Author Topic: Old Wombat's (possible) Builds  (Read 11303 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Old Wombat's (possible) Builds
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
That's a beautiful little beastie.  Be interesting to see the final paint scheme.  Are you going to do an operational one or a experimental flight test one?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
Thanks, guys! :smiley:

Evan, it's going to be operational (but I don't really like plain grey schemes). ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »
The RQ-19 is looking good! the ball sensor in the nose looks good - highly polished BB?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
The RQ-19 is looking good! the ball sensor in the nose looks good - highly polished BB?

This is turning out to be a real gem and I've got to agree with Ev. That ball sensor is a great detail!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:55 PM »
Thanks, Frank & BdB! :smiley:

Actually, it's a navigation/piloting camera dome made from a small piece of rounded clear sprue stub.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Almost done! :icon_music:

Just gloss coated it. Decals, panel lines & semi-gloss coat to go! :D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:19 AM »
Woo hoo! I love hearing a progress update!

No worries, the GB still has a couple more weeks yet and the rumor is there might be an extension.

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 06:57:17 PM »
OK, the Scaleorama bit is done! ;D

Not the best job I've ever done but not atrocious.

All the pieces in the images will be in the final diorama but not necessarily where they are (especially the remote control case, which will be in the vehicle that I haven't built yet - a laptop linked to the RQ-19A by a data cord will replace it).

The RQ-19A was a joint Lockheed/CAC/Rolls Royce (Aust) project to develop a stealthier reconnaissance drone for the military market.

RR(Aust) designed the small, powerful, high-bypass turbofan engines that can propel the RQ-19A at speeds over 1,000 km/h; Lockheed & CAC designed to fuselage & flight systems; & it is believed Thales are the principal contractors for the surveillance & ELINT systems. The UAV can be disassembled into 3 main pieces for truck or trailer transport.

Primary users are the Australia (Army & RAAF), United States (Army & Air Force), Israel & Canada.

Length:       3,745mm
Wing Span: 1,855mm
Height:       735mm
Speed:       585 kn (673 mph, 1,083 km/h) max, 260 kn (300 mph, 482 km/h) cruising
Range:       675 nmi (775 mi, 1,200 km)

Here are some images of an early RQ-19A in service with the Australian Army.
(Note: the large, pale roundels on the upper wing are an unusual feature & may indicate that this is a very early operational RQ-19A, with larger roundels being used for identification by friendly air forces.)

Other images:

Hope you can excuse the weak back story. :icon_crap:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
Now that little diorama certainly makes it pop  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:  Well done Guy  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
That's outstanding Mr Wombat! Yet more proof (as if any were needed) that few things spice up a model like those 'roos!

Please be sure to post a couple of pix & a link to your build thread on the 3D Entries thread.

Great stuff!  8)

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 02:54:20 AM »
@Guy/OldWombat - That RQ-19 looks great!  W\hat I really want to know is did you build the folding table from scratch or is that a kit? That table is the shiznit!  :smiley: 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 03:00:27 AM »
My impression is table is masterpiece scratch build.  Whole thing is way cool.  8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 05:57:20 AM »
Great stuff! Impressive diorama, excellent scale-o-rama  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
Now THATS scalorama !  Very nice build and neat diorama to show it off  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »
Thank you all very much for your comments, gentlemen! Greatly appreciated! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

@Guy/OldWombat - That RQ-19 looks great!  W\hat I really want to know is did you build the folding table from scratch or is that a kit? That table is the shiznit!  :smiley:

My impression is table is masterpiece scratch build.  Whole thing is way cool.  8)

Don't know about "masterpiece" but, yes, it is scratch built.

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 11:03:35 PM »
Excellent scale-o-ramization. The whole concept is great!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 11:52:11 PM »
Thanks, Antonio! :icon_alabanza: