Author Topic: 1/100th 4"/12cm generic pre-Dreadnaught deck gun  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
1/100th 4"/12cm generic pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
Found this photo amusing, and inspiration for a later project (supposedly, it was one of the guns on the Graf Goetzen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Liemba)

For my purposes, I need something in the neighborhood of a 4" to 6" (100 to 120mm) deck gun. If it blends design elements of all of the late 19th century Arsenals, all the better.

So starting with this and this , a raid of the parts box yields this...

A 1:35th scale Tamiya 3,7cm German antitank gun, a circular deck from a salvaged Airfix Great Western and a white plastic cone that may have come from a Robert E Lee kit.

This is what that wheel deck is *supposed* to look like http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/sail/greatwestern-180-jyn/greatwestern-09.jpg See the rest of Jun-ya Nanao's excellent build here http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/Jun-ya-Nanao/user-index.html

Somewhere between being removed from the sprue and being laid out for trimming, the cannon cradle base disappeared (and was replaced with an M3 Stuart turret base).

Offline Story

Re: 1/100th 4"/12cm generic pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »
Next up was the addition of ammunition boxes, gun crew decking and shields.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Interesting conversion.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
Interesting conversion.  :)

If by 'interesting', you mean anachronistic or reality-stretchy then yeeeeeaah.... it's sorta-kinda close-enough.

But I'm enjoying the process and it's cleaning out old parts. That's why I share some of my weird little builds, so those folks in the peanut gallery will be inclined to whip out their smart phones, take some shots and after posting them to Imgur, share with the rest of us.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:12:39 AM »
Neat little build! :)

Next you'll just have to build the ship to go around it! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:30 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Story

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 03:38:51 AM »
Next you'll just have to build the ship to go around it! ;D

Guess that'd make this a Checkovian cannon.

"One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep."
Anton Chekhov, letter to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.