Author Topic: GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup - 1/35  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup - 1/35
« on: June 21, 2022, 09:54:54 AM »
I've had the Trumpeter GAZ 39371 "Vodnik" for a while, but haven't had a "use case" for it yet. The Vodnik is modular, with various boxes that can be added to the rear section for different missions. The rear module in the Trumpeter kit has a 14.5mm KPVT in a BMP style turret. The gun and turret are nicely detailed, but it just didn't interest me.
Instead, I decided to make it into a "pickup" with the rear area configured to support a long distance scouting mission:

This kit has been on my bench for a while - at least three full builds have been completed since I started tinkering with this kit.

The cargo area floor is from an ABS printing raft, with styrene sheets for the walls. The kit's fit is outstanding (with a little sanding) so I may just press fit the crew compartment on and not glue it in place.

My "internal working name" is "Gopnik Pickup truck" but I'm not going to make this a Russian vehicle - I may go with Ukrainian or Uruguayan.
I started by adding a side door for the rear compartment. I cut a hole for the hatch and moved the front module lifting handle forward and added a rain gutter from a leftover strip of ABS support from a printing project.

The hatch is two pieces of styrene, cut to fit in the hole:

I've since added a hinge from a Stryker hatch (from the great AFV Club M151 kit) and some other hardware.

Here the crew compartment so far:

The cabin lights are just clear sprues sanded round and painted with Tamiya clear blue (the Prime Portal walkaround shows similar lights). The fire extinguisher is from a Tristar Panzer 38(t) interior kit. with a scratchbuilt hose and handles.  I made a second one from a section of sprue (not installed yet). The speaker is from the 3D printed PRC radio from another thread. The white box is a first aid kit made from a couple of parts from the Panzer 38(t) kit. The rear compartment has a 3D printed 24" monitor, an M151 joystick and a seat from a Military Wheels UAZ-469 kit.

Top view with the "bored buy at the computer" in the seat, for a size reference:

Here's a view from the rear seat. the radio and handset are from the PRC radio I recently printed:

There isn't much room in the front, so I limited the amount of gear. I may add a couple of objects then start painting. I'm thinking of a light green lower section (similar the the color on now) with a light blue (or light gray) and black, camo pattern similar to this KZT-537L - maybe a digital camo version:

I'm also thinking of adding one of the external fuel tanks and mounts from a Tamiya T-62 to the rear of the cab.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup - 1/35
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »
That's looking good! Nice idea to convert it to a pickup.

I was looking for the version without the gun turret but Trumpeter never released one. Uruguay uses the one without the turret.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »
You could do M113-style long range tanks.

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
The original design is modular. The front and rear are interchangeable. Here are some different versions including a mortar carrier similar in design to your pickup version.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »
Nice work

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 11:24:32 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking of doing a straight across cargo/crew module for the rear, like the Uruguayan version. The turreted module in the Trumpeter kit (and in the real vehicle) is stepped, making it taller than the crew module. This bugged me.

The M113 fuel tank is a good idea! I'll see how it looks.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 12:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking of doing a straight across cargo/crew module for the rear, like the Uruguayan version. The turreted module in the Trumpeter kit (and in the real vehicle) is stepped, making it taller than the crew module. This bugged me.

The Uruguayan version still has the stepped rear same as the turreted version.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 06:40:57 AM »
Cool project!   8)

The original design is modular. The front and rear are interchangeable. Here are some different versions including a mortar carrier similar in design to your pickup version.

Nice!  :smiley: Have thought about doing something similar with a German 6x6 Fuchs, inspired by the 8x8 Boxer mission modules.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
Here's the crew module with the blue-gray and dark gray camo. It has a clear coat to get it ready for weathering. I have a few spots to touch up, but it looks OK.

I'll paint the lower section tomorrow, either with a more solid coat of green, with a tan and green camo or green tan and black like the Uruguayan Vodnik.

Ramba, thanks for pointing out the stepped rear module in the Uruguayan version:

from this article, where they're putting out bids for replacement and spare parts

Somehow it doesn't look as tall as the turreted version in the Trumpeter kit. I could add a roof to the current "pickup module" or make a new one similar to the Uruguayan vehicle.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 10:48:36 PM »

If Ukrainian, it could be a pre-war Illegal Tours of the Chernobyl NoGo Zone truck (as given by Gopniks, because who else is going to be stupid enough to sneak into areas where there are irradiated Cryptoids?)

As for Uraguay, all I could think of is some Expeditionary Vehicle for a mission into the hinterlands to secure some ancient archeological site that just happens to host the legend of lost Spanish loot and the reality of a giant snake. At least that's how I'd write the movie treatment.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 11:00:13 PM »
This one gives off an Aliens APC vibe:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 11:12:20 PM »
If Ukrainian, it could be a pre-war Illegal Tours of the Chernobyl NoGo Zone truck (as given by Gopniks, because who else is going to be stupid enough to sneak into areas where there are irradiated Cryptoids?)

Here's some hardbass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlUU8l8j5M

As for Uraguay, all I could think of is some Expeditionary Vehicle for a mission into the hinterlands to secure some ancient archeological site that just happens to host the legend of lost Spanish loot and the reality of a giant snake. At least that's how I'd write the movie treatment.

They could be used to assist Paraguay in the second (or third) Chaco War
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:34:19 PM by Frank3k »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 12:11:39 AM »
Coming along nicely. With it being modular, having different upper/lower camo schemes will look cool!

Here is an up-armored version. It has that look that only a mother could love.
https://external-preview.redd.it/ScnzQaYGXtYMe5dhhwSAEJPtoxYp89qVEVR-fy_89o8.jpg?auto=webp&s=b9b9c4a6e2d68082d9132423d85695da4f595c89
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:34:36 AM by Ramba »

Offline Story

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 02:37:56 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »

Here's some hardbass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlUU8l8j5M

Where you're going, you're gonna need harder hardbass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruwKsSSm0Lc

Or, maybe, this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEas6OqQSMY

PS: You're giving me ideas for the one in my stash; already started by its previous owner, but I can fix that! ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:23:51 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »

I'd watch both of those movies!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 10:45:27 AM »
A movie based on "Sorcerer" or the original "The wages of Fear/ Le Salaire de la Peur" about some sad sack Gopniks given an impossible, deadly task in exchange for some rubles and vodka would be good...

DJ Blyatman is pretty good.

I painted the lower section and cargo walls:

I cleaned up some overspray and evened out the paint - I shouldn't have, based on the Vodnik at Primeportal.

In particular...

The prices for this kit really have gone up since I bought it; it's selling for between $63.50 (Sprue Bros) and $49.99 (Scale Hobbyist). IIRC, I paid around $35-$40.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 07:41:12 PM »
I painted the lower section and cargo walls:

The prices for this kit really have gone up since I bought it; it's selling for between $63.50 (Sprue Bros) and $49.99 (Scale Hobbyist). IIRC, I paid around $35-$40.

The two different camo schemes look great! What colors did you use for the lower camo?

Yeah, I was looking for one a few years ago and the cheapest was in the $50ish range plus shipping. Some prices are still in the $50ish range plus shipping but the majority are in the $60ish plus shipping now. I still want one to do similar to the Uruguayan version but a bit too pricey for me.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 12:13:32 AM »
Thanks!

I repainted the green to match the pictures - I used Badger Stynylrez Olive Green primer (this line is the best acrylic paint I've ever used). The tan is AK Interactive 3rd Gen Dark Sand, or Sand. This is a great acrylic paint as well - almost too good; it has a high pigment density, so cleaning the airbrush between colors is more involved. The black fenders is AK Interactive 3rd gen Tenebrous Gray.

Offline Story

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 03:54:03 AM »
The closest factory option I could dig up to match your cargo carrier backstory is the mortar schlepper (as previously gang-posted by Ramba), so whoever your current owners turn out to be just popped the mortar deck and lost the baseplate hitch.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:55:48 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 04:06:14 AM »
I have the Stalker figures. I may use those.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 09:48:50 AM »
Thanks!

I repainted the green to match the pictures - I used Badger Stynylrez Olive Green primer (this line is the best acrylic paint I've ever used). The tan is AK Interactive 3rd Gen Dark Sand, or Sand. This is a great acrylic paint as well - almost too good; it has a high pigment density, so cleaning the airbrush between colors is more involved. The black fenders is AK Interactive 3rd gen Tenebrous Gray.

Thanks for the paint info. I don't have the Badger Stynylrez Olive Green primer but I do have the black, white and gray from them. I used the Stynylrez black primer last summer but had problems with clogging and splatter. The directions say no thinning necessary so I used it straight from the bottle. My airbrush needle is .4 which is from what I read is the more desirable needle size for using the Stynylrez primer. My psi was also at 20-25psi which I also read is the desirable setting.

Anyway, I will have to pick up some of that Stynylrez Olive Green primer and AK Interactive 3rd Gen Dark Sand as your paint looks really good and very closely matches the color in the images of the Uruguayan vehicle. I have some vehicles to paint in those colors and I like the way yours came out.

Did you lighten the green primer and sand or are they both straight from the bottle?

What color gray did you use for the upper forward cab that is in the gray/black camo?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »
I know that Badger says that Stynylrez doesn't have to be thinned, but that's BS. I thin it to the classic "skim milk" consistency, which varies a bit by color. Usually 20% isopropyl to 80% paint (although Vallejo air thinner works as well)

The AK Interactive 3rd gen will turn to jelly with isopropyl - use their thinner or the Vallejo air thinner, or water. This paint definitely has to be thinned -50% - 75%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3XfeIyO-U

OTOH, it's great for brush painting, too.

The green is straight out of the bottle, just diluted.

The gray is the AK Blue Grey with their Ocean Grey at a 4:2 ratio. The dark gray came out too dark; it's Tenebrous Gray and Ocean Grey at 50:50 mix, I'm going to overspray it with some clear with a few drops of blue gray.

One difference between the Stynylrez and the AK 3rd gen is that you really have to shake up the primer - I put a steel ball in all of my bottles. The AK just needs  few shakes.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 11:45:18 PM »
I know that Badger says that Stynylrez doesn't have to be thinned, but that's BS. I thin it to the classic "skim milk" consistency, which varies a bit by color. Usually 20% isopropyl to 80% paint (although Vallejo air thinner works as well)

The AK Interactive 3rd gen will turn to jelly with isopropyl - use their thinner or the Vallejo air thinner, or water. This paint definitely has to be thinned -50% - 75%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3XfeIyO-U

OTOH, it's great for brush painting, too.

The green is straight out of the bottle, just diluted.

The gray is the AK Blue Grey with their Ocean Grey at a 4:2 ratio. The dark gray came out too dark; it's Tenebrous Gray and Ocean Grey at 50:50 mix, I'm going to overspray it with some clear with a few drops of blue gray.

One difference between the Stynylrez and the AK 3rd gen is that you really have to shake up the primer - I put a steel ball in all of my bottles. The AK just needs  few shakes.

Thanks again! I do have IPA, mineral spirits and distilled water I got specifically for thinning different paints. I will have to test them out as soon as the weather allows me to.