Author Topic: M3 Lee/Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles  (Read 100260 times)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: M3 Lee/Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »
Madill Yarders photo gallery, a lot of them of the M4 based machines, both VVSS and HVSS types.
https://pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_logging_equipment

Monster that used eight HVSS suspension assemblies.

Click on this link if the photo doesn't show:
https://pbase.com/rustygrapple/image/133146618
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2020, 03:56:07 AM »
More Madill yarders, these ones are O71 Yarders
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:57:44 AM by apophenia »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2020, 03:33:06 AM »
M4A3(105)W HVSS with a T121 powered cupola armed with 2x .50cals:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2020, 04:19:54 AM »
Sherman with 40mm:

And there is a conversion kit available!!!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:26:46 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2020, 04:24:13 AM »
90mm Gun Motor Carriage, T53:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2020, 02:55:30 AM »
Applying concrete armour to Sherman:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2020, 03:16:31 AM »
Note the 'gun':

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2020, 04:09:01 AM »
While I am aware that round-turret 76mm-gun (M1 or equivalent, not the 17-pounder) Shermans do exist post-WWII, I don't really understand what they did to manage to avoid the need to adopt the bigger T23 turret......
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:10:38 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2020, 06:07:03 AM »
Cost.  Plenty of early M4 Sherman hulls post war that were surplus.  It was much cheaper to modify the gun mount to take the 76mm gun than to cast an entirely new turret to fit the older hulls. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:31 AM »
I don't really understand what they did to manage to avoid the need to adopt the bigger T23 turret......

As I understand it, it was nothing phyiscal, just a matter of perspective.

In 1942 and early '43, you don't have a specific need for the 76mm gun, but rather an anticipated future need for the gun. And you have to remember, US Ordnance is basically only considering the US Army's needs when they're developing new equipment. So when they put American troops in the turret and they complain about the lack of room to handle the larger ammunition, then the potential advantages of the extra penetration didn't seem to be worth it when weighed against the poorer HE effect (remember, that was the primary role and ammunition type used by US tanks during every stage of WWII), slower rate of fire, reduced ammunition capacity, and additional supply chain concerns. It wasn't an impossible fit, it just wasn't considered worth the downsides.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/turret_types/76mm_turrets.html

And they didn't specifically develop the new 76mm turret in response to these complaints so that the Sherman could mount the 76mm gun, but it was just that the new, larger turret developed for the T23 tank (Ordnance's replacement for the Sherman) had the same turret ring as the Sherman. By mid-1943, when the 76mm was reconsidered for the Sherman, 250 T23 tanks had been ordered and more orders were expected, so it wasn't a theoretical, paper design. This was a turret that was designed & developed, the castings existed, and the turret was already in production, so it was basically a drop in replacement that would just require changes to the hull ammunition racks.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/m4a3e4/m4a3e4.html

Now, after WWII, the equation is much different. Tank armor is getting thicker, not thinner. The 76mm gun has proved its worth and nobody wants a warmed up WWI French 75 anymore. We're not talking about making new turrets and new tanks. We're talking about making the most efficient use out of existing parts.

We're not worried about the US Army, these are only meant for export. We're not worrying about bulky American troops in the turret, complaining about being too cramped. We're talking about taking 100 tanks, sending them on a boat across the ocean, and never having to think about it again. You're not worrying about US Army doctrine and stepping on the shoes of the Tank Destroyer Command. These tanks could very well be the only tanks in the inventory of the MDAP recipient army. In that world, then squeezing the 76mm gun into the 75mm Sherman turret is just fine.

The British came to similar conclusions when they developed the Charioteer on converted Cromwell chassis after WWII. That was even tougher. They had to design a new turret entirely and still chuck one guy out of it to make the bigger gun fit. By comparison, the M4E6 compromise was great.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:07 PM »
Timely post Logan, I just opened this topic to speculate about British and Commonwealth Shermans (and derivatives) had the war continued for longer, they been retained post war or even mobilized for an evolving scenario.  The idea was HVSS and 20pdr in T23 turret Shermans and Achilles tank destroyers, while the remaining small turret Shermans are regunned with 77mm HV.  None of this is because the British guns are better, but because these vehicles were meant to make up numbers in a rapidly expanded land force that was primarily equipped with Comets and Centurions.

Possible reasons, the Soviet Union supplies huge quantities of armour etc to China (and possibly thousands of "volunteers") during the Korean conflict and the Commonwealth forces have to mechanise asap.  I don't know what Canada, South Africa and New Zealands post war plans were but I know all three nations deployed significant armoured forces during WWII, while Australia's post war army was initially intended to be built around and regular Infantry Regiment of three battalions in one Brigade and a regular Armoured Brigade with five tank regiments (Centurion replacing Churchill) and two reserve Armoured Brigades each of five tank regiments (Comet replacing M-3 Grant and Matilda), with additional reserve Citizen Military Forces (CMF) cavalry regiments assigned as reconnaissance and anti tank units.  Due to economic reasons this never eventuated but had the threat justified it there obviously wouldn't be enough Centurions and Comets to go around, making modernised Shermans and M-10s ideal for the rapid expansion.  Initially issued as received, workshops would progressively bring them up to a common standard using kits that could be produced much faster than new build modern tanks could be delivered to Commonwealth forces.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »
Well, no question the 20 pdr you mentioned (and fitted in the Charioteer) was better than any of the contemporary American guns, my point was just that it came at a cost when it came to fitting it to a turret on the Cromwell hull. I actually think the Charioteer looks pretty good, but it was apparently not well thought of (and I can see why).

As to putting the 20 pdr in the T23 turret, that should work fine in the world of postwar compromised crew ergonomics. It's certainly no larger than the CN-105-57 the Israelis used, though I imagine the recoil force is comparable.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
Well, no question the 20 pdr you mentioned (and fitted in the Charioteer) was better than any of the contemporary American guns, my point was just that it came at a cost when it came to fitting it to a turret on the Cromwell hull. I actually think the Charioteer looks pretty good, but it was apparently not well thought of (and I can see why).

As to putting the 20 pdr in the T23 turret, that should work fine in the world of postwar compromised crew ergonomics. It's certainly no larger than the CN-105-57 the Israelis used, though I imagine the recoil force is comparable.

The Charioteer was at best a compromise and more of a tank destroyer than a tank, with very thin armour on its two man turret.

I understand the reason the 17pdr wasn't installed in the T23 turret was there was simply no need as the 76mm was of comparable performance and Shermans so fitted were not available pre D Day when the Firefly conversions were required, even if it had been determined to be worth while converting them for logistical reasons.  The 20pdr is another matter entirely, a massive increase in performance, hence worth the effort combining with the reliable, adequately armoured Sherman Easy Eight, in the late 40s, early 50s as a mobilisation measure.

As for the 77mm, it seemed like a possibly beneficial upgrade for the small turret Shermans, providing better AT performance than the 75mm with less ergonomic compromise than the 17pdr or US 76mm.  The M-10 / Achilles would be an improvement in performance with minimal operational compromise, a more powerful M-36 equivalent.

Centurions would be the core of the independent Tank Brigades, Comets would equip the Reconnaissance Regiments, 20pdr Shermans would make up the lions share of the tanks in armoured divisions, while 77mm Shermans and 20pdr Achilles would support the infantry divisions in an anticipated conflict against Russia or China in the decade and a half after WWII.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2020, 05:15:23 AM »
So the Yugoslavians wedged a 122mm main gun into an M4A3 in 1956.
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar-yugolsavian-prototypes-so-122/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2020, 02:42:46 AM »
Wicked:

Also of interest in that link is the version trialed with the engine from the T-34-85:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #191 on: May 03, 2020, 07:40:11 AM »
Now you blokes have gone and done it.
I have the Academy Lee kit out that has been lanquishing for a goodly while in the stash.
Was slated to be a Yeramba (running gear issues aside) but with so many other good options in this thread actual plastic hacking may commence. :D

So either APC option (leading) or a 40mm Bofors mounting (good use for the rather average Italeri Bofors)

Besides the new Miniart Lee/Grant offerings look much better basis for a Yeramba (Not as much interior to scratch up)  with a Bronco 25 Pounder rather than the Tamiya one I have put aside.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:46:53 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2020, 04:51:46 AM »
Random idea:  1946 extended WWII or even Korean War Sherman equipped with IR searchlight to allow night fighting.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2020, 10:50:43 PM »
Contextualization, also good way to kill 45 minutes of quarantine time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ19oZRZqfc

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »
Contextualization, also good way to kill 45 minutes of quarantine time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ19oZRZqfc

Unfortunately, not available in Australia. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
Swapping turrets between T-55 and Super Sherman M-51

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:02:23 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2021, 02:30:24 PM »
T72 tank destroyer, it uses the M10 hull fitted with a modified version of the Sherman 76mm turret with the roof cut out to make it open topped & a more angular rear fitted with a storage box.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 02:34:30 PM by Mig Eater »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2021, 05:38:55 AM »
T72 tank destroyer, it uses the M10 hull fitted with a modified version of the Sherman 76mm turret with the roof cut out to make it open topped & a more angular rear fitted with a storage box.   

I wonder, was the turret roof removed for situational awareness reasons or as a weight saving measure?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2021, 09:48:56 AM »
Probably a bit of both. TD crews were strong proponents of open tops for their vehicles, as the better situational awareness gave them the first-shot advantage over most tanks. 8)

However, they weren't so keen whilst it was raining or they were under artillery fire. :o

Trade-offs. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
Thanks. That makes sense. What's a little rain if you get a round or two off while your opponent is still faffing about with his periscopic sights?

But, yeah, shrapnel would be another matter  :o