Author Topic: Sturm-Elephant  (Read 5523 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Sturm-Elephant
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »
Years ago I'd started converting an Italeri Elephant to a Porsche Tiger-1 but put it aside as Italeri had then released their complete kit. Now that I had the rocket-missile parts & interior left over from the Tamiya SturmTiger (see my SturmJäger build - http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1828.0 ), I wanted to use up the old cut-about kit.

Here's my "concept" photo using another old chassis -- that chassis will be returned to an ammo-carrier (the third re-build conversion for that model !!) after being made into a Porsche Tiger II prototype based on the only crude drawing then available.I found that the upper superstructure looked better reversed so it sloped back - it still fitted the hull quite well and the large Sturm mantlet fitted better.

I decided to open up the roof & back like a Marder SPG in order to best show off the interior, so after cutting the circular rear-plate out & fitting the mantlet, I cut the superstructure roof & back away. I then built & fitted the mortar, cutting a new aperture in the superstructure front for the gun-sight. I wanted to fit an mg for self-defence & chose to retro-fit an old shield & MG-42 from a Stug-IV when the model is ready.

I cleaned up the cut-about lower hull, glueing new sections to the rear sides & back. I juggled the interior parts for best positioning & fitted the Tamiya floor which was just a smidge narrow, filling the gap with some Plastruct angle. Next was the front bulkhead from the Tamiya kit, suitably cut 'n' shut as the Tiger hull is wider here -- it didn't fit perfectly at the top & bottom so gaps were filled with plasticard strips. The real Elephant has very roughly-cut scrap plates covering the rear electric drive-motors so I reproduced these with more plasticard. Next was the rear shelf for loading the ammo from card plus two separate angle-brackets from the Tamiya parts. Next I assembled & positioned the ammo stowage-racks, modifying the bottoms of two to sit better in the sponsons. The shell loading-cradle will need repositioning further aft so I cut new bases from Plastruct.

More later ....

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Re: Sturm-Elephant
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »
Very cool, I love the cut down rear hull !!!!   I have almost the same parts left over too, I was thinking of using them for a  Bar30cm ......

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Looking good.  Glad I sent my SturmTiger off to Zod so he can do something with it and a Maus or E100.  The original old school "Assault Breaker" :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:00:27 AM »
This looks very promising!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
Mildly disappointed this didnt involve an actual elephant  ;D... Still.... very high standard of work keep it up lad !!  :D

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »
What a cool beast!   :D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »
Wow what a great concept! While looking at it, I kept thinking of centipedes for some reason.

Brian da Basher

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »
Thanks guys, for some reason I'm on a roll at present :))

Mildly disappointed this didnt involve an actual elephant  ;D... Still.... very high standard of work keep it up lad !!  :D

well, this may not be the only Sturm-Elephant I do ;)

I also have these ...

and TWO of these ...

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »
BRILLIANT !! I'll be keeping an eye out for them !   ;)

Offline Mark Aldrich

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »
That Zvezda set is REALLY nice!  I just finished selling one on Ebay.  Too small for me to try!
Cry Havoc...and let slip the Dogs Of War!

TreadHead is NOT an ugly word!