Author Topic: Beyond '46 camo schemes  (Read 5324 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Beyond '46 camo schemes
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »
Can anyone suggest camo schemes for '46 armour. RW period from 1946 to 51 was plagued with olive green AFVs.

Did US Army use any multicolour scheme in armour?

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: Beyond '46 camo schemes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
Yes the U.S. Army did use camo to a limited extent. It was used in the Italian campaign but it was little used following D-day on the Western Front.  The Germans in the RW, didn't have much time or chance to camo their equipment,unless they came that way.  However, there was a change toward less of the sand base  as the fighting in the cities.  Green and brown were used more. Squadron has a book on US camo usage and the three Panzer Colors books on the Germans. The British used it in several forms in the Italian campaign. Everybody used white in the winter to some extent.

That said,this is a what if GB so I would recommend you using what you wished. For the US, the use of camo would likely have been necessary. Same for the British and Commonwealth forces. The Germans provided each armored vehicle with tins of sand,red brown and green and an air brush run off the compressor. It was best mixed with fuel but water ,waste oil, or gas was used. This caused wide variation in the colors and how long it would last.  They were allowed to paint in whatever patterns they (and their talent) wanted. I suggested you find something you like and do it. The British had fixed patterns but again its up to you.  This could.have changed. The Russians didn't use camo very much. Usually just bands of sand brown if anything. Keep their's simple.

I hope this has been of some.help.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
This helps, thanks!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
The USA and USMC used a few multi-color schemes in North Africa, Italy, and the Pacific.  Tans, browns, and greens mostly.  USMC liked to camo their LVTs as well so look at them for some ideas.

Give this thread a read!  Has some nice camo application sheets in it too  :)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1282080513/First+US+Army+OD-black+camouflage

Look here too:  Go up to the top, click World War Two and then pick a country and tank!
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/ww2_US_Lee-Grant_M3.php
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/M4_Sherman.php

The USMC and the Brits seem to have the most variety when it comes to number of schemes and colors.  Hope those help man!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
Whatta fine build and subject and camo  :)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
go wild, go crazy !!

I'll see if I can find the "Piccaso" & "cubist" cam schemes :icon_fsm:

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
Can anyone suggest camo schemes for '46 armour. RW period from 1946 to 51 was plagued with olive green AFVs.

Did US Army use any multicolour scheme in armour?

The 3rd Armored Division,US Army,used black for camo.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
an Octopus arm design on a bog-recovered stug.

one of the several "Picasso" designs.

two-tone green & green with yellow stripes for 1950s German armour ....

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
What about a Caunter pattern, but instead of a desert palette, use forest colours, like OD+Field Green+Black, or urban colours like brick red + concrete grey + dust tan

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
It would certainly be dramatic! Here's a sketch someone did of a Chally 2 in a Caunter scheme ... still desert palette, though.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/35948/361436.jpg
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
That E55 is a beauty, indeed.