Author Topic: T28 US Super Heavy Tank - 1/72nd  (Read 12305 times)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
T28 US Super Heavy Tank - 1/72nd
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
I see the new 1/35th Dragon release of the T28 US Super Heavy Tank is now on sale at Hobbyeasy … and while I wait to get one it seemed like a good time to post up my 20mm wargaming version (resin kit by Cromwell). Still got a few things to add, the crew and the t/c's mg but as they wont go on for a while ... here it is.

Brent

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: T28 US Super Heavy Tank - 1/72nd
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:25 AM »
Luverly.  Looks like it really means business.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
the T-28's a mean lookin' beast alright -- that Cromwell kit don't look too bad  ...... you may have to mow that grass before it can move forward tho, Brent ;D

I'll have to wait to get my DML kit(s) until I pay the utilities & medical bills ($$$$$$$$$) & see if I can afford just one.  Probably wait a few months as the DML kits errors should make it a cheap buy fairly quickly.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
NICE!  :-*  This thing could look sci-fi without any mods other than paint.
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
Very nice. ;D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
Absolutely killer!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
See a tank in not only the traditional tank use sense.  But also a mobile coastal defense gun to engage ships.
Excellent finish and photography too.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »
I was asked by someone for a size comparison so I took a pic of it with some of my other Project '46 x-tanks ......... it's actaully quite lean. The Sherman is small, almost tiny but it's very tall - as tall as the TigerII which most people don't realise, ain't much hiding when you're in one of those.

Brent

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:32:37 PM by Queeg »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »
the T-28's tracks were 4 x 19.5" Sherman tracks -- the Cromwell kit's look much narrower here.  Everything about this T-28 kit looks much smaller than the other vehicles in the photos so I guess its really a smaller scale & can't be compared in this line-up ??

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:41:49 AM »
Hmmmm .....  interesting. So I had a quick measure up, ruler not vernier. The T28 tracks are around 6.7 - 6.8 which is just on 19" so a touch under and the M51s track is maybe a little over 8mm which would be close to the 23" the HVSS track should be.  Not perfect but given the T28 is a straight wargaming piece (tracks and hull are 3 pieces) and the M4 is supposedly an "scale" model I'd say both are close enough.

The T28s definitely look smaller in the pics for some reason though ...... the pic was just meant for approx comparison at any rate and at least I left out my 1/76th stuff!!!!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Awesome tanks!!  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
Each one a marvelous build (congrats) making for quite the collection.  :o  8)  :-*
Pictured together is so interesting to study.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Hmmmm .....  interesting. So I had a quick measure up, ruler not vernier. The T28 tracks are around 6.7 - 6.8 which is just on 19" so a touch under and the M51s track is maybe a little over 8mm which would be close to the 23" the HVSS track should be.  Not perfect but given the T28 is a straight wargaming piece (tracks and hull are 3 pieces) and the M4 is supposedly an "scale" model I'd say both are close enough.

Interestingly (and I didn't know this), but that's dead on.  Cromwell got it right with their 1/76 scale wargaming model, but Dragon got it wrong with their latest 1/35 scale release.  See the review on Missing Lynx.

But sadly DML muffed the dimensions of the vehicle as they apparently assumed it used standard T80 type tracks with a 23" width; it does not, as the tracks used for this tank were narrowed to only 19.5" each. The result is that the basic vehicle has a scale width of 131" (95mm) and the auxiliary tracks each have a width of 31.6" (23mm). That results in a total width of 194" (141mm); the actual vehicle dimensions were 124" and 27.75" or 179.5" (130.2mm) overall. The only good news is that, like the Commander Models M6 heavy tank, the vehicle is so big that many modelers probably won’t notice or care.

I never realized that the T28's tracks were narrower than the standard HVSS tracks.  That T28 is perfectly to scale, I think!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:52:18 AM »
Must agree on the builds... Awesome :o :). The Dragon 1/35 seems the ultimate platform for whiffing as it it actually wider than real world. Bolo/ Ogre anyone?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:01 AM »
Great to see the size comparison  :)  I'd no idea that the E-100 was so huge compared with the T28!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
The T28 is pretty cool, but the "awesome" readings are off the scale for the T29E3 !  >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline finsrin

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 01:42:08 PM »
Looking at 1/35 T28 to build as 1/72.  Be mobile shore defense 8" gun.  Top accommodates two Sherman turrets 75 or 76mm and two spots for M3 Lee or M5 Stuart 37mm turrets.
Such a deal  :D
See attached.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 04:05:43 PM »
The 37mm was obsolete by the time the US entered WW2, I'd be more inclined to look at AAA mounts.

Say quad .50cal's;

or a quad 20mm Skink turret;

or an early Twin (40mm) Gun Motor Carriage M19;

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 11:54:45 PM »
You could put mortar or rocket batteries in one or both of the rectangular openings for the engine cooling.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2023, 01:34:53 AM »
Like your suggestions guys  :smiley:
Rapid fire options good for closer in craft, landing/landed parties, aircraft.   Never would thought of mortar/rockets.
Is more flexibility with scaled styrene engineering than 1/1 RW.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2023, 07:55:37 AM »
Looking at 1/35 T28 to build as 1/72.  Be mobile shore defense 8" gun.  Top accommodates two Sherman turrets 75 or 76mm and two spots for M3 Lee or M5 Stuart 37mm turrets.
Such a deal  :D
See attached.

Set in the pre-American surrender world of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, a boondoggle at Aberdeen Proving Ground. The prototype was so big, it couldn't be moved far from the base and wound up being useless 'protecting' the upper reaches of the Chesapeake Bay.

Grid 17 / C-D below

Find a decent 3D print or kit for two donor M8 turrets, the 75mm howitzers being added for close-protection smoke and HE.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5887506
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266020655890
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 07:59:34 AM by Story »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2023, 04:28:00 PM »
Ya need prepared areas to drive on for repositioning gun as needed.  Drive behind berms unseen from ships to direct and indirect firing positions.
Deciding mix of top turrets is a challenge.