Author Topic: 1/72 Swiss Auto-gyro Fighter  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Swiss Auto-gyro Fighter
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:08 AM »
The Swiss auto-gyro fighter from the mid-1930s is barely remembered today, but the story is fascinating nonetheless.

The 1928 war over cheese import duties with the League of Nations did not go well for Switzerland.

Their humiliating defeat in what the press called "The Swiss Cheese War" caused a major re-think of national defense. One idea that took off was equipping the Swiss Flugwaffe with auto-gyros. With some historical perspective, this doesn't seem so far-fetched. In the early 1930s. auto-gyros were seen often in newsreels and at a few lucky airfields.

Some were even audacious enough to imagine auto-gyros in armed combat.

It was with great excitement that the first Swiss auto-gyro fighter was delivered to the Flugwaffe in the summer of 1933.

The incredibly sexy lines of this streamlined, spatted beauty aside, auto-gyros had amazing STOL properties. This made them appear perfectly suited for the Flugwaffe as their ability to land at front-line alpine bases was highly prized.

The aircraft was based off of the Morane 225 which the French had provided grudgingly under League of Nations auspices to help re-form the Swiss Flugwaffe. The Eidgenoessische Konstruktionswerkstaette took the original Morane design to the next level by removing the wings, adding a rotor and improving the horizontal stabilizers. This was also one of the first fighter aircraft with an enclosed cockpit and it had the most intimidating, up-to-date spatted landing gear yet seen.

The new aircraft were at first, greeted with bewilderment by their crews as might be expected. Over time, this would, of course, change.

While the Flugwaffe put the new auto-gyro fighter through its paces, the Eidgenoessische Konstruktionswerkstaette continued to crank them out, delivering 203 by the end of 1935.

However, the radical new design was doomed by increasing crew bewilderment. Outside of using its low-speed capabilities for spotting comely alpine Mädchen out for a hike, crews couldn't discover practical, air-defense uses for the new bird. While their STOL capabilities allowed them to land at forward, high-alpine bases, they were unable to take off from them.

The design was simply ahead of its time and was, unfortunately, quietly withdrawn from service. All airframes were scrapped by 1937. To this day, the Swiss auto-gyro fighter remains a sad, largely forgotten chapter in aviation history.

Bran da Basher
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:01:01 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Swiss Auto-gyro Fighter
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:10 AM »
So, did you ever have a kit that was a challenge to whiff? For me, the classic 1/72 Heller Morane 225 parasol fighter was one.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a lovely kit (for the vintage) of a very esoteric subject. It doesn't take an engineering degree to put it together as the sprues attest.

However, the way the kit is made it difficult for me to figure out what to do with it. The front fuselage is of a peculiar width meaning none of the engines in my spares box were a good fit. Of course, one could simply move the wing so it joins the fuselage, but I was hoping to do something really different. Then I found these helicopter rotors.

They only needed a little trimming and sanding to match. I glued them on to opposite sides of a little disc and added other parts. The counter-balances are pieces of 1/48 Bearcat landing gear. Next, I had to figure out how to attach the rotor to the fuselage.

Spare 1/72 SE-5 landing gear stuts were used and I fashioned a gearbox for the rotor out of various bits 'n bobs. The bubble canopy from an F-80 was a passable fit. Things went smoothly until it was all together and I got some paint on.

It was at this point I noticed all those gaps around the front of the cowling and a screaming need to scratch some exhausts. Some of this plastic tubing Mr Fontaine sent me came to the rescue.

These worked surprisingly well and the fit was much better than I expected.

The model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, Polly Scale Forest Green mostly. Decals were from a Roundels of the World sheet courtesy of Mr Fontaine.

I've been working on this model off-and-on over the last couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoyed it along with reading a little more hidden history.

Brian da Basher

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
Brilliant work Brian!   :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
Definitely one of the best back stories yet!  As for the parts donations I am glad to be of assistance in your latest creation. 
Great combination of parts to make something that looks like it might fly in real life :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
Usual terrific standard Brian.

Like this one a lot

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
Over the course of your postings, I have become convinced you took more history classes than anyone else at BTS.
Congrats you done it again and this time an autogyro.  Looks odd w/o wings.
Resourceful use of parts :)
Green ! ----- You have an eye for model colors thatz way better than mine.  It works.

Vaguely remember 30s movie (or serial) where bad guys had autogyro to land at skyscraper penthouse.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Awesome Brian!  Turned out great!  I have a somewhat similar idea that I am saving for the upcoming Vertical GB, but I can't wait to get started.  Thanks for the inspiration!  Where did the rotors come from?

Chuck

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
Another  excellent offering. I wish you could share your history books with the rest of us. I can't find any of the stuff you build in any of mine.

Ed

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
I love autogyros AND cheese! This one looks Gouda, even with the cheesy back story.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
I love autogyros AND cheese! This one looks Gouda, even with the cheesy back story.
I don't know, Frank.  There seem to be some holes there.

Brian, another fascinating model and backstory.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
Brian, another fascinating model and backstory.
Indeed.  I am surprised the Swiss had such trouble with their autogyros when they adopted them so readily compared with all the other air forces which looked at them, scratched their heads and went on with their normal aircraft!   ;)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Looks cool! The teardrop canopy was certainly way ahead of its time.
I suspect these would have strugled trying to intercept Bf 109s or Gloster Gladiators ;)

... oh: thanks for postingthe Kay Gyroplane photo. I'd never heard of it before.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »
I had to re-read that post because I thought you had written "cheesy bake story"
Cool build Brian. Like some others have said, I wish I could throw something together like that and have it look so very plausible   :)
MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:17 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:24:53 AM »
I love it! What a gorgeous build. Bravo, Bri!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
That's rather excellent.  I like the idea a lot and the execution is perfect !

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »
Brian: I am running out of adjectives to describe your never ending modelling brilliance and love for cheese. Will "I'm blown away" suffice?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
I was waiting to comment until I saw how you built it, I was very curious to see what was in that! Very creative work  :-* an F-80?! Who thinks of that?!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher