Author Topic: M3 Stonewall FSV  (Read 38078 times)

Online Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
M3 Stonewall FSV
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »
I couldn't very well let a Treadhead/Armour GB go by without submitting at least one build, so...

This is a concept design I have been kicking around for a couple of years and now seems like a good time to give it a go.

Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: M3 Stonewall FSV
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »
Very interesting concept.  When are you going to start cutting plastic for this one?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Claymore

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »
As per LemonJello's instructions, I started yesterday (1st October).  Fortunately, I had both an old M3 Lee and a Grant in my stash. Nothing is ever easy of course and trying to fabricate a mirror image casemate has been 'fun'. However, things are moving along nicely and I will post some picks soonest.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
Very cool.  Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:15 AM »
As per LemonJello's instructions, I started yesterday (1st October).  Fortunately, I had both an old M3 Lee and a Grant in my stash. Nothing is ever easy of course and trying to fabricate a mirror image casemate has been 'fun'. However, things are moving along nicely and I will post some picks soonest.
I suspect that portion of the project will be the most difficult in trying to create the left hand side casemate.  Still an excellent concept and will be waiting for those WIP images :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
Looks very interesting

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Very cool.  Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Me too.
Great concept.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Oh lordy, this vehicle is bliss.
The next sound you may hear is a stash rummage to get in this build as well

Online Claymore

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
As promised... Tis early days yet and most of the work is still very rough and ready but the basics are there (I wasn't entirely sure that a mirror image sponson was doable given the parts I had). 

The M3 Jackson ('Stonewall') FSV lives!!!  :o

Sorry for the poor pics but photography really isn't my thing...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:17:42 AM by Claymore »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
Interesting! :D

How'd you do the left sponson? A few judicious cuts & flip the Lee's sponson by the look of it. You putting a .30cal or two on top? ???

I wouldn't want to be the left-side gunner, squished up against the hull side like that, though. :icon_crap:

Oh lordy, this vehicle is bliss.
The next sound you may hear is a stash rummage to get in this build as well

Me, too!

Even though I've already got 2 armour builds on the go - can't have enough armour! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
Cool idea and great execution! It has an almost steampunk/Warhammer feel to it. : :D
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Online Claymore

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »

How'd you do the left sponson? A few judicious cuts & flip the Lee's sponson by the look of it. You putting a .30cal or two on top? ???

I wouldn't want to be the left-side gunner, squished up against the hull side like that, though. :icon_crap:

Pretty much as you figured - a lot of cutting and flipping upside down and yes 50s or 30s up top!!

You are absolutely right re the gunner in the left-side sponson.  As you can see from my original concept art the gunner would be on the inside but there was no easy way or reversing that particular part.  Now that you have spotted the issue, I am going to have to do something about it... Bugger!  :( ;)

Online Claymore

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »
Cool idea and great execution! It has an almost steampunk/Warhammer feel to it. : :D

Thanks mate.  :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 02:09:33 AM »
The M3 Jackson ('Stonewall') FSV lives!!!  :o

Named for the famous "Stonewall" Jack...Elam.   ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 02:18:23 AM »

Pretty much as you figured - a lot of cutting and flipping upside down and yes 50s or 30s up top!!

You are absolutely right re the gunner in the left-side sponson.  As you can see from my original concept art the gunner would be on the inside but there was no easy way or reversing that particular part.  Now that you have spotted the issue, I am going to have to do something about it... Bugger!  :( ;)

Can you separate the top of the left sponson and then rotate it counter clockwise?

This really looks good! It will certainly give rivet counters something to do!

Online Claymore

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 02:58:07 AM »
Can you separate the top of the left sponson and then rotate it counter clockwise?

This really looks good! It will certainly give rivet counters something to do!

Not easily, but then again nothing truly worth doing is ever easy...  :icon_meditation:

Online Claymore

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 03:56:21 AM »
Dang! Cutting out the top of the sponson is not an option.  The plastic is about 2.5mm thick and as tough as old boots; having very nearly sliced the top of my thumb off, it's just not worth the risk!

On to Plan B then  - remove the current top detail and rebuild it anew in the right place...  :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:29:37 AM by Claymore »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
Looking good and with that minor issue of the left gunner's position becoming an obstacle, is there a chance to modify both casemate guns so that they share common features?  Not suggesting a complete makeover but maybe a simplification of the the features that comprise the gun and how it is mounted so you can achieve that mirror image with the left gunner being positioned inside instead of next to the outside wall.  That way you would have the uniformity of a mas production weapons system plus symmetry. 

Offline finsrin

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 06:01:59 AM »
Regarding what Jeff said.  Could sand both sides clean.  Glue similar looking pieces on in mirror image.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:09:44 AM by finsrin »

Online Claymore

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 06:27:55 AM »
Think I am still going to go with leaving the right sponsor top detail as is and rebuild the left to represent the gunner being on the inside. I don't think that major gun redesign would be needed as the arrangement would be not unlike the side sponsor guns in the WW1 Mk IV, etc.  Anyway it would be a shame to lose the aiming periscopes which naturally sit in the right place.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 07:21:20 AM »
Think I am still going to go with leaving the right sponsor top detail as is and rebuild the left to represent the gunner being on the inside. I don't think that major gun redesign would be needed as the arrangement would be not unlike the side sponsor guns in the WW1 Mk IV, etc.  Anyway it would be a shame to lose the aiming periscopes which naturally sit in the right place.

Funny you should mention the WW1 Mk4 tank as I was thinking of that vehicle when I first saw your WIP images and how it reminded me of a WW1 style tank such as the MkIV :)

Hmmmm, MkIV tank with Grant or Lee features might be another interesting diversion. 

Offline finsrin

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
Gun redesign on inside of tank is not an issue because we see only the outside.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
You will need to change the aiming periscope on the top of the left hand gun position to mirror image the right hand one.  The reason why the original M3 Medium had a gun on the right hand side was because the gunner was seated on the gun's left hand side in real life.   There is no room in your vehicle for the gunner to be seated there so they'd have to put him on the right hand side of the gun, where the driver is seated.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
Just have one gunner aiming both guns. He would be a busy fellow.