Author Topic: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86  (Read 41424 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:54 AM »
I've been doing little bits at a time just lately when I have time to do it, we've got family visiting for the summer and I had to get a room that I taken apart, put back together. I've been going from room to room getting the house upgraded to R20 insulation in the walls so not much model building I'm afraid.

I got some of the painting sorted out, as I had to sand most of it off 'cause I bollocked it up the first time.  Cockpit is coming along though, been testing this nice new paint brush for fine detail on it and it's coming out quite good (if I do say so myself   ;)  ) and the pilots are just about done too, just need to paint their faces/face-masks/sunglass etc.

To get the canopies to fit nicely to the fuselage, I carefully trimmed the canopy rail edge so it was the same thickness as the canopy itself. Then I glued some very thin styrene card strips to the inside edge and made them the same height as the metal edging of the canopy (the white pieces you can see through the canopy). I'll use these to glue the canopies to, but I painted up the rest of the inside of the metal edge of the canopy to cockpit grey colour
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:23:00 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »
Here's some pics of the paint scheme I've tidied up, still a work-in-progress at the moment though

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:15 AM »
I'm making up some decals to add to it too, because of all the sanding and reshaping of the fuselage, I've lost some of the panel lines. I haven't mastered re-scribing yet so I've made these decals instead. There might be a few more later too as I find what needs replacing.

The rectangle one on the left is the engine cover outline, and of course the others are the air brake outlines
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:39:50 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:20 AM »
That's just incredible, Robert and I'm glad you were able to steal time away from a busy house to post an update!

Sure looks like something they should've done even if they didn't.

Will be keeping an eye out for more awesomeness,
Brian da Basher

P.S. My scribing skills are so caveman you wouldn't know I actually use a tool and not a sharp stone.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Nice work :) :)
Scribing's easy if you make a template using Coke can ally, a pin vise and sharp needle. Tape it in place and just gently go around it 'till you've achieved your 'recessed panel line' detail.
Here's a pic or four to help explain,

105. CatchTemplateSml by Neil, on Flickr
106. CatchTemplateBsml by Neil, on Flickr
107. CatchTemplateCsml by Neil, on Flickr
108. CatchTopSml by Neil, on Flickr

Best thing is it's repeatable ;) Hope this helps :)
Neil 8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:07:00 PM by FAAMAN »
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
Here's some pics of the paint scheme I've tidied up, still a work-in-progress at the moment though
A marvelous result, like finished (for me)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
Nice work :) :)
Scribing's easy if you make a template using Coke can ally, a pin vise and sharp needle. Hope this helps :)
Neil 8) 8)

I never thought about using old pop cans as a source for template material, thanks for the tip   :) :) :) .  I think I'll give that a go and see what I can do, I've got the patterns already drawn out so shouldn't be a problem transferring it to template material.  And I have a scribing tool with a pin that is good for scribing onto metal.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2016, 02:55:46 AM »

That is brilliant  :-* Wow!  :) :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »

That is brilliant  :-* Wow!  :) :)

Thanks, I'm hoping to get the paint much better though.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:26 AM »
Hi, OK, I'm going to do my best to complete this one. Then if it goes fairly quickly, there's another to do which is quite advanced in it's build, but more on that later.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
Liked this concept from the get-go.  Look forward seeing it finished.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »
Thanks Bill, it shouldn't be too long, all I have to do is finish off the u/c bay doors, finish painting the pilots and cockpit, and touch up the exterior paint. Then onto the decals.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
Mmh, twelve days later, have you found time for going on? ??? I hope you will complete someday, no matter the end date of this GB... ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
Yes Tophe, I'm planning on doing some this weekend. It's the first time in 6 months I've managed to get three days off (yesterday though was a medical attention day, mrs kitnut had some knee surgery and I had to have my annual check-up and re-assessment of my diabetes treatment) 

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2016, 12:16:19 AM »
Looking forward to seeing more when life settles down a little

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2016, 05:03:13 AM »
Thanks guys for you interest, this is one I hope I can get finished.  I look at it every time I go to bed, 'cause much to mrs kitnut's chagrin, it sits on my bedside table

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:47 PM »
Thanks guys for you interest, this is one I hope I can get finished.  I look at it every time I go to bed, 'cause much to mrs kitnut's chagrin, it sits on my bedside table

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »
Well not a lot of progress, me and the missus got sick at the beginning of January, had a flu virus so bad we couldn't look after ourselves one day and ended up in hospital for help. Not felt very good since (even after taking a weeks worth of medication) and since then it's been a struggle to get my mojo going.

Anyway, before that happened I had finished my undercarriage bay doors, glued all the pylons, radar pod and fuel tanks on, plus the undercarriage too. No photos though as it doesn't look any different to some of the 'trial fitting' pics I posted earlier.

Anyway I'm hoping to get some done this weekend ----

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
I'm sorry to say I still haven't got this finished ---  :-X :-X :-X

Began some painting on the weekend but it was a case of do a bit, let it dry, do a bit let it dry. Had to take some bits off that I had glued on because I couldn't get to some parts that had to have paint on -----   :icon_crap:

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
No matter the date, the important thing is to achieve a result someday. Thanks to go on.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »
Done little bits off and on to the project, mostly gluing on what needs to be glued on and painting ----  I've since revised how the anti-glare panel will be though and tidied up more of the paint work since these photos were taken.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:06:29 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
A few more pics

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
This was well worth the wait Robert.  Can wait to see it flying over the Primrose Lake range attacking defenceless trees.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:09 AM »
That looks great! I really like the red panels and the updated anti-glare panels too.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »
Thanks guys, it's not quite up to snuff yet though, still a bit of work to get it how I want it to look. The anti-glare panel now goes back as far as where the tape that's holding the canopies on and down to the top of the gun bay access panels are. Remember when I was saying the left side of the kit is completely different to the right side earlier in the thread, well while revising the anti-glare panel I found out just how much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:07:45 AM by kitnut617 »