Author Topic: Belize Defense Force Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.3  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Belize Defense Force Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.3
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
Belize was granted independence in 1981; neighboring Guatemala refused to recognize Belize, claiming that it was Guatemalan territory. It would have invaded the country, had the UK not stationed 1,500 British troops and a Harrier detachment. Foreseeing the need for an independent Belize Air Force, the UK shipped four well used Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.3s and spares in late 1981.

The start of the Falklands War and the threat of an extended war with Argentina prompted the UK to remove the Harriers from Belize, leaving the country with only a few unarmed trainer aircraft. Guatemala saw this as an easy opportunity to take over Belize.

Unknown to the Guatemalan government, the UK "obtained" several UB-20-80 rocket pods and an ample supply of S-8 rockets meant for the Sandinista Government's Hind helicopters. These supplies were mysteriously "lost" in transit to Nicaragua, possibly bu Contras, or just bad luck. The otherwise unarmed Jet Provosts were quickly modified to accept the rocket pods.

The first incursions into Belize from Guatemala happened in early May, 1982 along CA13/Western Highway with some M-113s, M-8 Grayhounds and several trucks and buses carrying troops. The Jet Povosts destroyed two M-8 Grayhounds, one M-113, a troop carrier and damaged the customs/border house on the Guatemalan side of the border (honest mistake). The Guatemalan army withdrew back into Guatemala after a 1KM incursion into Belize.

Here is Jet Provost 1810 of the Belize Defense Force (with partial UK markings):

Cockpit detail:

The model is the excellent Airfix kit:

I originally bought it for the British roundels - it was cheaper than buying a decal sheet! This kit is nicely detailed and went together well, with logical assemblies and a fantastic, complete decal sheet. Great fit overall, too, although I forgot to add enough nose weight, so it's a tail-sitter.

I added an Eduard colored photoetched interior and used their masks for the canopy; the Eduard cockpit interior really isn't needed - the kit seats and cockpit details are fine. It was a fun kit to build - Airfix doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves, especially with their newer releases.

The two rocket pods are from the ancient DML "Modern" Soviet Aircraft Weapons, Set 3: Rockets and Bombs. Decals are from the kit (I used a mix of the stenciling) and self printed. Weathering was with inks, and it got a bit out of hand.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:36:21 AM by Frank3k »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Belize Defense Force Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.3
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 02:10:37 AM »
Outstanding! :smiley: :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:23:12 AM »
Wow! That's quite a gem you built there Frank!

The backstory could gaslight the best of us.

Very well done and shiny as a new penny!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
Thanks guys. The backstory is pretty close to reality - there were 1500 troops and several Harriers stationed in Belize until recently.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
Beautiful model!!  The plausible back story gives extra bonus points.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
Thanks guys. The backstory is pretty close to reality - there were 1500 troops and several Harriers stationed in Belize until recently.

Indeed - this is in front of the terminal building of Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 06:19:26 AM »
Excellent concept and build ... now I'm imagining future BDF JPs in local camouflage patterns  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 01:53:01 AM »

The backstory could gaslight the best of us.

Totally - this could easily have been one of those 'down the memory hole' incidents that 99% of people never knew happened.

I love a good backstory.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
Nice lookin' build, and great back story.

Totally agree regarding new tool Airfix kits, I built the new Hurricane last year nicely detailed and no filler required.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »
very cool