Author Topic: The Big Mac  (Read 14090 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
The Big Mac
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
The story behind how South Africa came to deploy a squadron of heavy tanks in the mid-60s is a strange and convoluted affair that, had it not actually happened, would have read like an entry in some bizarre alternative history journal.

For South Africa, the tale essentially starts with its independence from colonial rule in 1910.  The fledgling nation is keen to make its mark on the world.  Its armed forces, although small, have a reputation for fighting hard and punching about their weight.  Both world wars see South Africa fully committed to the Allied cause.  In particular, South Africa’s military contribution during WW2, under the leadership of Jan Smutts, is critical to the North African and Italian campaigns.  South Africa emerges from the Allied victory with its prestige and national honour enhanced.  South Africa's standing in the international community is rising, at a time when the Third World's struggle against colonialism had still not taken centre stage. In May 1945, Prime Minister Smuts represents South Africa in San Francisco at the drafting of the United Nations Charter.

During WW2, Britain’s tank designs are, at best, haphazard and it is not until the closing days of the war that a capable tank in the form of the A34 Comet is produced.  However, plans for an even heavier and more capable tank have been progressing with two very different and distinct lines of development.  The A41 Centurion will eventually be a very capable tank but in 1945 is plagued with problems and will not see service in WW2.  The second line is based on an enlarged Churchill design – designated A43 Black Prince.  A less advanced design than the Centurion, the Black Prince goes into limited production with 20 built before the war ends.  The end of the war sees the immediate need for a heavy tank recede and the decision is made to progress with the greater potential of the Centurion and cancel the Black Prince.  In recognition of South Africa’s contribution during WW2, Britain gifts them the 20 operational A43s under the high profile Project Lionheart.

After the initial public interest dies down, the 20 Lionhearts are transferred to the South African Armoured Reserve and quietly forgotten about.  Smutts is defeated at the polls in the 1948 elections at the hands of a resurgent National Party. South Africa descends into eventual isolation from a world that will no longer tolerate any form of political discrimination or differentiation based on race only. 

In 1956, the Suez Crisis sees a combined force from Britain, France and Israel launch a concerted effort against Egypt in order to seize the Suez Canal.  For its part, Israel will push into, and secure, the Sinai Peninsula.  This proves to be relatively straight forward with Egyptian forces in complete disarray.  Much to their surprise, forward IDF armoured units ‘liberate’ a tank storage park on the East bank of the canal which amongst various T34 variants also holds 15 Tiger IIs.  Subsequent interrogation of prisoners reveals that the Tiger IIs were a gift from the Soviet Union to the Egyptian Presidential Guard; the Tigers having presumably been captured at some time during WW2.  Whilst tempted to destroy these last vestiges of Nazi power, the canny Israelis decide instead to store them away for a rainy day.

In 1965, South Africa faces mounting pressure from its surrounding neighbours and Angolan insurgents in particular.  The Soviet Union is only too happy to extend its sphere of influence into Africa and readily supplies arms and ammunition to stoke the fires of discontent.  Cuba starts to deploy forces directly into Angola.  South Africa rapidly need to expand its armed forces and starts to call up its Reserve formations.  Major General Ben MacCaulay, head of the South African Armoured Corps realises that a show of force is needed on the border but is acutely aware that on-going British sanctions have deprived him of much needed armoured assets and the world class Centurion in particular.  At what seems to be the darkest hour, MacCaulay is approached by representatives from the IDF who offer a potential solution.  Israel offers to overhaul and enhance 15 of the old Lionhearts utilising the turrets from their stored Tiger IIs.  The end result, whilst not a class act by Western standards, is certainly better than anything currently deployed in Africa.  Although designated the Lionheart Mk II, media headlines pronounce them as MacCaulay’s Miracle; the name sticks and images are flashed world-wide.  General MacCaulay gets his show of force.  To the crews, however, the Lionheart Mk II is simply the Big Mac.  In 1966, the Big Macs hold the line when the border tension spilled into open war.  Following the Israeli 6-Day war in 1967 and realising the Soviet danger in Africa, Britain finally relaxed most of its sanctions and started exporting Centurions to the hard pressed South Africans.  With the arrival of the much superior Centurions, all of the Big Macs are stood down and returned to the Reserve.  It is testament to this unique AFV that  all 15 still exist in various museums around the world.

Specifications:

Weight      57 tons
Length      Hull:      7.91 m
                Overall: 10.4 m
Width       3.4 m
Height      3.12 m

The model represents the 4th tank of A Squadron (Heavy), the Pretoria Regiment and is constructed from parts from a Tamiya Churchill Mk VII, a Tamiya King Tiger, AFV Club Centurion track links, a few bits from a Tamiya Leopard 1A4 and a whole lot of plastic card scratch build.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:03:00 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Re: The Big Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
WOW!!!!!!! That is nice.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Very nice - that turret really suits it, like it was meant to go togethethat way!!

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »
That's really nice! Half of this model is scratchbuilt! Amazing!
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Claymore

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »
Thanks to both of you.  :)

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
I didn't realize most of the hull was scratch built, very nice!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »
I love the long look! excellent scratch building
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Claymore

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »
I didn't realize most of the hull was scratch built, very nice!

Thank you and welcome.  Yes the A43 Black Prince hull is much bigger than the Churchill it resembles.  I could use some parts but essentially a scratch build was always going to be the way ahead.

I love the long look! excellent scratch building

Than you good sir.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:01:51 AM by Claymore »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, what gun have you given this?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »
Out of curiosity, what gun have you given this?

It still carries the original 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 but with fume extractor fitted.  This gives the Big Mac a gun that still outperforms both the D5T-85BM (85 mm) of the T-34/85 and the D-10T (100 mm) of the T-54/55.  Also, the choice fits the scenario where the Israelis offer a quick fix from existing stock.  Given time the logical preference would probably have been the Royal Ordnance L7 105 mm but these are not readily available.

Offline tanktastic43

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »
Great build. Well done.

tt43.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:35 AM »
WoW !!!   Great work !!!   I'm so glad you posted the inprogress photos. You did just TOO GOOD a job on her and I couldn't figure out what you ment by lots of scratch building !!!  A very too well executed  job in fact !!! ;).    Keep up the great work and welcome aboard,friend. Always good to see a fellow armor modeler !!!     
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
Many thanks to both of you.  Armour, and alt-history armour at that, is the way to go!  ;)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
W A A A A Y Y Y Y Y cool!
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Claymore

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »
 :) Glad you like it  :)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 04:15:36 AM »
Talk about believable!!!!!!  Wow man!!  You could probably fool some people at shows if you printed out the back story.  Marvelous job  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Claymore

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
Talk about believable!!!!!!  Wow man!!  You could probably fool some people at shows if you printed out the back story.  Marvelous job  8)

Thank you kindly.  I always like to have a believable/credible back story to lend credence to the model and it also gives me the inspiration to see the build through.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:06 AM »
Agreed!
 :-* :-* :) :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:26:41 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »
That is a wonderful tank and back story. 8)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Ageed!
 :-* :-* :) :)

That is a wonderful tank and back story. 8)

Thank you both, much apprerciated.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
Bloody Hell! That's awesome! :D

Cheers!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:54 AM »
Bloody Hell! That's awesome! :D

Cheers!

Guy

Thank you, most kind.  Sometimes the gods smile, sometimes they don't... I think perhaps I was lucky enough to catch them on a good day.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:32 AM »
I'm always impressed by a well-built AFV, but you never fail to take it completely to the next level!

When I grow up I hope to build that well.

Outstanding!!!

Brian da Basher

Offline Claymore

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
I'm always impressed by a well-built AFV, but you never fail to take it completely to the next level!

When I grow up I hope to build that well.

Outstanding!!!

Brian da Basher

Thank you but I think you are already there.  ;)