Author Topic: "Catch our smile!"  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
"Catch our smile!"
« on: July 22, 2022, 12:43:09 AM »
So this is probably a bit different than other entries will be, since it's a civilian subject with a smile instead of a snarl... but here 'tis anyways, hope yous like it.  :smiley: The aircraft is out of my AltBC universe, but PSA was very definitely a real-world airline... one that will always have a special place in my heart: as a kid I flew back and forth between BC and California twice a year, and from winter 1985 to PSA's end in 1988 I was always flying with them... they were absolutely lovely; their successor, USAir, were entirely the opposite, though the ex-PSA staff did do their best within the constraints placed upon them.

Catch our smile!

California-based Pacific Southwest Airlines became the second American airline (after Southern Airways) to order the De Havilland BC Trident 7A (see here for details: https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=19.msg199457#msg199457), placing an order for eight in 1967 and receiving the first in 1968. In 1972, PSA introduced its iconic "Smile" livery, whose vibrant pink, orange, and red colourway embodied well the spirit of early 1970s California. The recently-delivered Tridents were all quickly repainted into the new livery:

Minor changes were made to the "Smile" livery for 1978, replacing the hot pink with a medium orange colour, and an outline version of the "PSA" wordmark replaced the solid black. This proved to be the last PSA livery, as the airline was merged into USAir in 1989:

"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: "Catch our smile!"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 02:16:18 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »
Love your PSA Trident 7A 'Grinningbird'.  Perfect for "The World's Friendliest Airline"  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing these in particular, took me down a rabbithole of good memories of PSA, AirCal, CP, Malév... I have to say I'm really glad to have been old enough to experience flying in the 80s... I mean, full meal service on SEA-LAX? With *metal cutlery*?!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 09:42:45 PM »
Nicely done, as an aside there is some photos of those aircraft in a recent Air-Britain Aviation World issue, can't remember which quarter though ---

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 11:47:23 PM »
Nice! That brings back some good memories (especially the PSA TV ads). Some horrific crashes, too (although none their fault)