Author Topic: M7 SPAAG - a little help?  (Read 6334 times)

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
M7 SPAAG - a little help?
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:52:25 AM »
My latest project - something a little different this time.

An old Matchbox M7 Priest a friend gave me, it has sat in my spares box for years
But now I have an idea - and here it is:

Question is: what camo/army should I do it as? 

Any help greatly appreciated chaps!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: M7 SPAAG - a little help?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:36 AM »
What era or country were you thinking?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:10 AM »
Well, I was thinking late '40's / early '50's - but I am open to any ideas!

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
US Army Korea would be the obvious choice, but perhaps one of the European nations that benefitted from US arms during the Cold War.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Maybe Berlin Brigade or Israeli?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:03 AM »
Or maybe one of the MERDC Schemes?

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:09:19 AM »
Or maybe one of the MERDC Schemes?
Pardon my ignorance, but.....eh!?!

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:31:31 AM »
MERDC was a camouflage system developed by the US Army during the Cold War.  It had a four-tone pattern that a number of colours could be assigned to dependent on where the vehicle was due to operate.

http://gurth.home.xs4all.nl/afv/merdc.html

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:36 AM »
Thanks!

Any other ideas guys?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »
I've always liked those W.W. I schemes where the different colors are all outlined in one dark color (often black). Would certainly contrast nicely with this project.

Brian da Basher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:22 AM »
MARPAT/CADPAT/Digi-Camo...try one of those for the paint scheme.

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Now for a little story - forgive me if my storytelling is a little rusty...

27th June 1986

‘…looks like it’s gonna be another thrilling day in Potsdamme Brucke, just me, the British guys marching about, and a whole lot of nothin’ to do.  How long do you suppose Col. Farnes can be mad at me for?  At least that Dutch girl , Anya, still writes me…!!

Not so bad here.  The Brits have some pretty good beer in their ‘NAAFI’, and my duties as US Army liason officer just mean that I gotta watch how they do stuff, and write reports on it.  We all know it’s just a ‘nothing ‘job, but I guess that’s what happens when you get caught in the hotel room of a Dutch General’s daughter!

About the only interesting thing to do around here (apart from the beer!) is helping ‘Sarge’ Winston out with his old tank.  He’s a funny old guy from the Royal Artillery - Lord knows how old, but the local comedians in the garrison reckon the forty year old camp was probably built around him!
  That tank is an odd one too - looks like an old M7 SPG hull that someone’s stuck a huge AAA turret on top of.  It’s ugly, ungainly, and probably unstable as hell, but it has a certain charm none the less!  The guys here call it the ’Bull’  I asked if that was as in ’Bull in a China Shop’, but they smiled, and replied ‘no, the other meaning!’

Whatever.  I like the old guy and his stories about the Falklands, and since my old man was in the tank restoration business, I wound up helping fix up the thing - none of it’s worn out - it just doesn’t work very well.
Hopefully, I’ll get to finish it before the Col. finds some way of kicking me out of the Army…’

Lt. Shaun Jacobs closed his diary thoughtfully.  It sure wouldn’t make good reading for the kids he one day hoped to have.  Neither would getting kicked out of the Army for ‘conduct unbecoming’ go down well with his ever disapproving mother.

He looked out towards the parade ground, where a squad of the 9th/17th Lancers were practising formation marching, to the tune of the bellowing tones of their RSM.  ‘No, not doing any Top Secret marches there - nothing to report!’ He thought idly.  He wondered if he should requisition a video camera, and film the parades…naah, no-one would bother watching it.

He shook himself out of his reverie, and headed for the old shelter where the ‘Sarge’ was working on his tank.  The shelter was tucked away in a small wood behind the barracks, well away from the sheds where the Lancers Sabre light tanks were parked.  One of the doors was open, and muffled swearing, interspersed with loud clanging could be heard from within.
  Jacobs eased through the gap between the doors, and took in the scene inside:  Sarge’s ever present civilian assistant, Joey was squatting on the APU housing, shining a big worklight in the turret electronics bay, and passing tools to Sarge, whom was headfirst in the bay, only his legs sticking out.  Every so often, an arm would stick out of the hatch too, and a muffled voice would request another tool.
Joey looked up at his approached, and offered a quick thumbs up to Jacobs.  ‘What’s he up to?’  mouthed Jacobs.  Joey shrugged his shoulders.

Just then, a voice floated out of the hatch  ‘Oi - I said an adjustable, not a ring spanner, you prat!’  Joey hastily supplied the correct tool, and Jacobs couldn’t could help but reply ‘See, I TOLD you he talks out of his arse - he sounds clearer that way!’

A muffled ‘eh!’ came from inside the tank, followed by a thud, and a much louder ’Oww!!’ and Winston slid out of the hatch, rubbing the back of his head ruefully.  ‘Oh , it’s you is it, Yank?!  Stop bloody well messing about, and get the fuel injectors reset like you said you would!  Honestly, farting about like that wouldn’t get you far in the south atlantic, and I…’  He went on for a bit as he dived back into the guts of the radar.
Jacobs smiled as he unlatched the engine cover, it was just like coming home…

< - >

A distant rumbling awoke Jacobs from a fitful sleep.  The glowing face of his Omega dutifully reported that it was half six in the morning.  Shouting and vehicles starting up could be heard outside his room.
  Jacobs hurriedly dressed, grabbed his webbing belt, and dashed out of the door:-
The scene outside seemed to be one of utter confusion:  troops ran this way and that, without any seeming pattern.  Then Jacobs saw the RSM directing things, and made his way to him.

The man was issuing orders at a fantastic rate - he glanced over at Jacobs in between orchestrating the defences, and requesting reinforcements - ‘Better get to your post, sir…  Russians are coming!’  He remarked dryly, before stalking off, barking orders as he went.
‘And where the heck is that‘, wondered Jacobs, as he struggled to get his head round the RSM’s off hand comment - were they really at war?

His question was answered as the horizon lit up with an almost too bright light - people in the open shielded their eyes, and gazed at each other in mute horror.  Surely the Soviets couldn’t be that crazy, could they?

It was then that some one touched his arm.  He spun around to see ‘Sarge’ Winston, and the ever faithful Joey standing there.  Clearly, they had been grabbing an early breakfast; Winston had dribbles of tomato sauce down his overalls, and Joey was juggling a hot pasty of  some sort he’d rescued.
  ‘Come on Yank - I reckon your post is with us, lad’, and he led the way to the shelter where the ‘Bull’ was kept.  ‘I think we’re going to need some AAA support soon…’
The shelter doors squeaked and squealed  as they were hauling them open, and the early morning light shone weakly across the bow of the Bull, glinting off the cannon muzzles.  ‘You really think this thing’ll work?  asked Jacobs, warily.  Joey smiled grimly, shrugged his shoulders, and scrambled up the hull, and into the drivers seat.  ’Not one for wasting words, is our Joey’ said Winston with a smile ‘we’ll be fine - come on Yank, you’re with me’  He gestured up to the turret, and started to climb the rings set in the hull sides.
Suddenly, they stopped - the garrison air raid siren began its mournful wailing
‘JOEY !!’  yelled Winston,  ‘Start her up!  We’re about to have company!!’

From the drivers hatch came a thumbs up signal, while from the back of the vehicle came an asthmatic wheezing and groaning sound.  Joey played around with the controls furiously until, with a stuttering roar, the big old Continental radial burst into life.  Winston dropped into the turret, and immediately began throwing switches.  Jacobs followed suit, but stayed stood up in the hatch to see what was going on.

The Bull clanked slowly out of its shelter, and trundled heavily down the access road towards the parade ground, Winston, muttering obscenities under his breath, working hard on an open electrical panel.  From his vantage point, Jacobs could see the perimeter defences of the base, wher they troops were setting up extra sandbags to make another machine gun position.  But he could see something else too.
‘Hinds!!’ he screamed down into the turret, as the huge attack helicopters popped up over the treeline they had used to cover their approach, and dashed for  the base.  White trails slashed from their wings as they salvo fired their rockets at the walls.  Hefty explosions raged along the defence perimeter, blowing the gate and surrounding wall apart.  One of the Hinds slashed directly towards the Bull, nose turret turning to bear…

‘DOWN!! ‘  yelled Winston, as he grabbed Jacobs, and pulled him down into the turret.  He scrambled past him, and slammed the hatches shut, just as the Hind’s gunner opened up with his 12.7mm rotary machine gun.   

CLANG!CLANG!CLANG!SPANG!SPANG!

The rounds thudded into the armour, striking an incredible line of sparks down the vehicles side as the Hind strafed them from stem to stern.  The noise was incredible.  A dazed Jacobs watched as Winston leapt back into the gunners seat, and yelled into the intercom ’Hold it here Joey!’  Instantly, the Bull slewed to a halt, and Winston took advantage of the stillness to finish the connections on the open panel, and push it back into place with a thunk.  He turned to face Jacobs  ‘Look here lad, those Hinds are too fast to target manually - we’ll have to fire up the radar system - if it doesn’t work, get ready to bail out - fast!!’
Then he turned to the main control panel, and flicked on the master switch.  On top of the Bull, the dish for the modified AI23 AIRPASS radar, that had hung limply in its cradle abruptly jerked upwards on its mounts, and began to rotate leisurely.  Meanwhile, the Hind’s had looped around the woods, and one had detached from the main group, and was settling into position for an anti-tank missile shot at the  strange AFV by the parade ground.

In the turret, the radar display showed the grim news ‘ We’re getting outflanked here Sarge’ noted Jacobs heavily.
Winston pointed urgently ‘Quick - that panel to the left of the cupola controls - flick that guarded switch from ‘MANUAL’ TO ‘AUTO’….and hold on!’

Meanwhile, the Hind’s gunner centred the tank in his sight, and started to pull the trigger…

And all hell broke loose.
                                                                             < - >

Lance Corporal Wayne Jackson was witness to what happened next.  From his sniper position, high up in the trees, he could see the Bull stop by the parade ground, and be strafed by the  Hinds.  Now he was watching the massive attack helicopters loop around the woods, one of them sneaking up on the Bull from behind the barracks.  Slowly, it rose up - obviously to line up a missile shot, and there was no way for Jackson to warn the crew of the tank.

Suddenly, the radar dish, which had started turning slowly stopped, pointing directly at the Hind.   

Then something happened that Jackson could scarcely believe.

Within seconds, the turret whipped around, almost too fast to follow, and the twin cannons smoothly elevated to match where the radar was pointing.  Even before they had lined up completely, the twin guns opened fire, casting a sickly orange glow over the tank as they hurled rounds at the Hind.
   For a split second, as Jackson watched,  the Bull and its target seemed connected by a streamer of red  light, just like one of those Star Wars films his girlfriend loved.  The Hind seemed held in place for the longest moment, pinned against the sky by the ferocity of that barrage, dozens of vicious explosions bursting along its armoured flanks as the twin Bofors pumped high explosive shells at it - then, with a sudden gout of flame enveloping its right wing, the Hind collapsed on to the parade ground, crumpling like tin foil.

The inside of the Bull’s hull resounded to cheers as the Hind went down.  ‘I told them it would work, I told them!!’ crowed Winston, with a fierce grin on his face, he grabbed the headset,  ‘Lets go Joey, this thing is supposed to be able to fire on the move, so lets make tracks!!’
  They moved off toward the main gate, taking snapshots at any Hinds that flew too close, damaging one sufficiently to drive it away, trailing oily smoke as it retreated to safety.

Jackson shook his head in disbelief: who’d have thought that old crock could do that!

They rumbled down the road to the main gate, dodging the larger debris, until the Bull reached the ruins of the main gate.
 Winston, Joey , and Jacobs were silent as they surveyed the destruction, however here and there, surviving troops appeared from foxholes nearby.  Celebrations were short lived though, as a mortar bombardment drove the troops undercover once more.  ‘You know what happens now - mechanized infantry assault’,  guessed Winston.  He wasn’t far wrong - soon enough, cannon rounds started ripping up the ground around the machine gun posts.

‘Just a sec’, grunted Winston, ‘Gotta change magazines over’ he said , as he yanked down on a selector lever.  Loud clunks could be heard from the ammo bins either side of the cannons, as the feed lines automatically clamped on to different magazines.  And not a moment too soon, as a BMP-1 amphibious tank nosed around the end of the road.
‘Back us up into cover Joey - make it fast!!’

The Bull shot back into the cover of the ruined Guardhouse as Joey floored the accelerator, and Winston shouted to Jacobs ‘You’ll have to fire manually - the radar won’t lock onto ground vehicles, use the sights in your cupola!’

Jacobs grabbed the control yoke in front of his station, flicked the fire controls to manual, and peered out through the commanders sight.  Superimposed on the periscope lens, was a simple gunsight, which he layed on the nose of the BMP as it cautiously pushed through the rubble at the gate
  He waited until the first third of the vehicle was around the corner before jamming his fingers down on the twin triggers on his yoke.
  The twin Bofors guns barked into life once again, this time hurling APHE rounds into the BMP  at 450 rpm, riddling the tank with baseball sized holes.  The turret leapt slightly off its track, and thick smoke boiled out every hatch.

Winston was beside himself with glee - he positively radiated fierce pride in his tank.  ‘Ha ha!  What do you think of that, guys?’
‘Nice.’  Came the laconic reply from the drivers seat.

< - >

Enemy infantry poured machine gun fire at them from amongst the ruins, an RPG exploded nearby, and once again the cannons spoke their litany of fury…
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:00:14 AM by deathjester »

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19:23 AM »
I seem to have not put any other pics up of this!  How silly of me... :icon_crap:

Also working on a bit more of the story...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »
Looking good.

Offline deathjester

• stormfront models
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
Here's some more story for ya!

“Not too sure how we’ve survived the past couple of weeks…If it hadn’t been for that M-1 tank platoon showing up, our goose woulda been cooked back at PotsdammeBrucke!  As it is, we’ve stuck with them during the pull back, along with the rest of the Lancers we managed to get out of the  base before the Soviets finally overran it.
We’re holed up in an old schoolyard now - right in the middle of the school, as an M-1 with a ‘dozer blade punched a hole right the way through!  Now, we can only be seen from directly above.  Not feeling as safe as you might expect from that though - Sarge Winston reckons that there’s something coming ‘in the wind’, as he puts it - something bad…”

“Come on Yank, get your nose out of that book -  your bosses want to see us!  Jacobs was startled out of his reverie by Winston shouting and gesturing at him from the door to what was the school hall.  He followed Winston through the hallway, past the debris of primary school lessons long past - a row of cheery pictures beamed up at him from under the wreckage of a display cabinet, and dog eared school notices hung limply from a noticeboard.
  They rounded a corner, and stepped into the hive of activity that was the temporary command post.  Maps seemed to cover every available surface, most with officers crowded around them, animatedly discussing tactics and troop movements.  A nearby radio crackled with reports that were studiously not replied to; no-one could afford to give the enemy the slightest tip off to the C.P’s location.

Winston and Jacobs approached the main map table, and stood  taking in the situation for several minutes before one man looked up at them tiredly - he motioned them closer, and they could see the rank of Major battered but proud on his collar, along with the fatigue evident in the deep lines around the man’s eyes.
“My name’s Johnson, and Ah guess you’re Winston an’ Jacobs?”   At their affirmative reply he grunted,  “Well, nice work so far guys - but Ah’m afraid we got a little job for you - come look at this here map…”
Johnson motioned at a section of the map, where they could see counters representing what seemed to be a whole Soviet army group, apparently hiding behind a mountain range.  “We’re not too sure what these guys are waiting for - by rights, they should be pressing our lines, looking for a weak spot to exploit, but they’re just sitting there waiting - have been for two whole days now.  We’re moving troops up to plug the gaps in our lines, provide some defence in depth“. 

Johnson paused, leaning heavily on the map table.  “Truth be told, we reckon they might be gearing up for a Nuclear strike, but we need to know what is going on - so we’re going to do a little recon in force, and you guys are gonna be the anti-air support!”  He pointed at an area near the edge of the mountains “If you see a recon plane of any sort orbiting around here, you’ll know they’re fixing on ordering in some kind of NBC strike - so, take it out FAST!”

Soon enough, the Bull was trundling through ruined towns, and pockmarked cornfields, in convoy with a four tank platoon of M-1’s, and a pair of Humvee weapons carriers further ahead that acted as their scouts.
Winston was standing up in the gunners hatch, with a large map spread out in front of him, when Jacobs opened up the cupola hatch next to him, and asked jokingly “What!  You lost already Sarge!?!”

Winston grunted good - humouredly “Quiet dumbass, I’m thinking”  Jacobs smiled wickedly, “Oh, that’s what the noise is” chuckled Jacobs, “I thought we’d bust a drive sprocket!”

“I reckon”, said Winston thoughtfully, “That if we head on over to this ridgeline, and park on top, we’ll have a pretty good view of the approaches to that mountain range”

As they spoke, two ominous specks appeared low on the horizon.  “Uh, Sarge…we might have a problem here…“  Jacobs peered at them intently, as the Bull’s RWR started ticking slowly…
                                                              --------- z ---------

General Kirilenko savoured his vodka, as his Ilyushin Il-76 Airborne Command Post cruised over (?), towards the (?) mountains.  From this lofty eyrie, he could command his divisions, control other Warsaw Pact forces, and, most importantly command the disposition, and firing, of his fleet of tactical nuclear weapons.
He turned to the tactical display, and noted the readiness of the assault units for the cleanup operation. As he did so, his deputy appeared at his side.
‘Comrade General, the pilot reports we are 5 minutes from the mountains.  The man smiled grimly. ’Shall I order the strategic rocket troops to readiness?’

‘Patience Valentin!’  The General scolded gently, ‘We shall teach the Frenchies the error of their ways soon enough!’  He patted the side of  the launch order code transmitter to illustrate his point.  Both men chuckled darkly as they turned to look out of the observation window.

Meanwhile, the Bull was clawing its way up the hill, engine howling in low gear.  They’d already mowed down one of the roving fighters protecting the command post :  the one remaining Su-27 was hiding somewhere nearby, sticking to the valleys amongst the low hills, staying clear of the deadly AAA fire that had savaged his wingman.  Joey was working the controls furiously to keep the Bull upright on the steep slope, Jacobs helping by keeping the turret facing their direction of travel as much as possible, lest the heavy ammo bins upset their delicate balancing act. 
  Meanwhile, Winston was sitting in front of the radar screen, nervously watching the display for signs of the returning Soviet fighter, and softly swearing under his breath.  The perilous ascent didn’t help his mood at all - Jacobs could just about hear  ‘…not designed for this…strip the final drive for sure….’ as he chuntered under his breath, mostly to allay his nerves.
Then, with a thump that surprised them all, the Bull crested the top of the hill, and crashed down heavily on it suspension.
‘Come on Yank!’  called Winston , as he jumped up through the hatch, and onto the top of the turret.  Jacobs followed suit, and helped Winston disconnect the heavy secondary APHE ammo magazines .  Next, they opened up one of the storage bins on the tanks fenders, to reveal the two stand-alone super-charge magazines, carefully packed in foam holders.  Jacobs reached out for one of the magazines, but Winston stopped him.  ‘Be careful with these things lad - they’ve got three times the standard powder load, and they’re packed with Octol, same explosive they use to detonate nukes…I haven’t had a chance to test these yet…they may be a little…twitchy, if you know what I mean!’
Jacobs nodded slowly, gingerly hoisted one of the magazines into his arms, and carefully climbed back onto the turret.  There, he and Winston seated each magazine into the breeches of the Bofors, before sliding back into the confines of the turret, casting worried glances around them for the missing Sukhoi.

The big Ilyushin thundered closer to mountain range, and in the command centre, Kirilenko turned to his deputy.  ‘It is time Valentin - ready the troops!’  As the man began relaying orders to his radio operators, Kirilenko began typing his codes into the nuclear launch order transmitter.

The Bull was now operating on EMCON, or emissions control, Winston only activating the radar in short bursts, and at low power.  The radar had just picked up a large target, closing  slowly, and Jacobs fed the height, range, and speed into the predictor computer . After a couple of seconds of clicking and clattering, one of the secondary displays showed the aircrafts projected track and position.  A countdown appeared in the top right corner, showing when the computer thought that the target would be in range.  ‘Well‘, remarked Winston conversationally, ‘this is either gonna work, or we’re gonna have plenty of egg on our faces…not to mention bits of breech block…’  He punctuated that by jabbing his thumb onto the cocking button - a series of clunks echoed through the turret as the breech blocks cycled open, chambering a round, then slamming shut again.  They were ready.
The countdown reached ten seconds, the radar began powering up, and the turret turned slowly to the left, guns elevating…
The timer reached zero, and the world erupted in noise.

Kirilenko was lost in his thoughts, as he waited for the aircraft to begin its descent to the safety of the shadow of the mountains.  Soon, he would have his breakthrough, when his nuclear missiles tore a gaping hole in the Allied lines, which Third Shock Army was poised to  take full advantage of.  He was so entranced by the nearness of victory, that he failed to notice the first of the shells exploding nearby.

The first of the shells leaving the barrel startled Joey badly: he was expecting the shot, and had locked the suspension to stabilise the Bull as far as possible.  What he wasn’t expecting was the 27 foot long muzzle blast, as the super-charge rounds blasted skywards, the recoil mechanisms barely coping with the high powered shells.  Inside the turret, Jacobs and Winston watched  the liquid cooled guns temperature gauges in awe as they visibly climbed towards the red zone.  The whole 35-ton tank shook repeatedly as each over powered round left the barrels.  The temperature gauges soared further into the red with each successive shot…

In the Ilyushin’s cockpit, the professional calm was shattered by the wail of a klaxon.  The colour drained from the co-pilots face as he saw the threat display light up.  Immediately, they threw the controls hard over , as the first shells began to detonate.

The plane suddenly began banking sharply to the left, staggering Kirilenko.  His deputy grabbed him as he went past, pulling him into an empty seat.  ‘the pilot reports we are under fire!’  he yelled over the rising howl of the engines.

Over twenty of the super-charge shells had been fired, the triple powder load giving them an effective altitude of better than 30,000 feet.  As  they neared their target, the shells semi automatic fusing systems registered the detonate command from the Bull’s radar, and began exploding.  Unfortunately, as the Ilyushin turned sharply, it lost a little altitude - no more than a hundred feet at most, but it was enough.  Instead of detonating near the plane, at least four of the high powered shells slammed into the aircraft’s wing box, exploding a fraction of a second after impact, and leaving dustbin-sized holes through the structure.
  Unsurprisingly, the whole wing began to shear away, fires blossoming along it’s length as fuel lines ruptured, and sparks flew from decimated electrical systems.  The plane shuddered viciously as it began to come apart. 
Kirilenko struggled along the deck, fight the g-forces as the plane began to spin out of control, trying to reach the launch code transmitter, when one of the final shells, perhaps guided by vengeance, slammed through the observation windows and exploded, blowing apart the command centre, and ending the ambitions of one General Yuri Kirilenko.

The temperature gauge pegged at the top of its travel, and Winston leaned over and slapped his hand down on the emergency shutdown button,  ‘That’s it - shut it down before rounds cook off in the breeches!’  The radar screen told its own tale, as the target blip separated  into smaller pieces, and both men sat back in relief as  the blips left the bottom of the screen.  ‘Looks like we saved the world, Sarge!’ Jacobs joked.  Winston began to reply, when the radar screen bleeped at them, and a small, fast trace appeared, headed straight for them.

The Su-27 popped up from the valley at the bottom of the hill, and bored in on the strange tank that had blasted it’s wingman into ashes.  The pilot bared his teeth in triumph as he armed and launched two missiles straight at the vehicle.

Joey was leaning out of the drivers hatch, watching the fireworks thousands of feet above, when sudden movement in his peripheral vision caught his attention.  To his horror, the missing Sukhoi was bearing down on them, the sunlight glinting viciously off of the deadly needles of the missiles slung under its wings.  Joey dove back into the drivers seat, landing hard with a grunt.  He slammed the tank into gear and floored the throttle, even before the first cries of “MOVE IT” crackled through his headset.  The Bull’s Continental R-975 radial screamed brutally as it went from idle to  full power in seconds, hurling the tank forwards. 
  The missiles slammed into the ground where the Bull had just been moments before, the Sukhoi screaming overhead seconds later, pilot howling obscenities to the wind as his quarry tore away.

Inside the Bull’s turret, there were plenty more obscenities, as Winston furiously tried to reset the fire control system, while Jacobs wrestled with the magazine controls, attempting to reload the guns with their high explosive AAA ammo.
“It’s no good Yank, the guns are still too hot!  The system won’t re-initialise with the gauges still pegged!
Meanwhile, on the radar screen, the Sukhoi looped around, and began cruising back for the kill.

Then, it happened.  Joey, trying to see where the fighter was attacking from, failed to see a large boulder stuck in the earth near the edge of the trail.  He swerved at the last second, but it was too late: the Bull skidded sideways into the boulder, slamming into it roughly next to the left front roadwheel.  The armoured track guard withstood the blow, but the force of it, coupled with the full speed skid pulled the left track clear off its sprocket.  The Bull immediately slewed to a halt, engine stalled.  In the turret,  it was chaos, as the crash threw Jacobs hard into the turret wall, his left shoulder dislocating with a sickening pop.  Over his groans of agony, Winston could hear Joey calling out groggily,  “TRACK!!, we’ve thrown a track!!”

The radar, running on power from the APU, showed the Sukhoi, still bearing down on them, closing slowly, probably for a gun pass, thought Winston sourly.  He thumped the console hard out of pure frustration - any second now, 30mm shells from the fighter would tear through the thin turret armour, and that would be that.

Then, Winston blinked in surprise:  the red ’overheat warning light’, which had been constantly glaring at him from between the twin barrel heat gauges had gone out, and the temp. had dropped!  Desperately, Winston threw himself at the ‘AUTO’ setting switch, as the Sukhoi began to fire.

The guns jerked upwards in their mounts as the system re-engaged, and erupted into a cacophony of noise and flame as the twin Bofors went to maximum rapid fire mode, hurling 40mm death at the attacking fighter.

Far too close to dodge, the Flanker seemed to literally absorb every round fired into it, before erupting into a titanic fireball.

The flaming wreckage screamed downwards, straight at the Bull.  Winston gaped in horror at the camera display, and then just shut his eyes, and did something truly out of the ordinary - he prayed.

Epilogue
30th August, 1986
Berlin
Newly minted Major Shaun Jacobs stood on the review stand, barely hearing the congratulations of the senior officers clustered around him.  The gleaming medal on his chest contrasted harshly with the plaster cast that ran from his shoulder to his wrist, holding his left arm across his chest, at a semi comfortable angle.  It seemed like no time at all had passed since that final, awful confrontation on that hilltop in (?).
 Row after row of vehicles and troops paraded past the stand, so many that they just became a blur after a while.
‘Cheer up lad!’  whispered the gray haired British General to his right, ‘Looks like some of your chums have dropped in to say hello…!’  He gestured  down  the street, where Jacobs could faintly hear a familiar clattering.  As it grew louder, he was astounded to see the Bull, resplendent in freshly painted Berlin Brigade camouflage, clank around the street corner, with a proud figure stood upright in the turret hatch.
As the tank trundled sedately past the review stand, Winston turned to face the reviewing officers, and performed a perfect salute, which Jacobs and the Generals returned.  Joey gave his own, inimitable salute - as they drew abreast Jacobs, a hand shot up from the drivers hatch, and gave a huge thumbs up…

And there the story of the Bull and her crew comes to a close. Jacobs going on to a stellar career with US Army Systems Command, and finally getting together with that Dutch Generals daughter.

As for ‘Sarge’ Winston, he and Joey retired to Norfolk, and work at the Muckleburgh Tank Collection, where he ‘arranged’ for the Bull to be shipped to.  Every so often, he regales visitors with tales of ‘The Third World War’, and his part in it, which grows more death-defying and with every telling,  Joey smiles quietly at the stories, shakes his head, and contents himself with taking visitors for rides in the Bull along the beaches.

Six Months Later:
Somewhere in Whitehall

The last of the committee members entered the room, took their seats according to rank, and the doors were locked and sealed.  The security personnel performed one last sweep of the room, and, satisfied that they had found nothing, nodded to the man standing at the top of the table, and withdrew to their side room.
 The man tapped gently on the glass sitting by his notebook to silence the light chatter in the room; 
  ‘Gentlemen’, he intoned graciously, ‘Thank you for coming - let us begin’  He motioned to the projectionist, who dimmed the lights, and activated her  projector.  As images of an AFV with a large, boxy turret, retractable radar, and a low, sleek hull began to appear on the screen behind him, the man began his report.
‘As you can see, the prototype has been assembled, using hull components from the new Challenger MBT, and has undergone some successful mobility testing already.  Our technicians assure me that the prototype will be nuclear-capable by the end of the month…’