Author Topic: UCAV Project  (Read 19295 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
UCAV Project
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
Well, in response to the UCAV/UAV thread in the Inspiration section I dusted off my 1/72 Italeri/Testors F-19 and started making a UCAV from it.  Current designation unknown, I'll leave that open for suggestions from the membership.

I'm scaling it up to be a 1/48 UCAV. Most of the major surgery is done. The nose still needs a lot of work and the old intakes will be filled and sanded. It'll also be a single engine bird and I'm working on a rotary launcher for the weapons bay. 

Here are the photos of the progress. Everything is mocked up with masking tape holding it all together.

Topside:

Underside:

As it stands right now, I'm leaning toward the bay door being attached to the rotary launcher as one side. I should be able to fit at least three pieces of ordnance (probably PGMs), though I keep toying with making this a first strike nuclear platform with one or two buckets of instant sunshine loaded. 

Oh, I almost forgot, I'll be extending the landing gear to give it a taller stance, too.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: UCAV Project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
Looking good  8)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Watching this one very, very closely...I am planning to do similar.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »
Good use for an F-19 if you ask me :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:28 AM »
Good inspiration for this (at least I am inspired by it) is the Hawker P.1243 UCAV:

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
I already know this is going to rock!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
Made some time to work on this, so here's an update:

The bomb bay fleshed out a little more, with details added to the rotary launcher:

With the bay door out of the way:

PSR has begun in order to remove the F-19's intakes:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »
Be interesting to see this develop further

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »
What kind of intake are you looking at to feed the engine?  I'd be inclined to suggest a large dorsal NACA inlet.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
Very good

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »
Watching this with interest.

Just make sure the Iranians don`t see it otherwise they will claim they `overthrew` oneand plan to reverse engineer it..... ;D
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
A day off means time to play with this project:

Here's my attempt at a vectored thrust nozzle for my UCAV:

Some changes have been made to the overall design. I just thought it needed a little more to further alter the shape from the F-19:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
... I just thought it needed a little more to further alter the shape from the F-19...

Whoa ... that is looking seriously good!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
Yowsa Mr Jello those are some mighty impressive mods there! I've got to tip my hat to your creativity in coming up with this concept!

Brian da Basher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
No real progress today, but I wasn't happy with the weapons load I had originally been planning to go with (2 1000lbs JDAMs) then it hit me! SDB/GBU-39s! I could probably fit 4 to 6 of them in the UCAV's bay. Minor issue? I don't have any GBU-39s. My answer? Look through the spare parts box - I found some 1/35 155 shells from my M198 that I could use as a starting point for my ordnance. 

I also started thinking through the landing gear and I'm going to use the MLG from the F-19 for a dual nose wheel setup and I found a couple of suitable replacements for the MLG in the spares box. Now just take some brass rod, styrene tube that's on hand and I'll have some legs for this to stand on.  Oh, and a tailhook, too.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:12:12 AM »
These are additions are great. I like the TV nozzle too been trying to think of ways myself to do that. Smart work.  8)  We need to get this moved to the new GB

Also you are in the States now right? Might have some weaponry I can send if you need it. Like the Arty shell idea.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:13:59 AM by taiidantomcat »

-David Fincher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
UCAV Project
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »
Over in the Physical Models sub-forum I've started a build thread on my UCAV.  Here's the link:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=382.0

I started with the Italeri/Testors 1/72 F-19 and scale-o-rama'd it up to 1/48.  I'm using the GB as impetus to keep going and actually get at least one build completed this year! 

If anyone has suggestions for a designation/name for this project, I'd appreciate the input. I may even take a crack at creating some backstory for it as well.

Mod Edit:  Now moved here and merged.

Can I admit that I'm pretty geeked that my thread has been moved and merged? As my daughter would say, "That's so ninja!"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:17:12 AM by LemonJello »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:45 AM »
Made some time to work on this, so here's an update:

With the bay door out of the way:

John,

I am curious to know how you crafted your rotary launcher for this project. 

How many weapons is it to carry? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
(Apologies in advance, with all the moving I've done, most of my stock styrene is in one big bin, so I eyeball things and test fit without knowing their actual dimensions/thicknesses)

I started with a length of styrene tube cut to fit into the existing F-19 bomb bay. Then found the next bigger diameter tube I had and cut pieces to put on both ends to represent the ball bearing/axle assemblies. Then I added some thin strip styrene wrapped around the center tube and liberally applied Tenax to get it to conform. Additional bits of rod and square styrene stock were added based on some google images to represent the various electrical relays and other bits of the launcher. Final step was the addition of some channel stock to establish where the bombs would be attached. Right now, it's still set up for 2 stations, but with my idea of using Small Diameter Bombs, I'll modify it some more and get at least 4 stations, maybe even 6. The bomb bay door will take up the opposite side of the launcher.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
(Apologies in advance, with all the moving I've done, most of my stock styrene is in one big bin, so I eyeball things and test fit without knowing their actual dimensions/thicknesses)

I started with a length of styrene tube cut to fit into the existing F-19 bomb bay. Then found the next bigger diameter tube I had and cut pieces to put on both ends to represent the ball bearing/axle assemblies. Then I added some thin strip styrene wrapped around the center tube and liberally applied Tenax to get it to conform. Additional bits of rod and square styrene stock were added based on some google images to represent the various electrical relays and other bits of the launcher. Final step was the addition of some channel stock to establish where the bombs would be attached. Right now, it's still set up for 2 stations, but with my idea of using Small Diameter Bombs, I'll modify it some more and get at least 4 stations, maybe even 6. The bomb bay door will take up the opposite side of the launcher.

I can appreciate your situation.  Recently purchased a box full of loose EverGreen plastic from Steve at NA Hobbies for a price I could not refuse.  All of the loose material is now in one big box and any known measurements require a caliper or skip it and go directly to check-to-see if it fits. 

I was going to suggest that you consider adding the AGM-114 Hellfire to your ordnance load for this UAV project but just realized that requires a launch rail which sort of gets in the way of a rotary launcher. 

The SDB in 1/48th scale is available in the Skunk Models Workshop US/NATO Modern Weapons Set if you can find it.  You could always create your own interpretation of the SDB. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:23:45 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
I need to add a good set of calipers to the tool chest. And that weapons set from Skunk Models is one I have to get, just for the Smart Pigs (JSOWs) alone, then there are all the other goodies included...

Ya know, Hellfires didn't even enter my mind until you mentioned them, good sir. My styrene S-4/Armory does not have any at this time, sadly.

As for the rotary launcher/launch rail, I could see a trapeeze-like mechanism that extends the missile down and away from the bay on its rail and then it fires. Not impossible, but not in the cards for this build.

Also you are in the States now right?
Yep, back from the business trip (may be the last one, too).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:37:08 AM by LemonJello »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
I need to add a good set of calipers to the tool chest. And that weapons set from Skunk Models is one I have to get, just for the Smart Pigs (JSOWs) alone, then there are all the other goodies included...

Ya know, Hellfires didn't even enter my mind until you mentioned them, good sir. My styrene S-4/Armory does not have any at this time, sadly.

As for the rotary launcher/launch rail, I could see a trapeeze-like mechanism that extends the missile down and away from the bay on its rail and then it fires. Not impossible, but not in the cards for this build.

eMail sent.  Ben may have something to offer as well so don't rule out Hellfires yet. 

The original kit parts included extended and retracted missile launch rails for the pair of AGM-65 Maverick shapes that were included in the kit.  About the only thing that was memorable about the 1/48th scale kit since that long linear weapons bay was far to narrow for much else.  Your solution appears to have addressed that problem with the chainsaw approach and I wish I had considered that for my own projects based on the Testor's kit. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:27:18 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »

Can I admit that I'm pretty geeked that my thread has been moved and merged? As my daughter would say, "That's so ninja!"

You are welcome.  And for your daughter.... :icon_ninja:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
You could also use MBDA Brimstone missiles or AGM-169 Joint Common Missile (JCM) both of which look roughly similar to Hellfires.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:14:06 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I think I am going to have to try a rotary bay one of these days after seeing yours.

-David Fincher