Author Topic: Ford Pinto Fuel Delivery Vehicle  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Ford Pinto Fuel Delivery Vehicle
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:17:55 AM »
In the late 1970s a new chain of gas stations, N gulf (short for Not Gulf) was set to open across the US. Catering to the newer more fuel efficient import cars, they didn't require large deliveries of fuel, so the idea of a compact fuel delivery truck came about. Since Pinto Station Wagons had recently become available at fire-sale prices, the decision was made to buy up a fleet and convert them to 300 gallon fuel delivery trucks. Unfortunately, as they were set to head out on their first deliveries, one was accidentally hit from behind by a VW Beetle and the ensuing explosion and fire wiped out the entire fleet. Shortly afterwards Gulf Oil sued for copyright infringement and the company ceased to exist. Today the only sign of its existence is a 1500 foot circle of melted asphalt and car parts near Scranton Pennsylvania.

Handy method of attaching the CB antenna: Rare Earth Magnet. No more messed up paint from glue blob and if it gets hit, it just flops over without breakage!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 05:12:45 AM by Alvis 3.1 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Ford Pinto Fuel Delivery Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:53:29 AM »
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! 

Nice looking Pinto Al!  Excellent history to back it all up. 

Still laugh quietly when reminiscing about the scene from that crazy Val Kilmer film "Top Secret (1984)" when the Ford Pinto collides with the East German vehicle and explodes in a huge ball of fire. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 05:55:11 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »
N gulf - Engulf; I like it! ;D

Love the concept & build! Good to see you back Alvis! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
Still laugh quietly when reminiscing about the scene from that crazy Val Kilmer film "Top Secret (1984)" when the Ford Pinto collides with the East German vehicle and explodes in a huge ball of fire.

One of the worst films of the 1980's but it did have some excellent laugh-out-loud moments, & that was definitely one of them! :smiley:

"Tink!" BOOM! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 10:00:09 AM »
Do you all remember that the Pinto was nicknamed the “Pintorch” as they did have a record of catching fire when rear ended? I’m sure that’s what our man Alvis 3.1 was going for! Maybe the movie too!
I love the model, especially the flames on the fuel tank….

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! 

Nice looking Pinto Al!  Excellent history to back it all up. 

The scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Qj58o87sY

Offline Kerick

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 08:41:24 PM »
Somebody in the bushes just hands the guy a machine gun….

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 10:32:55 PM »
Do you all remember that the Pinto was nicknamed the “Pintorch” as they did have a record of catching fire when rear ended? I’m sure that’s what our man Alvis 3.1 was going for! Maybe the movie too!
I love the model, especially the flames on the fuel tank….

No "maybe" about it, mate, it's what both were aiming squarely at! ;D ;)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 10:46:02 PM »
Yeah, once I saw that scene it was clear what they meant. Plus the movie was by the Zucker brothers so they would know and would not be able to resist the joke. I used to have a “Pintorch” once but it was blue. And unburnt.