Poll

OK, you have 14 days to vote & only ONE (1) vote per person (so choose wisely). Poll results will only show after expiration of the voting period.

dy031101's Moudge/Mowj class frigate, U.N. Export Type
6 (33.3%)
dy031101's FNS Chiyo
6 (33.3%)
dy031101's FNS Ying-Ning
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 30, 2019, 08:10:03 AM

Author Topic: Floaty GB 2019 - Completed Non-Physical Entries - RESULTS  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Floaty GB 2019 - Completed Non-Physical Entries - RESULTS
« on: June 04, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »
Obvious, really, this is where you put images of & links to completed non-physical constructs, be they digital graphics, or stories.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:16:15 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Moudge/Mowj class frigate, U.N. Export Type
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
"Sir, the behaviours displayed by personnels of the Chevalier detachment are...... raising considerable concerns throughout our fleet units and beyond."

"Woke Squad's being unprofessional-"

"If you have nicknames for agents of the UN, Captain, I don't wanna know 'em!"

====================================================

Task Force Justice is the naval component to a controversial initiative administratively under Chevalier, the United Nations military organization officially in charge of peacekeeping operations on Earth, but promoted and supervised by various non-military UN entities to create a template for a "progressive approach to peacekeeping".  Its stated role is to provide naval support to the 1st Peacekeeper Division (the land component of the initiative that Task Force Justice belongs to) as well as to safeguard maritime humanitarian venues against pirates and other organized modern naval oppositions.

Problems almost immediately surfaced after the announcement of the initiative.  Chevalier, naturally, does not like the idea of a subordinate formation funded largely by them but taking orders from anyone other than them.  Also, influenced by the social and political activisms of their benefactors within the United Nations and drawn from activist children of social elites across the Homeworld, Task Force Justice soon becomes mired in less-than-professional conducts, procurements that complicate Chevalier's logistical requirements, and needlessly-antagonistic political antics.  They also have a reputation of being high-maintenance compared to Frontier Navy and regular Chevalier personnels of equivalent ranks.

The first Frontier Navy encounter with Task Force Justice was in mid-December 2018, when the unit provided sealift to the 1st Peacekeeper Division and the 2nd Assault Helicopter Regiment to conduct military exercise with the Frontier Army.  After the 1st Peacekeeper Division landed, Task Force Justice would subsequently engage in an exercise of their own with a Frontier Navy training flotilla consisting of both Earth-borne and Foreign Auxiliaries warships and led by the famed "Strike Cruiser MK.I" FNS Long Beach, flagship of the Earth-borne Seventh Fleet...... but that's a story for another time.

Task Force Justice quickly became known to Frontier Navy rank-and-files by the derogatory nickname "Woke Squad" as their aggressive, upper-class exceptionalist attitudes and out-of-touch worldview towards Frontier Navy, both Earth-borne and Foreign Auxiliaries alike, and even visiting Coalition navies personnels end up accomplishing nothing but creating problems for all involved.

Moudge/Mowj class frigate, U.N. Export Type

In the name of "promoting progressive values", Task Force Justice under the influences of its external backers has geared its procurement towards industries in the Middle East region, with Iran being selected to provide the primary surface combatants for the task force's naval component.

These primary surface combatants take the form of a further-developed Moudge class light frigate design.  Compared to the first two Moudge class frigates serving the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, the ships has adopted low-observable features, a lengthened flight deck rated to support Sultan, an Iranian copy of the SH-3D Sea King helicopter (modified in UN service with a dipping sonar of, somehow unbeknownst to the procurement staff, ultimately Chinese origin), and what appears to a short-to-medium range multi-function radar of an unknown type to supplement its existing Iran copy of Plessey AWS-1 long range aerial search radar (minus the IFF antenna).  The low-observable features and altered radar suite would find their way onto the fifth IRIN ship, the Sahand.

The accommodations are also improved to a yacht-inspired standard, with its mess deck and quarters luxurious both in form and function, as well as an auditorium-style briefing room, contrasting with the "simple yet modern and cultured" approach of the Frontier Navy and the "minimum-necessary distraction from duties" policy of regular Chevalier warships.

A further request for improved air defense capability led to second-hand Type 730 close-in weapon systems being acquired from the People's Republic of China to be mounted aft.  The rest of its armament suite remains largely the same with the frigates in IRIN service- a Fajr-27 76mm cannon, two single launchers for Mehreb missiles (which, interestingly, Task Force Justice has presented as a supersonic anti-ship missile instead of anti-aircraft missile as was done in Iran), two twin launchers for Noor anti-ship missiles, and two triple 324mm torpedo tubes.

Despite the various modifications requested by Task Force Justice, however, there are fundamental flaws to the design regarding its intended roles within the initiative- as the workhorse of Task Force Justice, and unlike the workhorses of both the Frontier Navy (the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, the Mistral class frigates, and the Arleigh Burke class destroyers) and regular Chevalier naval component (Sword class frigates- enlarged, more heavily-armed development of the Independence class Littoral Combat Ship- and Zumwalt class destroyers), it lacks the endurance required for global peace enforcement duties, any form of area air defense capability, and maintenance facility to service the helicopter it is meant to work with.

When it became clear that Iran, even with the financial backing of the UN, is already taxed to its limit building frigates and armoured vehicles for the UN, the minds behind Task Force Justice begrudgingly turned to the People's Republic of China again for a solution to the above-mentioned problems, eventually culminating in the form of the Harbinger of Justice class Joint Support Ships.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:28:39 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

FNS (Frontier Navy Ship) Chiyo and FNS Ying-Ning
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:59 AM »

The FNS Chiyo is a helicopter cruiser in service with the Frontier Navy Fleet Foreign Auxiliary.  The ship is capable of operating eight 13-ton class helicopters although the ship's airgroup at the ship's first commissioning consist of S-70C Thunderhawk and RH-3H Sea King for anti-submarine and mine countermeasure, respectively.  Her massive radar mast houses both an S-band volume search radar, which is rated between the AN/SPY-1F and the AN/SPY-1D in terms of performance, and a C-band multi-function radar with Track-via-Missile antennas, which is very similar to the land-based MPQ-53 set and necessary for anti-aircraft missile guidance.

The ship was modestly-armed despite her large size- 10 quad medium-range anti-aircraft missile launchers, two triple supersonic anti-ship missile launchers, four 8-cell vertically-launched close-in defense missiles, two 76mm autocannons, three triple 324mm torpedo tubes, two Phalanx cannons, and two manually-operated 20mm cannons.  This is primarily because the ship is armed with a simplistic navalization of the land-based Patriot missile launchers- they have no companion autoloader used by naval anti-aircraft missiles, meaning that a large number of launchers are required.  According to her crew at the time of first contact, the ship was built by a country that was subject to a virtual arms embargo aimed to curtail development of naval ballistic missile defense capabilities in the name of "regional balance of military power", which was rendered moot by the impending and irreversible death of her homeworld believed to have been inflicted by a Sage cleansing campaign.

Despite being essentially obsolete in an environment that now permits ready access to optimised BMD-capable warships following the relocation of her home civilization, Chiyo, alongside every other surviving ship of her world with at least marginally-useful military potential, was offered commission by the Frontier Navy- in return for assistance in building their new settlement around a Frontier Navy offworld base, they are to assume joint responsibility in defense and commerce protection of the region (Foreign Auxiliaries are typically not to be considered as assets available for expeditionary operations, despite having been accused otherwise by a few political factions within the UN).  Following her incorporation into the Fleet Foreign Auxiliaries, the ship received several upgrades: first and foremost being the GEM/T and GEM/C interceptors against tactical ballistic missiles and cruise missiles, respectively, although the shorter range of the GEM/T ordnance makes it suitable only for self-defense against a notional anti-ship ballistic missile threat.  Her Phalanx guns were replaced with an upgraded model armed with a more-powerful 25mm Oerlikon KBD gatlin gun, her 76mm guns were refurbished for improved rate of fire and low-observable cupolas, and the ship herself further received two Mk 49 21-round Rolling Airframe Missile launchers as well as two tactical length 8-cell Mk 41 vertical launch systems (equivalent to which the ship was in fact fitted for but not with).  The Mk 41 is intended for the RUM-139 anti-submarine missiles.

Chiyo's parent fleet command is now reportedly looking into the new SkySceptor ordnance, which promises both an anti-aircraft capability on par with the SM-2MR missiles used by the rest of the Frontier Navy's anti-aircraft surface combatants while still being capable against TBMs and a 200% increase in the number of missiles at ready (12 missiles each launcher); unsubstantiated reports suggest that it is well on its way to supersede an earlier plan to modify the loadout for three of the Patriot launchers with quad-packed canisters for the BMD-optimised MIM-104F interceptor.

The FNS Ying-Ning is a helicopter cruiser built by an allied nation of Chiyo's country of origin.  An ambitious development of the project that led to the construction of Chiyo, Ying-Ning retains the same aviation facility arrangement, S-band passive electronically-scanned array 3D search radar, and machinery as Chiyo but, despite a degree of similarity in her outward appearance, is otherwise essentially a "clean sheet" design centered around a vertical launch system for her surface-to-air missiles.

Due to technical constraints and the choice of missiles, the VLS utilizes "cold-launch" method and slanted cells so that the launcher does not need to be strengthened against acute heat buildups associated with missile launch and that a malfunctioning missile can be ejected off the ship; however, the larger individual cells and mechanism required to launch missiles prior to ignition means that the system has only six eight-cell modules, for a total of 48 missiles, within the total footprint equipvalent to 12 eight-cell Mk 41 modules.  Each cell is compatible with both the semi-active radar homing Sky Bow I ordnance and the slightly-larger active radar homing Sky Bow II ordnance; the ship has two MPG-25 illumination sets for Sky Bow I missile terminal guidance.  The Sky Bow I and Sky Bow II missiles have a range of 100km and 200km, respectively.  Two quad anti-ship missile launchers, four quad anti-submarine missile launchers, four 8-cell vertically-launched close-in defense missiles, two 76mm autocannons, three triple 324mm torpedo tubes, two Phalanx cannons, and two manually-operated 20mm cannons round out her armaments.

Ying-Ning was completed just as the beginning of the end was inflicted upon her homeworld, meaning the hope of developing a capability against tactical ballistic missiles for the Sky Bow II ordnance did not materialize prior to the evacuation of her homeworld and was only realized after the ship accepted commission with the Frontier Navy, where Earth-borne contractors transferred the technology needed to remanufacture her associated inventory of Sky Bow II ordnance to incorporate a credible BMD capability.  She also received refurbishment for her 76mm guns, upgrade to her Phalanx guns, compatibility with the RUM-139 ordnance for her anti-submarine missile launcher, and two Rolling Airframe Missile launchers.

Missing Link: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8638.0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:42:21 AM by Old Wombat »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
Re: Floaty GB 2019 - Completed Non-Physical Entries
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
OK. It's after 2300hrs here in SA, so well & truly past midnight at the International Date Line.

This thread is now LOCKED!

Poll to come soon.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

Re: Floaty GB 2019 - Completed Non-Physical Entries - NOW WITH VOTING POLL
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
POLL OPEN FOR VOTING! :D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
Come on, guys! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WHIFFERS!

Only (about) FOUR DAYS to go! Get behind your favourite floaty Digital or Physical build TODAY!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
TWO DAYS!!

Offline Old Wombat

Re: Floaty GB 2019 - Completed Non-Physical Entries - RESULTS
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
I would like to be the first to congratulate;

dy031101 on his brilliant work in producing a 3-WAY TIE for First!.

I would have liked to thank all the other contestants, too, but there weren't any. However, I think you'll all agree that dy031101 did a fantastic job all on his own.

From your humble moderator: Thank you! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 11:34:13 PM »
It does seem fitting that all the entries were joint first, very nice work  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »
It does seem fitting that all the entries were joint first, very nice work  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

I couldn't agree more!

Excellent work!

Brian da Basher

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:14 AM »
I concur with what the others have said.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »
I did not see the three-way tie coming.

Many thanks to everyone who's voted, everyone who's commented, and Old Wombat for this fun GB  :smiley: