Author Topic: Kiwi very fast jets.  (Read 3892 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Kiwi very fast jets.
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Realising that they needed an aircraft to quickly intercept unwelcome visitors, in the air and at sea, around the NZ oil fields (that NZ should have),
some 38 F101 voodoo fighters were acquired. Becoming operational in November 1961, the F101s were minus the nuke warheaded Genie missiles, using an all AIM 4 Falcon load.
Two units, 28 and 29 sqns, were stood up, known as the Blue ducks and the Kea sqns respectively, and the aircraft were used until 1973, even assisting the RAF in the Indonesian/Malaysian  problems,  eight operating from Tengha with the hunters and javelins.
The Blue ducks often painted a part of the aircraft blue.
They were replaced by... (To be continued)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:06:22 AM by pigflyer »
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline pigflyer

Re: Kiwi very fast jets.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:52 AM »
2 more pics, taken before the last coat of matt which eliminated the odd panels under the decals.

Many many thanks to KiwiZac for putting me onto the ventura decals used here, and for finding me a link to by them through. What a star.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:08:52 AM by pigflyer »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
Yowsa that's hot, Mr Flyer! I don't think I've ever seen Kiwis like that before and oddly enough I just realized I might have the right decal bits to make a similar marking.

Doing a Voodoo in RNZAF scheme is truly inspired and you've certainly done yourself proud with this beauty!

Few things spice up a build like Kiwis!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
I like it! Not a type I've ever thought of for our use, but a very good idea and a clever role idea too.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
I like it lots coz it's a kiwi bird.... :D Great paint job!
Very cool!
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
As long time F-101 fan, you done it well to show and explain service with NZ.  Piece of F-101 history not well known !

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
Nice idea, and I like the "burnt" effect on the afterburner cans.

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
Wow, thanks guys, I must admit to being a bit happy with this one meself. I can't wait to get started on the replacement just as soon as I get time.
Oh yes,the replacement was the Malodza, Hmmm, loses a bit in translation there.    :-\

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
Cool! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
You can never have too many F-101s on your shelf or in your air force. Good job!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »
Realising that they needed an aircraft to quickly intercept unwelcome visitors, in the air and at sea, around the NZ oil fields (that NZ should have),
some 38 F101 voodoo fighters were acquired. Becoming operational in November 1961, the F101s were minus the nuke warheaded Genie missiles, using an all AIM 4 Falcon load.
Two units, 28 and 29 sqns, were stood up, known as the Blue ducks and the Kea sqns respectively, and the aircraft were used until 1973, even assisting the RAF in the Indonesian/Malaysian  problems,  eight operating from Tengha with the hunters and javelins.
The Blue ducks often painted a part of the aircraft blue.
They were replaced by... (To be continued)

The F4 Phantom 11, but I expect you guessed that.

29 Kea Sqn would paint some part of the aircraft green.   Not wanting to wait for the U.S. to sort out the supply problems re the various systems for the E model,
New Zealand went for the U.K. M model, (with some small changes to suit themselves), benefiting from the U.K. lowering its order by 32, NZ ordering 42 in total.
The standard load out for QRA was as shown,  planned patrols would often use the centre line tank instead of the gun pod.
29 received the first batch in 1971, and there was no rush to complete the conversion so as to allow full combat capability for the whole unit before 28 began concerting.

In 1991, 29 took 12 of the  Phantoms to the first gulf war, providing wing men for U.S. wild weasels, and armed recce patrols of their own. Sqn/Ldr Barry Johnson with back seater Flt/Lt Terry McCabe, earning recognition for killing 2 T55 tanks and 3 Mig 21 fighters in one mission, while his wingman Flt/Lt George McDuff with Fg/Off Norm St'John took out 2 tanks and one Mig.

Nine 2nd hand F4s were acquired from Britain to help maintain the fleet until 1999.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:34:54 PM by pigflyer »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:56 AM »
I can never get enough Kiwis!

Is it true the streets of Wellington (or was it Christchurch?) are paved with mangoes?

Asking for a friend,

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 04:13:12 AM »
I'm so glad to see the notion of RNZAF Phantoms is gaining traction!

Brian: unfortunately both are subject to dramatic seismic activity so are unstable for PAVE MANGO, but there are moves afoot - pun? - to do just that in several provincial centres.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline pigflyer

Re: Final Kiwi very fast jets.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 04:47:00 AM »
In 1998 the first replacement jets for the F4's arrived, for 28 sqn to begin convertion. What else could it be but the F15ENZ.
With a weapons fit very similar to the South Korean model, these aircraft sat QRA with a light load, so as to appear less aggressive.  (real world
pylon shortage for this e-bay spares or repair job.).

On September the first, 29 sqn celebrates its birthday, being born on that date in 1917 as the "NZ air support flight".  Some years later the unit was numbered.
Having worked up at Hounslow Heath (UK) on the Be12 and 1 1/2 strutter, they then flew to France with the Bristol Fighter.
This years display F15 is marked up as the Bristol of the unit C.O. Major Bertram Hevington-Brown of Wellington NZ. 
The roundels have the Kiwi rather than the RAF type red dot, because the aircraft also stood its turn on QRA, so the govt insisted on clear national markings.
In March 2018 the plane will be the last to enter the upgrade programme for a TEWS replacement and weapons and nav kit upgrade, as well as the Link 16 information sharing system

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
Great stuff, Mr Flyer!

Truly inspired spicing up the old Eagle with those wonderful Kiwis!

Looks quite good with that camo too!

Brian da Basher