Author Topic: Photo-reconnaissance Heinkel He 100D-4/F3 Trop  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Photo-reconnaissance Heinkel He 100D-4/F3 Trop
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

This profile depicts a Heinkel He 100D-4/F3 of 1. Staffel (F)/Aufkl.Gr.122 (Long range Reconnaissance Group) at Catania, Sicily, during the summer of 1942. It carries the Staffel emblem of a stylized white stork flying across a red and white symbol representing the field of view of a camera. The fairing for the Rb type aerial camera is clearly visible beneath the lower fuselage.

On 3 June, 1942, 1(F)./122 flew several He 100 recce sorties over Malta. Two He 100s were sent on separate sorties to Malta. One aircraft was to check and photograph the airfields while the other was to check for shipping in both Valetta and Marsaxlokk harbors – neither aircraft was intercepted. At the time, 1(F)./122 was under the control of Luftflotte 2 in the Mediterranean with a mixed stock of Ju 88 and He 100 aircraft – 12 on strength of which 5 were servicable.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:43:46 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Photo-reconnaissance Heinkel He 100D-4/F3, Sicily
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
That looks so authentic  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
Thanks, Taiidan!  Many of you will notice the tanks and camera fairing that Talos drew up and I added to this profile.

And here's the progression of this profile.

First, I started with the Trop He 100 variant, added the armored windscreen, and stripped it down to the gray base coat.

The next step was actually a lot of work.  This is all new custom camo for this profile, and I really think it turned out nicely.  Added the custom unit markings and it's starting to shape up.

Now I added the specific aircraft markings and the first go at the weathering.

It may not look like much was done here, but I've added the wing pylons, added the camera fairing, and refined the markings.

Here it is with the tanks shaded and added to the pylons.  Due to school keeping Talos busy and preventing him from getting me the line art for the tank details, it actually sat in this state for a couple of weeks.

And here it is with everything done.  I think it turned out pretty well!  Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Logan

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:09:01 AM »
Ooooo…I do like that. :) :-*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:10:42 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
More goodness thanks Logan.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
Thanks!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Photo-reconnaissance Heinkel He 100D-4/F3 Trop
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:44:47 AM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

A substantial number of Heinkel He 100D-4s went to reconnaissance units, equipped with various cameras and assigned a Rüstzustand designation based on the type of camera installed. The He 100D-4/R3 was fitted with a Zeiss Rb 50/30 camera installed vertically behind the pilot's seat. The letters in "Rb 50/30" stood for the type of role the camera was to be used. For example, Rb stood for Reihenbilder, a shortened version of the original name—Reihenbildmesskammer—series-picture, topographic camera. The first number would be the focal-length of the lens in centimetres and the second set of digits would be the film format size, again in centimetres. The Rb 50/30, therefore, was a topographic camera with 50cm (19.69 in) focal length lens and a film width 32cm (12.60 in). This camera was manufactured by Carl Zeiss G.m.b.H. and was fitted with a Tessar 50cm lens.

The Rb 30 series was by far the most widely used reconnaissance camera operated by the Luftwaffe. First introduced in 1938, it was a large format camera designed mainly for task of carrying out photo-mapping work. At the beginning of the World War II, the Rb 20/30 was in general use throughout the Luftwaffe, however, as Allied aircraft slowly forced the Luftwaffe to fly at greater higher heights, the focal length of the lenses increased and the Rb 50/30 and 75/30 became more widely used. The camera was fitted with an iris shutter within the lens and when fitted with a full magazine of film (210ft) and all attachments, its approximately weight was 160lb. Using a large film format, 32cm wide perforated film, this would give a frame size of nearly one foot square. During the exposing of the imagery, the film itself was held flat within the camera by means of dynamic air pressure that was supplied by the camera motor drive.

This particular aircraft, He 100D-4/R3 Trop, Stammkennzeichen VO+SU, served in the Mediterranean and is equipped with two 300 liter (66 gal) external wing tanks common to the R3 variant. It also has the Trop modifications which consisted of the mounts for a cockpit umbrella on the left side of the fuselage, sand filters on the wing root intakes, and the radiator fairing that fixed the radiator in the lowered position.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:48:25 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Photo-reconnaissance Heinkel He 100D-4/F3 Trop
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:38 AM »
This is a brilliant concept! Of course, the He-100 would've made a great recon ship!

My hat's off to your creativity and flawless, artistic presentation!

Brian da Basher