Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Airframe Scaling

<< < (2/2)

elmayerle:
For your cruise missile, consider the engine in the JSSAM-ER, which I am given to uderstand is the same as was fitted to the AGM-137A/BGM-137B.  That should give you a suitable and proven engine.

apophenia:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on April 24, 2024, 12:05:58 PM ---For your cruise missile, consider the engine in the JSSAM-ER, which I am given to uderstand is the same as was fitted to the AGM-137A/BGM-137B.  That should give you a suitable and proven engine.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Evan. I had considered the Teledyne J402-CA-400 which seemed to be a perfect size match.

That said, two elements make the J402 series less than ideal. The first is having a much higher sfc than (the admittedly bulkier) modern turbofans. The second is a turbojet's give-away screech at low altitude. (Mind you, the latter issue doesn't seem to stop the Storm Shadows from getting through.)

elmayerle:
Turbofans can be beneficial in reducing noise and, with a mixer, thermal signature.  TSSAM did a good job of mixing the core and fan flows for reduced thermal signature and the mixer had an LO coating for all aspects "Stealth".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version