Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 109690 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »

Civil and commercial applications for Electro levitation technology was becoming more widely accepted after WW1. During the conflict tethered factory lifting units had been developed for the armament industries. Huge self-mobile transportation vehicles were becoming more common place and it was anticipated that smaller self-contained units for use in commercial and even public transport may soon be just around the corner.

Ever keen to exploit a business opportunity both the motor car and motor cycle industries began to look at the potential of Aerocars and Aerocycles during the mid-1920’s.  However the public mood in relation to the desire to own such vehicles was greatly overestimated. Additionally the first generation were hugely expensive, underpowered and unwieldy.   There were of course some people that were enthusiastic as there always are but the great majority of people were not ready to give up the rubber on the tarmac just yet or, more importantly, the large sums of money to do so. Besides it was just a fad wasn’t it?

This mood changed in 1930 when King George V attended the launch of the predator class aerial Battleship: The Tigress. His Majesty made a huge impact by arriving at the event in a Tesla Royce Aero-limousine. The royal Aerocar was quiet although obviously possessing or giving an air of great power. The coachwork was of a style that looked to the future but was suitably restrained. History marks this event as the catalyst for the growing acceptance of Electro Levitation into the motor industries and was also a gift from the gods as far as the managing director at Ariel Motors was concerned.

Ariel was the first to produce and develop an Aerocycle the first of which was available from 1924. It was not a great success but Aerial stuck with the concept and by the late 20’s they had a machine that was reliable and in demand but only to a select and wealthy few. However, the company had financial troubles and went into receivership in 1930. The company was bought for a very good price by the Managing Directors son and Ariel began a new phase.

In a bold and almost prophetic move the new owner concentrated upon the Aerocycle market which became a great success.  Much of this success was down to a talented engineer by the name of Philip Cardew  who himself was a keen Aerocycle enthusiast and had joined Ariel, after being tempted by a huge salary and free hardware, to design the next Ariel Aerocycle generation.

Cardew had worked for the admiralty designing lightweight but powerful engines for dockside and on board munitions carriers. His  designs coupled with a complete working knowledge of Electro levitation technology gave Ariel a lead estimated to be at least 5 years ahead of the competition.

His finest achievement was the Ariel Red Wing 600. A V twin design available in both sport and touring configuration although Cardew was not that interested in the latter. Philip Cardwew was a speed freak at heart and was often seen at race meetings on his own specially tuned and very fast Red Wing which, it is said, was nicknamed Jesus. Apparently this was because any new rider taking the machine for a spin to find out what the fuss was all about could be heard to utter the name of the messiah as soon as they opened the throttle.  In the interests of public safety Production models were a little tamer of course but the Ariel Red Wing was almost universally describes as going like something unmentionable off a highly polished digging implement.

The redwing design went through several incarnations and was available right through to the late 1950’s. During the war a military version was developed ushering in a new age of so called motorised Calvary units which were used to great effect in the desert campaign. However, that’s another story.

Ariel V twin/generator without thrust unit.
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »
 ;D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
That's phenomenally well done, coffee-table book quality!

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
You've captured the period look in that ad perfectly!

The aged paper and faded inks are a master-stroke.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2019, 06:54:35 AM »
Gorgeous work!!  I can just see a motorized cavalry unit literally hedgehopping in training with the Light Cavalry Overture as background music.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2019, 04:21:56 PM »
Found this in my attic ... 1969!
I'm getting to be an old dog  :(

Roy Cross had a huge influence on me as a kid but perhaps I take this alternative universe a bit too far.
Promise to leave you guys a lone for a bit. Just thought you might appreciate this :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
That's most convincingly done and brings to mind many fun days in my youth paging through a dog-eared copy of the real thing, wishing...

Another wonderful feast for the eyes!

Brian da Basher

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »
You've captured the period look in that ad perfectly!

The aged paper and faded inks are a master-stroke.

Brian da Basher

Thanks
I get a kick out of reproducing these I must admit.
Got a few more I'll share at some point.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »
Damn, that's very convincingly done.  You've got the look and feel down perfectly.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2019, 02:34:02 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2019, 05:11:42 AM »
Gorgeous ... and the tea-mug ring is a lovely touch  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2019, 05:12:32 AM »
... Got a few more I'll share at some point.

Looking forward to those!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2019, 05:49:25 AM »
I would have loved to have had that catalog! What's the price? 1 shilling 9 pence?

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »
but perhaps I take this alternative universe a bit too far. Promise to leave you guys a lone for a bit.
DON'T YOU DARE!

These are fricken awesome! Not only is the background tech story well conceived (in the best "Boy's Own Thrilling Stories Annual" fashion), but the illustrations are, truly, superb. Seriously, these are absolutely amazing.

And I totally want to build physical models in this universe. I am doing my best to absorb the design themes that best embody this tech and plan a build or three along these lines.

I'd love to see more of the AFVs and war airships as well.

Seriously. Don't stop. Don't even slow down...

Paul

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
Thanks gents, much appreciated :)

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
Gorgeous work!!  I can just see a motorized cavalry unit literally hedgehopping in training with the Light Cavalry Overture as background music.

I really fancy doing this actually and might have to go off and do it :)

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
AFV’s and large commercial/industrial vehicles began to benefit from EMFEM weight reduction just prior to the First World War. However, these vehicles still relied upon traction drive in the form of wheel or track.  Experiments with bipedal locomotion initially showed little hope of serious application until the development of gyroscopic field focusing which ushered in a new age of fighting vehicles.

The development of the first world war Mechanical men or “Mech’s” was rapid from lightly armed tottering early designs through to the towering Russian giant of the Second World war, the T-334 Svyatogor.

Some Background on the Russian T-334:
Russia remained as the sole champion of Bipedal AFV’s after WW1.  This was not by choice but rather a matter of practicality owing to Russia’s own inner turmoil during the period and the years following the conflict. By the early 1930’s all other nations had ceased operating the type completely or had relegated it to secondary non-combatant duties. Russia had been in a technological state of flux and had lagged behind the west in all the Tesla based technologies. However they had taken bipedal AFV technology to an advanced state. 

The German push towards Moscow in late 1941 were among the darkest days for Russia but it is strongly believed  that without the T-134 Moscow may well have fallen. The Machine was outclassed in almost every way but was numerous and operated by committed, almost fanatical crews.  In the late spring of 1942 the T- 234 began to appear in greater numbers and fought well during the new German offensive during July.

In 1943 the final variant, the T-334 Svyatogor, entered service being the largest, most heavily armed and powerful Bipedel AFV to be developed anywhere. The whole series had been big and always prey to air attack particularly from the ME626 Donnervogel. The T334 was almost three stories high but incorporated a heavy machine gun turret which was initially a huge surprise to the Germans and many unsuspecting ME626 fell to the T-334

Flack variants were produced having their entire weapon points devoted to 20 & 30mm AA cannon and were dispersed among standard armoured variants causing huge casualties to attacking aircraft.  However, the Achilles heal was the height of the machine especially the T-334 which was easily targeted from concealed vantage points.

By 1944 the T-344 could no longer depend upon its armour once the Luftpanzer Jaguar 2 came into service and, although a risky business, leg sweeping was accounting for more and more of the vehicles. The LP Jaguar 2 was perfect for leg sweeping if timed correctly with the forefoot fall during the step. Once down the machine was down for good.

By the end of the war new technologies had overtaken the T-334 such as the Volkosob but Russia has forever had a soft spot for the BAFV and the mighty Svyatogor.

Background to the above image
The problem with the very early Luftpanzer, and in particular the Jaguar 1-A, was its frequent need to recharge its shields. The armour was not as thick as would have been preferred in order to save weight but this was considered to be acceptable as the lack of thickness was made up for by shielding which was fine until the shield efficiency dropped which it did rapidly.

Of course, later variants and especially the Jaguar MK2, were in another class altogether owing to vastly superior power generation.  However, the early power units should perhaps have never gone into production as the above image shows. The Russian T-334 crews loved to happen upon a recharging Jag 1, they blew up in a most satisfying way if you got them in the capacitor.

I'm not so clued up on AFV's so apologies for stupidity beyond the obvious in the above.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
 :D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
The B-29 as it should have been built.   :smiley:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
By the early 1930’s the power generation for most AFV’s was supplied by dedicated high energy output engines many of which were  factory converted aero engines installed sometimes in pairs. With so much energy available Field focusing could be used for motive and manoeuvring power  by projection of a repulsion field. Germany excelled in this form of AFV configuration being the first to introduce the type.

The early Luftpanzers had their repulsion field projectors externally mounted in large articulated sponsons.  They were also the first of the type to have repulsion technology based ballistic shielding although this was very rudimentary 

Luftpanzer 1

Excess energy was bled away to a dedicated shield capacitor but this was rarely able to work at full charge and once used it recharged slowly especially under battle conations. However, with sufficient charge it could take the sting out of a general anti-tank round allowing the LP to live another day providing the round did not damage a sponson mount which the allies soon learned to target.

Luftpanzer 2

Later designs had the  T-coil and amplification hardware housed in an armoured steel cylinder. Internal articulated hemispherical projectors at each end of the cylinder focused the manoeuvring field.  The shielding technology was improved also but it should be remembered that this technology was in its infancy in the 1940’s and would not become a potent defensive component until the introduction of more exotic energy generation was available. The shields would stop most contemporary shells or at least significantly reduce their damage potential. However, each repelled shot would deplete the energy storage and charge time would be a factor in this tank surviving attack.

An enemy stronghold is softened up by ME 626 Donnervogel  before a waiting armoured assault unit comprising of Jaguar MK2 Luftpanzers, goes into action. The enemy is not without teeth as one of the Tbird pilots has found out

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2019, 12:29:38 AM »
The B-29 as it should have been built.   :smiley:

Steroids and a high protein diet ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2019, 12:31:50 AM »
 Beautiful work. I started a Luftpanzer awhile ago myself, also based on the Jagdpanther, but this has anything I did beat all hollow.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Beautiful work. I started a Luftpanzer awhile ago myself, also based on the Jagdpanther, but this has anything I did beat all hollow.

I just looked up curmudgeon .... I'm one too!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2019, 12:52:29 AM »
Gotta ask:

How, nominally, does such a thing turn? I don't see any aerodynamic surfaces and it doesn't appear the handlebars move anything or that the lift/propulsion thingy pivots in any way.

Paul