Author Topic: Sidetrack F-35 ---- Finished  (Read 20155 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Sidetrack F-35 ---- Finished
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:48:07 AM »
OK, I voted for this so I'd better join in ----  >:D

I expect many of you have heard of the Sidetrack Sea Harrier but if you haven't it was to be an AEW type aircraft with no offensive capability other than detect and inform.  Lonewulf Models does a conversion which is to convert a Sea Harrier FA.2 into the Sidetrack Sea Harrier.

Someone (Thomas Wier) over on the 'Airfix Tribute Forum' had built one and in his introduction to his build, he mentioned that the system was also earmarked for the F-35 had it proceded with.  Well, I've decided to do an F-35 version and as it the system was aimed at the RAF/RN Joint Harrier Force (or whatever it's called now for the F-35 program) it will be a Brit operated one.  And as they flip-flopped from F-35B to F-35C and back to the F-35B, I'll use the Fujimi 1/72 F-35B kit.

I had originally thought about doing it as a Two-Seater and asked Evan for some input which he kindly did.  But for the Two-Seater I've got to give it a bit more thought and I'll do it at a later date with another kit because I don't think I'll get it done for this GB.  For this build I'll do it mostly OOB, with the radome pods added to the wing tips and some appropriate decals.

Top pic (sorry about the quality) shows what's in the box, second pic is the wingtip pods and third pic after I had glued the engine and lift fan together and into the model.  Why you get all this is beyond me as you won't see any of it except the tailpipe.  You can see through the lift fan from top to bottom though but there's no details in there.  I've decided to upgrade the bang seat with an Aeroclub MB Mk.12 (or was that a Mk.10 ---) as the kit seat is very basic.

If all goes well with the build I may attempt another, a Harrier T-10/12 with the wingtip pods (hence the four pods in the bag)

Bottom pic is of the Sidetrack Sea Harrier for those to see what this is about, the model being built by Mike Embridge (I think that's his surname) who goes by the name of 'grumpyoldmodeller'

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:37:56 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
Re: Sidetrack F-35
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »
Oh!, the Fujimi kit (although has very nice recessed panel lines), has a mass of rivet heads which follow all the panel edges and all over the wing too.  I'll fill the whole lot in as I already know you can't see anything like that.  Also the kit is a 'snap-together' type so a lot of work will be done to easy the fitting of the parts as they don't click together very well.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »
Interesting! Go on! :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:41 AM »
Standing by  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:02:44 AM »
Progress --

The Fujimi kit goes together quite well although because it's a 'Snap-Together' type, you do have to make sure the parts join together properly.

I despensed with the weapons bay as the bay doors will be in the closed position (top  pic) as the bay would hold all the AEW equipment.  What that would look like I've no idea anyway.  Bottom  pic shows the fuselage/wing halves, the tailplane, the fins and nose cone all glued together.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:40 AM »
I painted up the cockpit using colours that appear in the Airfix Harrier GR.9 box, then applied the decals to each panel (top two  pics).  What's missing is the internal canopy frame, I'll have to make something up.  Bottom pic shows the seat (which has to be painted yet) and with the canopy on.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:07 AM »
Another problem is the 'see-through' effect where the exhaust nozzle is, I'll fill that in with some styrene card

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
A little bit of progress, got the office all done except I need to paint the safety belts on the seat. And most of the airframe is glued together alone with the Sidetrack pods.  I made up some pylons like how they appear in one of Greg's pics and decided to use a pair of F-18 tanks.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
But here's a problem I've found with the kits of the F-35 I have.

In the pic below you can see three sets of wheels, the top set is from the new Italeri F-35A, the bottom set is from this Fujimi kit I'm using. The middle set is an aftermarket set done by Armoury.

As you can see, some difference in interpretation of what can be seen in the RW.  Generally though the two kits of the F-35 have been very close to matching each other.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:36:32 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »
First off your progress pics are looking extremely cool, and it is a thrill to see it come together

Secondly, I am totally  jelly of your multiple F-35 kits  :) Which wheels are you going to pick?

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:03 PM »
Thanks TC, I'm going to use the Armoury ones, looking at my pics I took of the F-35B down in Yuma,  they do seem to be about right.  The others will go in the spares box for a future project (which I haven't even thought about yet  ;D )

The front wheel still looks a little large to me, but the Italeri front wheel is way, way too small.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:32:44 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »
Here's a pic of the modified pylon, which is actually from an F-18 (top pic)
The Fujimi kit cames with this neat decal sheet (bottom pic), I've made a copy of it and will cut out the camo patterns to use as a templates as I like this idea.  I'm going to use colours which the Airfix new tool Harrier GR.9 has on it's instruction sheet though, H156 and H164.  The Fujimi decals I'm going to use on the F-35A which will be done as a Canadian one.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »
Coming along nicely.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »
Thanks Greg,

You don't have to worry about this kit being a tail-sitter, the main gear is so far back there's plenty of plastic in front of it to keep the front end down.  Which makes me think about the real thing, the engine has to be a massively heavy lump ----

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »
Which makes me think about the real thing, the engine has to be a massively heavy lump ----

Kinda...

Length: 220 in (5.59 m)
Diameter: 51 in (1.29 m)
Dry weight: 1,701 kg / 3,750 lbs

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:08:19 PM by GTX_Admin »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »
I've been playing around with the camo scheme using the patterns found in the Fujimi kit, as I said the colours are what Airfix call up for their new tool Harrier GR.9.

I quite like the look of it ---

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 05:04:04 AM »
Nice job!! Fine scheme  indeed, that was a good choice

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »
Thanks TC --

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
Here's a link to 90's article in Flight International kindly provided by Chris Gibson, which is where I originally got the idea for this project.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1997/1997%20-%200676.html?search=sidetrack

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 04:03:56 AM »
I've decided that this will be an 801 Sqn aircraft, so I've made up some checkers for the rudders(top pic)

Sometime ago (can't remember when) I got hold of the SAM Publication sheet for some Harriers.  Can't remember if I bought the sheet or it came in a SAMI issue but there's no placement instructions included with it.  I was thinking of using the checkers here but they didn't fit very well.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 10:31:41 PM »
Hmm! well I hit a bit of a snag --- while painting the wheel bays and air intakes white  --- the white hasn't come out white  ---- it's cream colour ---- WTF!!!!

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »
Hmm! well I hit a bit of a snag --- while painting the wheel bays and air intakes white  --- the white hasn't come out white  ---- it's cream colour ---- WTF!!!!

??? Thats weird!

I would just weather the hell out of the wheel bays if you don't feel like repainting them. The intake could be trickier thats usually pretty darn clean

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
I use Humbrol enamels mostly and the flat white I used as a primer was white but when then I used satin white for the overcoat, and it came out cream colour.  Almost a brand new tinlet too, thoroughly stirred as it had been standing around for a few years.  I didn't use the gloss white because I've already found out on another model it's goes yellowish.

I'll try giving it another coat using acrylic gloss white and see what happens.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 12:49:19 AM »
Little bit of progress --

I've got the 'see-through' rear fuselage filled in

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 12:59:10 AM »
Nice fix  :)

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »
A quick word about the Sidetrack system is in hand,  any aircraft outfitted with this system wouldn't be an 'all-out' AEW.  The purpose was to get the radar scanner up to around 30-35,000 feet where the system would relay the scanned targets back to a control room on the surface, in a ship or mobile truck/trailer. 

Any aircraft would have to be able to take the equipment used to operate the scanners and also a powerful transmitter to relay the info in almost 'real-time'.  For the Harrier I think most of the operating equipment was installed in the two underwing pods (I'm pretty sure they weren't fuel tanks and in the Flight International article they're painted an odd orangy/brown colour) and the transmitter would have been under the cockpit. It would have been quite heavy hence the extended tail.  What I can't see on the Sidetrack Harrier is how the info was relayed back to the control room, something seems to be missing.

On the F-35, all this equipment and transmitter would go inside the weapons bays so what I've done is add some small fairings to the outside of the weapon bay doors then some large antenna blades to handle the data transfer (as it's now called).  Then I added a couple of smaller ones and another big blade to the top of the fuselage.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:21:37 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:52 AM »
Smart subtle way of showing the bays are filled with something different  :)

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 02:57:45 AM »
thanks tc

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 06:10:21 AM »
Love the idea of using the weapon bays for storing goods that don't need the weapon bay doors be able to open.  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
Love the idea of using the weapon bays for storing goods that don't need the weapon bay doors be able to open.  :)

It's a much more logical place to put everything Moritz

Anyway, another update. Photos show that there's a frame of sorts just under the forward canopy but not part of the canopy, the Fujimi kit doesn't show or have anything whereas the Italeri kit has the frame engraved in the canopy.

I made up a hoop which I think looks like what you really see. (top pic)
Then what it looks like with the canopy on (bottom two pics)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 03:23:30 AM »
If someone would release a copy of the gun pod in 1/48 (Why KittyHawk?  Why did you not include this in the F-35B kit?  Why??), one could use it as the basis for a Terma Multi-Mission Pod:

Which theoretically could be equipped with AESA Side Scanning radar for this mission. 8)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 04:27:03 AM »
When I was asking Chris Gibson for some info on Sidetrack for the F-35, he said he thought the scanners themselves could go inside the weapons bays.  But after seeing my pics of my F-35 with drop tanks on he realized that they would block the view from the scanners.  There was also the problem of where to put all the associated equipment for the scanners, keeping in mind I'm using the F-35B which already has other equipment in the fuselage.  If I was to do this again, all I would change would be the shape of the wingtip pods ---

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:47 PM »
I'm nearly finished with this, just wrapping up the decals so won't be long.

Couple of pics to date:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:04:19 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
That sure finished up a treat! I really like the paintwork and the tail with the checkerboard is very eye-catching!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Thanks BdB, all that's left to do is a bit of paint touch-up, and some tiddly decals to put on.  Should have it done later in the week.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:44 AM »
Does look like the real deal sidetrack F-35 :)
Checkerboards add right amount of "pop".

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 03:27:29 AM »
 :)
That really looks the goods !

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
Thanks guys --

An interesting thing popped up while I was researching what (and how) to do the decal scheme.  It was always going to be a Brit operated aircraft because of the Sidetrack system, and to be a Royal Navy one.  Choosing which squadron to operate it was a matter of looking through the decal box and finding some appropriate decals.  I had three sheets which I found I could use, all for Sea Harrier FA.2's. Plus I had the Xtrakit FA.2 kit to go by as well.

One of the three schemes in that kit was for an 801 Sqn. aircraft which was also aircraft number 007 for the squadron.  I thought that was too good not to use in this 'spooks & spies' GB.  Having chosen the scheme to use I got thinking about it -- double O 7 was an odd number for a sqn aircraft so I thought the pilot who flew it mostly must have had a surname of Bond or something.

Anyway it turns out it wasn't, but one of the decal sheets offered a clue.  The sheet in question was the SAM Productions sheet for the FA.2's retirement schemes, these had a multitude of 'name' boards stenciled on including the crew chiefs names.  One pair of crew chiefs (they are actually referred to as AEM's, Aircraft Engineer (Mechanical) ) drew my attention, their names appear attached together on the sheet so I'm assuming they worked on the same aircraft.  Well the top name was AEM James, and the bottom name was AEM Bond --- I think it's safe to assume that they were the crew chiefs for aircraft 007, don't you.

My story is when the Sea Harrier was 'stood down', these two guys transferred to the F-35 program and ended up working together again, and their new aircraft got number 007 too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:31:47 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Re: Sidetrack F-35 ---- Finished
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »
I'm going to call this finished ---

Some pictures
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:41:43 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
more pics

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 01:42:57 AM »
couple more

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 02:15:49 AM »
Great job, I love the paint scheme, too!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 02:19:14 AM »
Home Run!!   :)

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »
 :)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »
thanks guys 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
Really nice work on that F-35 Robert. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
Belated congratulations! :-*

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Thanks again -- it was good therapy  -----    :))