Author Topic: M26A1: Ideas needed  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
M26A1: Ideas needed
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
I will be building the Hobby Boss M26A1 for this build. I am really leaning to adding the 105 mm barrel from the leftover Academy M51 turret I have.

Should I use the muzzle brake from the M51,or use a W.W.2 style muzzle brake?

I was thinking of an invasion of Japan scenario,but then I would have to add some sort of anti-magnetic mine paste. I have tried adding stuff like zimmerit in the past,and basically suck at it.

The Academy M51 105 barrel is a bit longer than the 90 barrel from the Hobby Boss kit. I will probably add some sort of counter weight on the back of the turret.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: M26A1: Ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »
If you are wanting to model a "Little Peter" as used in Korea, you just need to cut back the kit gun barrel. It didn't use a muzzel break. It looked a lot like the Sherman 105. There are good pictures in the Squadron book "Armor in Korea". 
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »
If you are wanting to model a "Little Peter" as used in Korea, you just need to cut back the kit gun barrel. It didn't use a muzzel break. It looked a lot like the Sherman 105. There are good pictures in the Squadron book "Armor in Korea".

That was the M45,right? Mine will be a long barreled version.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
Nope,it's just the M26 with the howtizer. The same format as the Sherman howtizer version. The nickname is from the short barrel and the " Big" differences in the gun length. As far as I know they never made an up gunned M26,but I'll check my references to be sure. I'll post it ASAP.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
Nope,it's just the M26 with the howtizer. The same format as the Sherman howtizer version. The nickname is from the short barrel and the " Big" differences in the gun length. As far as I know they never made an up gunned M26,but I'll check my references to be sure. I'll post it ASAP.

As far as I know,there was no version of the M26 with a long 105. My memory may be playing tricks on me,but I may have read that the US Army was considering adding a long 105 during the early days of the cold war.

I think I may go with a 20 pdr barrel.That had some impressive armor penetration,