Author Topic: Cheaper Sheet Plastic For Model Building‏  (Read 21108 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Cheaper Sheet Plastic For Model Building‏
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
I had posted on the other forum a while back.  So if you were thinking you might have seen it before it is quite possible that you did.  :^)

As prices soar in our troubled economy it becomes a challenge to get the most for your model building dollar when your paycheck is not keeping up with inflation I have had to look at alternatives to Evergreen and Squadron brand sheet plastic.  I have found that some of the larger hardware and chain stores stock plastic signs that are an ideal resource for plastic card stock or sheet plastic that has all of the properties of the Evergreen and Squadron brands without the hobby shop prices.  The majority of these signs I have found on the shelf appear to have been manufactured by The Hillman Group.

These plastic signs are available in various sizes and thickness and all appear to be made from polystyrene or very similar plastic that will bond with normal model cements.  Prices range from $1.00 for a small 8.0" x 12.0" sign that is about 0.0015" thick to approximately $9.00 for the larger 18.0" x 24.0" sign that is about 0.0040" thick.  When you compare these prices to Evergreen or Squadron brand plastic card stock prices you are getting much more for your model building dollar.  The painted message is only on one side of the sign so you have the option of using the blank side for working your your measurements and cuts and gluing it with the painted side down and away from view or you can lightly sand away the painted surface before you start working with the plastic.

These signs can be found at places like Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, and other large hardware stores and office supply stores such as Office Depot

The signs made from white plastic will be available in the following dimensions:

For Sale By Owner (18.0" x 24.0")
For Rent (18.0" x 24.0")
House For Sale By Owner (18.0" x 24.0")
For Sale (15.0" x 19.0")
For Rent (15.0" x 19.0")
Help Wanted (8.0" x 12.0")
Exit (8.0" x 12.0")
No Trespassing (8.0" x 12.0")
(Vehicle) For Sale (8.0" x 12.0")
For Rent (8.0" x 12.0")
Keep Out (8.0" x 12.0")
For Sale (8.0" x 12.0")
No Smoking (8.0" x 12.0")
Business Hours (8.0 x 12.0")
No Trespassing (with blank space)(8.0" x 12.0")
Garage Sale (with blank space)(8.0" x 12.0")
Beware of Dog (8.0" x 12.0")
For Sale By Owner (8.0" x 12.0")

The signs available in yellow plastic will be available in the following dimensions:

Private Property (11.0" x 11.0")
Garage Sale (11.0" x 11.0")

I have tested and used the above signs made from yellow and white plastic with Testors brand liquid model cement and found that the bond is strong and if allowed to set for any length of time should be permanent or close to it.  You may want to experiment with other types of model cement to see if you achieve similar results.  Other sources for sheet plastic/card stock to consider are sign shops that specialized in vacuum-formed signage based on raised letters. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:54:50 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: Cheaper Sheet Plastic For Model Building‏
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
great minds must think a like  8)

only 2 weeks ago whilst sorting my mums shed out i found half a dozen plastic Health and Safety signs that i had 'acquired' years before going to come in very useful in the future

last year i was going to throw out a cheap and nasty picture frame from Ikea, realised the 'glass' was perspex so saved it. it was @2mm thick and a3 size. ended up using some of it for the body of a tank, just had to be careful cos since it was perspex it liked to shatter but it still worked very nicely

i love finding cheap alternatives since what they charge us for sheet plastic is outrageous  >:(
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
I am always looking for cheaper alternatives to what the hobby industry is offering.  Especially if you can find it for lower price or better yet, for free. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:50:26 AM »
For folks in the US:

TAP Plastics has white styrene in 1/16" (.060) and 1/8"(.125) thicknesses, and a nice online calculator tool:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=561&

TAP will sell it to you in sizes from 1" X 1" up to 48" X 96", any length over 48" will incur a $10.00 oversize
shipping charge. A setup/cutting charge is figured into the cost of the first piece, but is not added to the cost
of the rest of the pieces, for example: 1 sheet of .060, 12" X 18" is $10.00, but if you order three sheets that size
the cost is still $10.00, 4 sheet price is $11.70 etc.

US Plastic sells styrene in full sheets only in thicknesses ranging from .020 up to .187:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883

A 40" X 72" sheet of .040 is $13.63, estimated shipping to where I am in the PNW is $4.99.

Industrial Plastic Supply has white and black in thicknesses from .020 to .250 (1/4"):
http://www.iplasticsupply.com/shopping-cart/his-high-impact-styrene/

Sizes available vary by thicknesses and are sold only in multiple sheet lots i.e.:
White .040, 16 pieces @ 12" X 24" is $24.00 (Black is more expensive being $29.58 for the same
thickness, size and quantity).
UPS Ground shipping estimate is $12.88 for a total of $36.88, or @ $2.30 per 12" X 24" sheet.

There are other suppliers in the US/Canada and similar suppliers in the UK/EU, OZ etc.,
Google for 'High Impact Styrene sheet'.

Cheers, Jon

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:15:43 AM »
I use the cheap plastic signs quite a bit for scratchbuilding; they melt easily with all the standard glues for styrene/ABS. The only minor annoyance is that the paint used for text and colors on the sign side can have a noticeable thickness. It will show up under a coat of paint. I either sand the signage color off (the solvents that I've found affect the paint also melt the plastic) or just make sure that I use the unpainted side.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »
Another source of cheap plastic cardstock is old phone cards, insurance ID cards, etc. Also blisterpack and the plastic boxes pyjamas come in is good as is the bits of plastic found under the collars of new shirts.

Recently, my landlord installed a bunch of blinds I found the clear plastic boxes these came in tossed out in the trash and made off with them like a greedy thief.

Brian da Basher

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »
Hi All

I find a good source of plastic is the packaging around computer equipment especially memory and mice.

It is mostly black and the thicknesses are inconsistent so its problematical if you are doing detailed work (pencil does not show up very well!) However, it’s great for bracing and internal work or if you are laminating plastic sheet to sand into shape.

Look for the recycling symbol with the number 6 or label “PS”. If in doubt cut a couple of pieces off and stick them together with liquid cement, if they stick its polystyrene.

Finally, if you know anybody who has brought a MacBook Air harass them for the internal packaging, there are lots of large flat areas and it’s all PS!

Happy scavenging

The Mog
Mostly Harmless...............

Online Robomog

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 02:17:25 AM »
Situation update

The MacBook pro internal packaging is also PS in white. But you will have to cut it out of the box because they have glued it to the sides, most inconsiderate !

Mog

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »
Shame on Apple for not being more considerate!  Elitist snobs!  :P

Forgot to mention another potential source for thin plastic card stock is that offered by various institutions in the form of a credit card size plastic calendar that you normally see in holders on the service counters.  The one type I obtained from Wells Fargo Bank will take liquid cement for polystyrene type plastic but does not adhere (ie: chemically weld) very well to pieces of the card stock that were tested.  It will probably work better with CA type cement which I did not try but welcome feedback from anyone that does so to keep us informed. 

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
Has anyone used a solvent to remove the paint or ink from plastic signs? I know I can sand it off but its a pain to do a large area. I was thinking of trying oven cleaner or degreasing detergent in the same way as enamel paint. I'm hoping someone has an easier method.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 08:23:32 AM »
Has anyone used a solvent to remove the paint or ink from plastic signs? I know I can sand it off but its a pain to do a large area. I was thinking of trying oven cleaner or degreasing detergent in the same way as enamel paint. I'm hoping someone has an easier method.

Five years ago in this thread I had the same problem! I didn't try oven cleaner, but all the solvents that ate the paint also damaged the plastic. Sanding seems to be the best solution that works on some of the signs with "baked on" paint.

I found that Amazon has some random deals on white styrene sheets; they ended up costing the same (or cheaper in one case) than the For Sale signs I was buying.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
I had not thought of using Amazon! They sell everything else, why not! Thanks!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
@kerick

As far as the paint goes on those signs, I used sand paper and paint thinner on the few occasions where the paint got in the way.  There are a couple of other products to try for removing paint and things without doing anything to the finish of the plastic, something called GooF-Off or similar will work but you need to check the label and also test it on a sample of the plastic you are going to clean before going all-in.  I have used one of these products without any issue but my results were not the same as for others and the stuff dissolved the plastic.  Also, I try to use the clean side out and the painted side in for any of the things I worked on. 

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
Sometimes I have two sides showing or I want to glue one side and show the other. Sanding is ok for small pieces but I would like to remove it quickly for larger pieces.

Online Robomog

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »
Hi all,

Found another source for plastic card, and it was right under my nose!

The source is the humble CD case or jewel case as it is some times called.

Both the outer case and insert will accept polystyrene cement and the outer case is clear plastic.

The down side is the plastic is relatively thick and quite brittle.

Nevertheless it is a other source of cheap plastic.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 02:41:13 AM »
Some food packaging is polystyrene. You have to check the recycling marking to see for sure. PS is ok but PEP is not worth the trouble. Bonus is that it’s usually very thin and clear. Save the PEP ones for storing parts.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
Good thinking Mog! And the case interior will yield some interesting shapes.

Although most rigid CD cases are polystyrene (regular and transparent), some, more flexible cases are polypropylene (contact cement, maybe?).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online Robomog

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »
I still can't believe for years  I had a source of glueable plastic to hand and didn't realise it was there. 

If you carefully cut the hinge off the clear top it will give you a natty little base that you can glue things to.

Kerick: I have found most food packaging to be PEP, but it often provides useful shapes for scratch builds. They do need a lot of extra work however, like a vac form with attitude!  ;)

As you rightly pointed out they are normally thin and make good windows  :smiley:

Apophenia: Didn't think of the vinyl/poly ones,. But gel super glue  or gorilla glue ought to do the trick.

I feel another spaceship coming on............ ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
I found some plastic salad plates at the discount store that were polystyrene. Two of them glued face to face made a great saucer shape. I've found a few plastic cups and things that were PS. Your right, PEP is far more common. If the object doesn't have the recycling markings I can usually tell the two plastics apart. PS is more rigid while PEP is more flexible and has that slick feel to it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
One of the meany reasons I like to print in ABS (or HIPS, which is styrene) is that the leftover parts (supports, base, etc.) can be used as a part or melted in acetone of Tamiya Extra Thin to make styrene putty.

If anyone in the US wants some, PM me your address and I'll send a small box. I have about half a pound of ABS waste sitting around. I can always make more...

Online Robomog

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 04:02:54 PM »
 Way too far away for me !, i use sprues for my styrene putty

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
The CD cases are straight polystyrene, which is why they are both clear and brittle.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Kerick

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »
I scrapped out an old printer the other day. It was full of ABS parts that could be useful. One particular piece was PS and very thick. Just what I was looking for to cut out some helicopter rotor blades.

Online Robomog

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
The CD cases are straight polystyrene, which is why they are both clear and brittle.

That's interesting, the pigments that add to colour the plastic must also act as a 'softener'

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:48:50 PM by Robomog »

Online Robomog

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
Hi all

Continuing my mission to find cheap (free) sources of polystyrene plastic.

Lookout for these, all food packaging:-

- Muller Corner yoghurt the pot is PS

- Saint Agur blue cheese, the packet it comes in is PS it also has some interesting corrugations

- Castello Danish blue, the lid is PS

My quest continues  ;) ...............

Mog
>^-.-^<