Author Topic: Abrams LP-AGS (Low Profile, Autoload Gun System)  (Read 10074 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Abrams LP-AGS (Low Profile, Autoload Gun System)
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
here's my latest project ... and actually nearing completion.
I've based this on the old Teledyne project for the turret - a professional modeller sent me photos of the promotional models he built for Teledyne (Abrams, Leo-1 & Centurion chassis) & some of the actual vehicles (Centurion & Challenger) that Jordan completed in conjunction with Sth Africa.  The tanks had a standard British 105mm gun in a "noddy" turret and a crew of 3 - driver, commander & gunner, all housed in the hull for maximum protection.
Here's a photoshop of what I planned last year based on a pic of one of the promotional models ...

The kits used are a Shanghai-DML Abrams (terrible !! - molds all well past worn-out) + turret from the AFV Club Stryker MGS (far too many small parts for the detail level + several very-flimsy / broken parts that should have been provided in p.e. and a silly toy spring-loaded metal/plastic-combo barrel).

Mods are few, both assemblies are basically OOB ....
           Hull -- a smaller turret-ring was needed for so I cut one from plastic card & glued it inside.  I moved the BigBox to the other side for the crew's air-conditioner unit.
           Turret -- I needed a bigger barrel so used the body of a Paper :-* Mate "Kilometrico" biro (excellent tapered shape) with a return-roller for a collar, representing the new smooth-bore 130mm main gun & added a Bradley TOW launcher.

If I can get some decent paint (only Humbrol available here) the cam will be bright IDF green, RAF cockpit green & slate grey.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:33:39 AM by raafif »

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
Re: Abrams LP-AGS (Low Profile, Autoload Gun System)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
That is just too cool! I've had a Leo 1 with same turret on my to-do list for a while.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
That is definitely one very expensive project.  I like it!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
Cool - reminds me of a M1A3 proposal I saw years ago.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Looks like the M1E2/M1A2 from Twilight: 2000

M1A2, 3-70 Armor, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized); Germany, fall, 1997(?).
A remarkably high cross-country speed coupled with the bizarre appearance of its raised remote turret earned the M1A2 the nickname "Giraffe." One soldier's explanation of this nickname was that "It looks like something out of a zoo." It is difficult to place this particular example of the tank due to its lack of external markings. Fortunately, the serial number has not been painted over and this vehicle (1702601) was assigned to the 3-70 Armor, a component battalion of the 5th Division. The vehicle has been in Germany long enough to lose most of its external unit markings (for security purposes) but still retains the vehicle name ("Lisa Gaye") on the turret and the driver's name ("Steve #1") on the superstructure. The significance of "#1" is unclear.

[Excerpt from US Army Vehicle Guide by Frank Chadwick]

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:22 AM »
That's really interesting, raafif!

When it comes to paint, acrylic craft paints work pretty well over a decent primer. Those are usually cost-effective and readily available and come in a wide array of colors.

Brian da Basher

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:05:40 AM »
 Second what Brian says about craft paints-the only caveat I'd add would be to strain them before
 you spray them. they tend to be a little thicker than most hobby formulations.

Great concept, and I have no doubt the execution will be superb.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »
Sweet!!  :-* :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
thanks guys,  I have tried acrylics like Tamiya & Gunze in the past but somehow they never work out for me so I stick to enamels.  I'll have to order some Testors & wait the 6 weeks for them to arrive as I'm fed up with Humbrol turning to gum or drying up.

Not an expensive build either - unopened 2nd-hand Abrams kit cost me $28 (& I'll use the plough, turret & interior parts on something else), the 2nd-hand Stryker MGS cost $45 - I have dark, nefarious plans for the rest of it >:D.
The barrel cost nothing & the TOW-launcher was surplus from another project.  All-up, I think this model will cost $55 including paint. It did take 7yrs between getting the idea / pics & obtaining the kits, but well worth it for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives compared to the $135 + hassles of some of the resin kits in my stash that have recently appeared in plastic :icon_nif:

I might have a look in my hard-drive & post the pics of these real "Giraffes" in the inspiration forum :icon_ninja:

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
Great looking model. 8)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
Very cool! Reminds me of some the Swedish Strv 2000 concepts.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
Noice....

Like where you are going with this

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
Finally got the $%#@! tracks finished & the $%#@! skirts on  :icon_nif:  This DML Abrams moulds are well worn out & nothing fits properly but maybe now I'll get it finished fairly quickly -- for me, anyway -- another 6mths maybe.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:42:10 AM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Man I'd hate to see that BFG drawing a bead on me. Yikes!

Looks like you're in the home stretch now, raafif!

Brian da Basher