Author Topic: Korean War Sherman  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Korean War Sherman
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
Found a picture on the net of Australian troops hitching a ride on an American Sherman in the Korean war. And so when the parcel arrived from BNA I ignored everything else on the bench and worked on that project.

Geoff
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:57:27 AM by Camthalion »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Korean War Sherman
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 01:19:44 AM »
Impressive build as always!  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:25:57 AM »
Have you got the original inspiration picture that you can share as well?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »
Only a minor criticism.  Diggers don't wear the brim of their Slouch hats turned up when in the field.  They allow them down, with a heavy bend between the front and rear brims.   Also, when they do have the left side up, it is rolled, not folded.  They also need Puggarees around their hats - a lighter khaki coloured cloth copied (and named) after the Indian head dress with traditionally seven folds (or layers) of cloth.   Apart from that, a good job.

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »
It is the one Rickshaw has in the post above.

Only a minor criticism.  Diggers don't wear the brim of their Slouch hats turned up when in the field.  They allow them down, with a heavy bend between the front and rear brims.   Also, when they do have the left side up, it is rolled, not folded.  They also need Puggarees around their hats - a lighter khaki coloured cloth copied (and named) after the Indian head dress with traditionally seven folds (or layers) of cloth.   Apart from that, a good job.

I know, but the turned up brim is how they come molded and to be honest I wasn't in anyway prepared to buy two packs of heads just to avoid using them.  As for the Puggarees I got the idea for some reason to make them a darker, oh well I'll know for next time, but for nowI think that'll be a mistake I can live with. So the second pic is from Korea?  and our troops still did use the "tin lid'?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:06:14 PM by Camthalion »

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »
Geoff, I meant to ask, what kit did you use for the Sherman?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
It is the one Rickshaw has in the post above.

I know, but the turned up brim is how they come molded and to be honest I wasn't in anyway prepared to buy two packs of heads just to avoid using them.  As for the Puggarees I got the idea for some reason to make them a darker, oh well I'll know for next time, but for nowI think that'll be a mistake I can live with. So the second pic is from Korea?  and our troops still did use the "tin lid'?

Yes,  Primarily when dug in.  Tin hats are noisy and so when on patrol are rarely worn.   When I was in the Army, I was issued a tin lid only once, on exercise, K-82.  It was an American M1 style helmet.  Gosh, it was heavy.   We all immediately put the steel helmet in our echie bags and wore only the fibreglass liner.  As it was an exercise, we all knew it was just for show.   Otherwise, when we were working or on patrol, we just wore our Slouch Hats or Hats, Ridiculous.   We were only ever attacked once and that was by air.   As we were the main source of supply for both sides, it was felt that it would be better to leave us alone, rather than have the SASR come rampaging through us.   The air attack was deemed "a success" and that it had "wiped us out" and we all just went back to work, playing the parts of our replacements.    8)

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »

It is the Italeri Fury kit

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

It is the Italeri Fury kit

Thanks! I think this is the first build up of that kit I've seen and I really like it. I think I want to add that to my stash because apparently, I can never have too many HVSS Sherman tanks!  ;D