Author Topic: Secret Super Subs of S.Y.N.!  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Secret Super Subs of S.Y.N.!
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:52:12 AM »
 That's the Sekrit Yo Navy for those whose historical knowledge of parallel continuums is lacking.
 After recovering from the organ restorations required as a result of being shot repeatedly in the chest by former ally Vladimir Kongevitch,
 the notorious ex-Soviet Gorilla man, I decided that a return to my roots was in order, and I set about forming a new Science Pirate Syndicate
 along the lines of my Aunt Sekrit Yo's organization from the late 1800's. Although the age of the great ocean liners was nearing it's end, there
 was still plenty of sea-borne commerce to, ah, liberate, for the benefit of the exploited masses of the world. (and myself. Secret Space programs,
 world-wide telecommunication subversions and a host of other foils to the post-war status quo don't fund themselves, y'know.)

Naturally, I knew that a surface fleet was largely a non-starter. Navies were a lot bigger, and the crow's nests a lot taller than they had
 been in the 1880's (so to speak), so a greater measure of stealth would be required. I reactivated the old SPS base at Last
 Atlantis1,along with an abandoned Mu Automated Shipyard that I recovered with the help of Captain Jinguji after helping him defeat
 the decadent undersea empire's attempt at conquering the surface world in 19632. The first three ships (well, one ship and two
 boats. I have never been able to shake the verbal convention of referring to submarines as 'boats', despite the degree of size and
 sophistication) were the S.Y.N.S. of Dr. Sivanna,the S.Y.N.S. of the Fiesty Barbel and the S.Y.N.S. of the Gruesome Tench.3.
 These were followed in short order by theS.Y.N.S. of the Red Archerfish,
 DSCF0818 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 DSCF0816 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 Built for speed, the Archie was armed with a single hypervelocity rail gun firing through a port at the tip of the bow. A two kilo solid shot
 might not sound like much, but with a muzzle velocity of around 8 kilometers per second, it was fairly effective, though firing it
 underwater did produce some spectacular effects.

I also thought that the torpedo needed some re-evaluation as the ultimate armament for submarines, at least in the method of delivery.
 From this line of thought came theS.Y.N.S. of the Wiley Bream, with no forward firing torpedo tubes, but a series of half a dozen
 vertical tubes aft of the sail. Since my vessels were already operating at depths of up to a thousand meters, I reasoned that something firing
 straight up at a sonically-identified target4 made a bit more sense than cruising at periscope depth hoping there wasn't a P-3
 loitering overhead.
 DSCF0825 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 DSCF0820 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Finally, since I was starting to send a few ships to the bottom with valuables still on board, some means of salvaging material from
 great depths was required, and this led to the building of theS.Y.N.S. of the Deep Bluesman. Thanks to a combination of Atlantean
 and Moovian metalurgy, all of the 'ships of sin' (as the press styled us) were capable of dives of over 4000 meters, and with the Bluesman, were able to reach 8000 meters with ease.
 DSCF0827 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 DSCF0826 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
 DSCF0828 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

1. The history of the Science Pirate Syndicate, 1871-1900, is detailed in the exhaustive study by Fletcher Pratt and Cynthia Mahan,No Chains
     on the Waves

(University of the Southern Arctic Press, Juneau, 1955) Last Atlantis, 'the Square Island', was one of the Mystères, a chain of islands
     somewhere and sometimes in the mid-Atlantic. The other main islands of the chain were Low Caprona, Moreauvia, Vucan, and Mystère.
 2. See the entertaining, but somewhat inaccurate documentary Undersea Battleship (Toho Studios, 1963). At my request,
     Jinguji omitted all mention of my involvement. The world believed me dead, and for the sake of convenience (and a series of paternity
     suits that resulted from my too-enthusiastic embrace of my revived flesh after the shooting already mentioned.) I did not correct that
     belief for a few years.
 3. The S.Y.N.S. of Dr. Sivanna, ex-NS Savannah was the only surface vessel in the fleet, and even there, I could not resist the
     urge to tinker, as a forthcoming build will show.
 4. The USN was already building a library of the sonic signatures of various surface vessels and especially Soviet submarines. I know a good
     idea when I hear it and incorporated it into operational planning on all ships. Boats, that is.

I'll post about the builds here in a bit.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:21:00 PM by Dr. YoKai »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Secret Super Subs of S.Y.N.!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 09:03:43 AM »
You've been productive! The shiny finish on the  Red Archerfish is nice!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 09:33:03 AM »
You’ve been very busy!
These look great. Makes me want to check my store of fuselages!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 03:34:54 PM »
You have been a busy lad, Doctor Yo! :smiley:

Not to worry! We of the Antipodean Oceanic Navy (AON)  have our own secret weapon systems ... And they're staying that way! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:03:11 PM »
 Thanks for the kind words, friends and colleagues! This was one of those, "I'll just stick these pieces together and..". The Archerfish was actaully started at least two years ago, and is probably the most structurally involved. The forward two-thirds of the hull is the old Lindberg X 3, and the stern is from the Seaquest 'Stinger' One man fighter sub*. The deck house is a combination of a fuel tank half, an old casting from an even older Strombecker Nuclear spacecraft, with the back half being epoxy putty formed over an appropriately shaped bit of styrofoam insulation. The the sail and fins are simple slabs of sheet, with the sail laminated for a bit more heft.

The Bream came next, and this was a little less involved-the hull from an old 1/700 Dragon Typhoon class, and the sail and lower sonar/sensor dome cut from the outboard motor of a Hawk 'Weird-O's' kit. The VLS housing aft of the Conning tower (can't in good conscience call it a sail) are a
section of evergreen rectangular tube. The long MHD engines on the sides are disposable razors, faired in with more epoxy putty, with some intake bullets and vanes. The lower wings are from a MPM Me 262 kit. (When Squadron Mail order had them remaindered for about 2 dollars apiece I picked up four or five.) I think the upper rudder and dive planes are from the old Heller Vautour (cadet series), but I'm honestly not sure. The Bream in primer gives a slightly better look at the the various shapes.
DSCF0811 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Finally, the Bluesman. The main hull is from the Imai 'Skyship One kit from the Thunderbirds show. It has a sort of gondola, which I inverted, and then attached a Ball (It's from the Gundam anime, and that IS what it's called: The RB-79 Ball.) as an observation pod. The Conning tower came from some packaging for an electric toothbrush, with some half-tube to fair it into the rest of the hull, and some more evergreen sheet to form the rear thruster arrangement. The wings are from a Frankmodell Henschel 132 vac kit that I think I started in High school...and the wingtip engines are from another Gundam kit, the Medea. The overall form was inspired by a old series of Japanese kits, the 'Marine Bird' kits from the late 1960's. https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=157663
The name comes as an homage to an old friend, Justin Miller, aka 'Bluesman', who passed away some years ago. He was one of the first folks who reached out to me when I jumped in the brave new world of online forums at Starship Modeler some 20 years ago. Awhile back, a mutual friend, Matt Jacobson, was searching for a bit from the MPC Snowspeeder kit, which I had, so I sent him the whole thing, and he responded with the Skyship kit. There is still a wealth of bashing to be done with that-I hope to convert it to an X-Boat tender from the Traveller role-playing game eventually. As is evident by now, I didn't take a lot of WIP shots for these-I think this in one of those builds where I was just thinking, 'any second now I'm going to put these back in the drawer and pick up something else...' ??? This is what she looked like in process.
DSCF0810 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Not to worry! We of the Antipodean Oceanic Navy (AON)  have our own secret weapon systems ... And they're staying that way! ;)
wrote Old Wombat Those Fellows! Yes, they did give us some narrow moments during the Giant Asian Attack Radioactive Reptile affair. I don't think we would have escaped if we hadn't slipped the tow on the five thousand (Imperial) gallon tank of Victoria Bitter we had nicked from the opening of the Sydney Opera House.  8)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 11:44:24 PM »
The Bluesman would work as a space/atmospheric vehicle as well!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 04:37:57 AM »
Brilliant kit-bashings, parts scrounging/recycling, and backstories  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »
Oh man, these are great.

Thanks for the reminder of Bluesman.. he was an awesome dude, so glad I got to meet him a couple of times at Wonderfest.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 07:07:29 PM »
Damn! I didn't know Bluesman has gone to the Great Modelling Bench in the Sky! :icon_crap: :icon_sueno:

Guess that's what comes of only being able to focus on a couple of modelling sites at a time &, unfortunately, Starship Modelers has dipped out. :(
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 12:52:33 AM »
He died years ago - We didn't see eye to eye politically, but he was a good guy and a talented artist.

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 10:10:44 PM »
He died years ago - We didn't see eye to eye politically, but he was a good guy and a talented artist.

Much the same with me. He was also a member of another modelling group I belong to, the CoMMies of Colorado, (That's Colorado Modelers' Militia EnjoyIng Scifi.) and if a person is measured by the quality of their friends, he stood tall.
We weren't close, but we knew and liked each other.

The Deep Bluesman also flies, and if I added some extra Martian lift gas to the ballast tank, it probably could make orbit.  ;)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 06:43:48 PM »
very cool.  Nice work

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 01:48:52 AM »
Nice work Dr Yeo.

Like them all! Brilliant visioneering  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............