Author Topic: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Finished  (Read 22474 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Painted
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:49 AM »
If you want to touch up the blotches on the tail, instead of redoing them, use the background gray color to redefine them - just dial the tip size down (and the pressure, maybe) and just paint around the edges of the blotches with the underlying gray. It should even them out.

It's looking great, though.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Painted
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
Ok I have spent most of my limited time this week on this beasty. The paining is complete, again I like the Vallejo paint but boy is it fragile!! Even though it is nice I don’t think I will uses it again of a project like this.

The major markings are not transfers but were painted on with masks! The black crosses underneath look especially good. The process was quite easy though the masks I bought were quite old and were starting to loose their stickiness.

It was then given a coat of clear matt all over, then a coat of gloss where the decals were to go. I was very lucky to find the squadron badge for JG7 in my box of spares….don’t know how old they were though! Then they were coated in clear matt.

Now the weathering could start. I have been using Testors Master Model Acrylic Flat for the clear coats, it goes on nice but does have a weird reaction when I am removing the dried black wash. Other matt clear Acrylics and even Enamel clear matt don’t seem to be affected, so I may swap back to those.

The props were painted RLM 70 (Black Green) and the exhaust outlets were painted as well.

I do though have a severe dust bunny issue in both cockpits, which I am not too sure how to fix!

She does look really nice but because she is quite dark she doesn’t quite have the visual impact she would have had if I had painted her in a nightfighter scheme!

And sorry about the photo’s looking very washed out, my camera started to play up while I was taking these photos!

There is not an awful lot left to do which is nice, as work has found a new project for me, not quite so many days away for home, but will slow down the model building. It’s been a big project, but one I have really enjoyed.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - 06/9 update
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:56 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2015, 04:06:58 AM »
Wowzers!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2015, 04:45:38 AM »
Great looking Arado! Even more amazing, considering some of the source material!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2015, 06:02:35 AM »
What can I say?  That's truly a beautiful piece of work and I envy your ability.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 03:46:11 AM »
Absolutely crackerjack all the way!

Your instincts were absolutely spot-on re: the over spray on the blotches.

Those props look like they belong and I've got to tip my hat to your ingenuity!

Brian da Basher

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
thanks for the nice comments guys, very much appreciated.

Ok just a minor update, work at the moment is seriously eating into modelling time!!

Not a lot to report, hand managed to evict most of the dust bunnies from the cockpits. Have fitted some of the PE bits I knocked off when painting…managed to knock off and loose the DF antenna, again plus have lost a couple of other bits!!

I tried something a bit different for the prop/spinners but all I managed to do so lit paint off! So they have been completely stripped back and repainted, will have another going at what I was trying to do with them.

There is not too much left to do on this one, but progress is slowing down, I need to do some work on other project so things will slow down a little on this one……only for a short while.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - minor update
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
Well work did slow down on this build quite a lot, due to many reasons, but I still have been plugging away on it every now and again.

Well I’ve finally stopped plugging away at it and am calling it done!

There are probably a few things I would change and more than likely a few things I’ve forgotten to done (a common problem I have!).

But in the end I’m very happy with how she came out, it is very much what I had in mind when I first did those drawings up. She is quite different to anything else around but has a bit of “realness” to her.

The build……well it was….interesting! But I did discover a few new things like resin casting which was awesome.

Will I do another one…very likely, though maybe with not so many modifications, I have castings of the new nose and engines so whatever I plan I should have the bits for it.

Thanks for all the great comments and following this build, hopefully it was enjoyable and interesting.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - Finished
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
looks fantastic.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2015, 12:50:43 PM »
Nice work

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 03:31:47 AM »
Ar-234 P5 =  :-*  :-*  :-*
Looks better with each and every look...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Arado Ar-234 P5 Swept Winged Turbo-Prop Nightfighter - minor update
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2015, 03:34:59 AM »
I have castings of the new nose and engines so whatever I plan I should have the bits for it.

Maybe you should make some of those available...