Author Topic: RAM F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48 - Finished - Pic's pg.2  (Read 12985 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
RAM F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48 - Finished - Pic's pg.2
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:52:49 AM »
Started this a bout a week ago. Going to be pretty much an OoB build with a colour scheme inspired by PantherG (below).

No pic's yet & I'm only in slow-build mode (as I'm trying to finish off my armour projects, too), plus I may buy a couple of detail pieces to lift the end product a bit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:07:10 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Re: RAM F6F-3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:23:38 AM »
This I like! Great idea, I can't wait to see it in plastic.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
Oooooooooo!!!!!  Me likey A LOT!!!!!  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
Thanks, guys! :)

To fill in a bit of time:

I forgot to mention it's HobbyBoss 1/48 scale. I've just ordered the detail bits & paints from BNA Models, so they should be here early next week (I hope).

Spent ages cleaning this the other day because it felt oily & I could even see oil/release agent on it, scrubbed it like crazy. Forgot to wipe it down with metho, though, & the Tamiya white primer I sprayed on everything yesterday ..... Well, let's just say I'm not f@%&*^g happy. Looks like I'll be carefully sanding & re-scribing panel lines & fastener holes for the next few days.

Few interesting errors with the kit that I've found, so far;
- oily, lots of oil (release agent?), enough to actually damage the surface of the kit in some places (luckily nowhere I couldn't fix it easily);
- no gun barrels for the .50's (in the BNA Models order);
- no cowl flaps over the lower exhaust pipes (not even lines marking them), which I'm fixing at the moment;
- chin vent is closed off, it should open onto the lower cylinders (fixed);
- fit is good but not great, so I see some careful, minor PSR work in my future; &
- a few ejector pin markings in easily seen places (like high up in the cockpit), most of which I've fixed.

All that said, though, it's actually quite a nice kit, so far, with, I think, a better than average fit & good detail.

Cheers! :icon_beer:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:41:51 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
This should be good . . . . . . .

Actually hoping it was in 1/32 (like your first F6F) or maybe 1/72, can't have everything I 'spose ::)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
Sadly, I can't even remember building that! :icon_crap:

I'm getting Old Timers Disease! :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:26:12 AM »
That's a very fetching scheme indeed and I'm most looking forward to see your take on it!

Seems a cut above the usual WW II SEA scheme, but I could be simply demonstrating my vast ignorance.

Will be on the watch for progress,

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
OK, this is on hold until the beginning of next month, when it will be (one of?) my entry(ies) in a GB elsewhere. ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:21:45 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
Hope you don't mind Wombat, but from 1983 we have your Hasegawa 1/32 scale F6F-3 Hellcat in the markings of USNavy VF-17. Your first Hellcat I believe purchased in Nowra NSW.

Enjoy!!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Hotly Carp! :icon_surprised:

Now I remember it! :D

Thanks, mate! Glad someone took photo's. :-\

From memory (& we can all see how well that's working), my only F6F until this one.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
OK, the GB has started & I'm slow off the mark! :o

---------------------------------------------------------------

Movement: miniscule
Satisfaction: high (with acheived goals)

Yep, I've only really done the engine but I'm happy with the results.

I'm using an Eduard detailing set for the cockpit &, as this is the 1st time I've ever tried this kind of thing, I'm struggling with the level of forward planning it involves.

Still, ya gotta try to learn. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Since my last post on the F4D-1P Spyray I've put it aside & returned to this build, finally confronting my fear of all the fiddly little detaily Eduard PE I bought for the cockpit (This is my 1st use of this level of PE detailing sets).

So far ... Not too bad! :D

I've found that PE pieces of all sizes will ping off into the wild blue yonder for no apparent reason & some of the placement indicators are a bit too vague (I've spend 3 hours of the last 3 days modelling time hunting down wayward parts <Haven't lost one .... Yet!> & about 1.5 hours juggling 2 pieces so that they look OK because the instruction positions are impossible to replicate).

Overall, I must say I'm highly impressed with the detail (although some elements do lack a bit of depth) & the unexpected ease with which they go together, especially the 2-part instrument panels.

Anyway, photo's sometime in the next few days, I think.

Offline FAAMAN

Re: 1/48 RAM F6F-3
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 06:48:10 AM »
Hey Wombat, if there is a prob with 'depth of detail' in any PE parts, I use either Gel Cyano (Loctite Power Flex) or a mix of Tamiya grey putty mixed with isopropyl alcohol to make it 'paintable' to increase the diameter of sections that should be more 3D than the produced 'flat' initial PE bit. It may take a couple of carefully applied coats but it does work. Just make sure you do all folding first ;D
Hope this helps ;) ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:15 AM »
So, photo's of the cockpit. There are quite a few of them & they show how appalling my build of this is - up really, really close. With normal eyeball view it looks pretty good - a bit rough in spots due to fit problems & those damned vague instructions, again.

Anyway, here are the pic's:

It's all been wrapped up, now, as I've glued the fuselage together &, hopefully, things will move a little faster.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
Nice work :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
Thanks, mate! :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
Yes, looking good  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 10:26:22 PM »
Thanks, apophenia! :)

This & my other current build, the F4D-1P Spyray, are my forays into aircraft modelling in preparation for building my version of your Sea Wallaby. ;)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 02:51:22 AM »
Details are so fine and realistic. :)
Beyond anything I can do.  Like every bit of it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Thanks, Bill!

Just remembered I have to finish off & fit the gun sight before I strat on the canopy & painting. ::)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »
Nice one... 1st PE is it ...Bwahahaha

The office looks a treat

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
Thanks, Brian!

Forgot to mention: Wings & tail-planes are on!

(Strangely, there have been unexplained "Brrrrvvvmmm!" & "Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!-Dakka!" noises occurring around the house when no-one else is home. :icon_surprised: )

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
That sounds serious Wombat, ever seen "Small Soldiers"? ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
That cockpit is just too good to be believed!!  :o
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
Oh yeah, this is going to be sweet.  Love the cockpit work, plus all the other nice detailing which will never be seen again!  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »
Oh yeah, this is going to be sweet.  Love the cockpit work, plus all the other nice detailing which will never be seen again!  ;)

Yeah, it's weird but both the front tank & the engine mounts are completely invisible once the fuselage is put together & the rear tank is next to invisible even through the over-shoulder windows.

Most of the cockpit work is still visible &, as the canopy will be open, should stay that way.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »
OK, paint work is crap but I'm not re-doing it (there seems to be a LifeColor vs Tamiya/Testors rattle can issue).

Decals are on awaiting 2nd gloss coat.

Next is an attempt at pin-washing panel lines & some weathering/wear-&-tear.

:icon_crap:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 02:15:07 AM »
Photo's tomorrow later today, after I've had some sleep! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
Well, here it is:

Only 912 (MS_?) & 913 (MV_?) Squadrons flew the F6F-3 Hellcat during WW2, operating from the "light fleet" carrier HMAS Adelaide. In May, 1944, HMAS Adelaide joined the US carriers USS Essex, USS Wasp and USS San Jacinto in TG 12.1 to strike Marcus Island on 19 to 20 May 1944 and Wake on 23 May 1944. Then travelled south with them to link up with TF 58 to support the occupation of the Marianas on 12 June to 10 August - where Royal Australian Marines were landing alongside US Marines for the first time. During the engagements of the Battle of the Philippine Sea, on 19th of June, 1944, HMAS Adelaide was the only ship of Task Group 58.2 hit by a Japanese dive bomber, the plane making a kamikaze attack after being struck by anti-aircraft gunfire. Unfortunately the entirety of 912 Sqn was on deck refuelling & re-arming when the plane struck, the squadron taking severe casualties. Although not seriously damaged, HMAS Adelaide was unable to fly aircraft, she returned immediately to Australia for repairs. Meanwhile 913 Sqn, which had taken off to combat the air attack, were directed to land aboard USS Lexington of TF 58.3 but did not take further part in the battle.

After the Battle of the Philippine Sea 913 Sqn were transferred to USS Wasp, which diverted south, & were flown off to New Britain, where they assisted in the final, bloody capture of Rabaul. 913 Sqn, then, re-embarked aboard HMAS Adelaide in mid-October as she sailed north-west to partake in the wholly Australian operation to take northern Borneo. The operation was designed to protect the south-western flank of the Leyte landings & to draw out at least some of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Landing simultaneously with the US Leyte operation on the 20th of October, 1944, in Labuk Bay 2Div. RAM encountered little effective resistance, although one of their secondary landings, at Sandakan, confirmed intelligence reports of some of the worst atrocities in the Asia-Pacific region. At sea the predominantly RAN fleet engaged aircraft & surface elements of Admiral Nishimura's Southern Force, sinking several destroyers & two cruisers, & claiming 40 aircraft destroyed.

Depicted is MV_K, piloted by Sgt Henry Dewhurst of 913 Sqn, as it appeared whilst flying from the Australian Army Air Service airfield at Merai on New Britain.

Hope she meets with your approval!

Thanks for looking! :)

Offline PantherG

• I´m only poor mad doodler/modeller....
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
Its very pleausible for me ...
Very very good job,man  ;)
Ask me what you want, I do what I want I'll answer....

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
Simply excellent Wombat :) :) 8) 8)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Wow, just wow!

Offline Old Wombat

Re: RAM F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48 - Finished - Pic's pg.2
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! Especially PantherG, your inspiration & approval are greatly appreciated! :icon_alabanza:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:31 AM »
Nice work
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
Thanks, Greg! :icon_alabanza:

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
Beautiful and plausible piece of work.

Offline kill me now, put me out of pain

• Holding Pattern
  • What, is this place facebook, delete my account
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
x
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:51:15 AM by the user that can't escape »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
Thanks, gents! :) :icon_alabanza:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2016, 05:25:25 AM »
Yeah! that is very nice OW  ----     :) :) :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
Thanks, kitnut! :icon_alabanza:

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Looks like its been around and had honest use - a trusty Hellcat  :)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
Corker, well done

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Thank you, Bill & Brian! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2016, 06:05:31 AM »
That's one helluva Hellcat! Total eye candy and I don't think I've seen that famous scheme done better!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
Thanks, BdB! :)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2016, 05:38:23 PM »
This is one awesome Hellcat Guy. You should take some B/W shots, PS them and see if you could catch some JMNs. Our version of Pokemon Go.  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
Thanks, mate! :) :icon_alabanza:

I can probably edit to B&W, anything beyond that is a foreign country. :-\

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »
I'm with TBG, this could seriously fool some folks. Well done! The finish is excellent - war-weary but not over-weathered, to my eye.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
Very cool work

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
Thank you, Camthalion &, belatedly, Zac! :icon_alabanza: