 to buy. My feeling is that this is largely a matter of scale, there are so many countries buying the F-35 (& who have already invested so much in it that they can not afford for it to fail) that the ginormous development costs are able to be amortised across a vastly greater number of aircraft.

If the Rafale had been purchased in similar numbers & upgraded as required, I still think the cost per unit would have been much cheaper than the F-35.

indeed but thats not the scenario, Rafales won't be produced in the thousands with JSFs in the hundreds. That was the whole concept of the JSF pool resources, get a massive serial production to build a superior fighter while keeping the cost low, IE getting the most of your money. The problem with euro-canards is they are built in small numbers and sold piecemeal. the "ginormous" costs are also still less than the Rafale additional cost unless your country start with a "U" and ends with "SA" and we weren't going to buy anything french so its moot. Rafales are very expensive for what you get.

When was the last time a european built fighter sold in quadruple digits and what was it? serious question-- does anyone know?

Gripen under 360
Rafale 126 so far (India brings it to 252)
EF typhoon under 571

Tornado is damn close with 992.

Another interesting sub-question in Europe itself what is the break down of european vs american fighter aircraft? Norway, denmark, Romania, portugal, netherlands, Greece, Belgium, poland and Turkey all fly F-16s? Are there more american fighters flown in europe than european built?

In order to get big numbers for the eurocanards (and this is good what if territory) Euro aircraft manufacturers would have to band together, steal away some of the American fighter operators in europe, generate other international interest and then deliver on a low cost high production machine with sound industrial performance, it would also help if the cold war didn't end because that put a lot of the eurocanards on the back burner.

so France, stays in the Eurofighter in the 1980s, and it would help if you could get the Swedes on board too.

One of the problems with the Eurocanards has been them infighting and under cutting each other, so Typhie wins some, rafale some, Gripen others... If it was just one airplane from all of them you drive up the numbers and lower the cost. but its always just a few here, a few there. The only competition F-35 has had from the US is the Super Hornet, and only the USN was really unto it and that was predating JSF, people who signed JSF are staying JSF.

I, also, still think that the Rafale would be a better choice for many countries spending their dollars/yen/pesos/etc. on the F-35.

Countries spending on the F-35 are getting not only a better and more advanced plane, but better industrial participation over more units and a longer period of time. For Example Canada is looking to make their money back building JSF parts that will make up the cost of buying them. Uncle sugar is footing a large majority of the R&D cost as well. So if you are a foreign country you are getting a superior plane, superior offsets, upgrade tracks for decades, and all you have to do is pay the JSF program fees and wait to buy while your factories start employing people.

Even if the Rafale is better on paper, things like logisitics and sustainment must be looked at, and the French have screwed that up badly on several occasions and have earned a reputation that is not easily forgotten.

Rafale is not the 'last' of the Gen4/4.5 designs, it is 'older' than both Gripen and Typhoon.

Sales have been hampered by Dassault's disinclination to deal on price and lack of
coordination between Dassault and the French government, particularly on the foreign
trade side.

^this^

sorry I'm not trying to RW anyone to death, But there are a lot of issues with the Rafale not all of them a fault of the plane itself. If everything was equal, price, upgrades, sustainment, logistics, offsets, politics etc, Rafale would be doing better but that isn't the world we live in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:40:58 AM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
Canadian Air Force has never operated a French made aircraft though ----

Dassault CC-117 FALCON

Cheers,

Logan

D'oh!  forgot about that one (even got a kit of it in the stash) and of course there's the CC-150 Polaris.  But to be fair, they're not really 'war' planes are they ---