Author Topic: Fairey Albacore  (Read 6751 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Fairey Albacore
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
Now that two of us have a model kit of the Fairey Albacore* it might be time for a topic devoted to this aircraft that was intended to replace the Fairey Swordfish but wound up complementing that aircraft instead of replacing it. 

Wikipedia Fairey Albacore

(Image source: Wikipedia Fairey Albacore

*Yes, GTX, you are that other modeler :)

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: Fairey Albacore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
Tundra tires, a large pannier.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:20:37 AM »
How about USN or RAN?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:22:35 AM »
Maybe a float plane version?

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:48:09 AM »
Maybe a float plane version?

didn't that exist in the Real Word? maybe not ...
but I did one :

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
The Albacore on floats might be a winner if it were in civil markings and working the bush in Canada and Alaska. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:07:18 AM »
The Albacore on floats might be a winner if it were in civil markings and working the bush in Canada and Alaska.

Agreed.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:12:06 AM »
The Applecore was designed as a wheeled aircraft, the first prototype was fitted with floats
for test purposes in 1940, checking suitability for the catapult role. Performance was poor,
the floats were 'dirty' (excessively draggy) while taxiing, tended to throw water up into the
engine cowling and prone to porposing. In the air it was heavy on the controls and had some
stability issues. The float notion was not pursued.

If you want a float/amphib version I'd cross it with a Grumman Duck.  :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »
Slowly making my way through Friedman's British Cruisers and a number of mentions have been made of the perceived importance of floatplane torpedo bombers, dive bombers, fighters and spotting aircraft.  The problem was treaties and finances restricted the numbers of carriers available so station forces, a mix of heavy, light and older trade protection cruisers, were required to carry sufficient aircraft to provide a viable strike, reconnaissance and fighter cover, hence floatplane versions of many carrier and land based types were developed as well as some specific types, i.e. the Seafox.

This was primarily intended for the Far East as the battle fleets were stationed at home and in the Mediterranean with mainly cruisers in SEA, which would be required to scout and delay any Japanese offensive until heavy forces could be pivoted from the Mediterranean and aircraft, even in the absence of carriers would be vital for this. For example the HMS York, like Exeter and the Counties, had a heavy catapult amidships, but was also intended to have a light catapult forward over B turret for a fighter, scout or spotter type.  The idea was scout cruisers would use their aircraft to find the Japanese, while the eight heavy cruisers would carry strike aircraft to directly attack Japanese forces and fighters to defend themselves.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:20:24 AM »
The Applecore was designed as a wheeled aircraft, the first prototype was fitted with floats
for test purposes in 1940, checking suitability for the catapult role. Performance was poor,
the floats were 'dirty' (excessively draggy) while taxiing, tended to throw water up into the
engine cowling and prone to porposing. In the air it was heavy on the controls and had some

If you want a float/amphib version I'd cross it with a Grumman Duck.  :icon_fsm:

Thanks for the information Jon,  The Duck might actually be a practical solution if the float section is long enough to make it appear that it could possibly support the Albacore at rest.  Plus it has the wing floats so maybe it is time to source one of those old Duck kits. 

I looked at the float from the Monogram Kingfisher for a quick check fit and quickly realized it would take two of those floats to make it look functional and the result would be a bit too narrow in beam to be practical. 

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:24:32 AM »
Well, I was speaking in terms of design rather than cross-kitting as the Applecore was larger
and heavier than the Duck, so the float from a 1/48 (or 1/72) Duck would need to be lengthened
and widened.

Also the old ITC/Glencoe is actually closer to 1/50th scale.  ;D
conspiracy.”

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »
Of course there are other options for a central float layout aside from mounted on struts or faired in ala the Duck,
mounted on a large pylon/trunk like these two SARO concepts is a possibility:

... or take a walk into the strange like these two:  ;D

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:18:37 AM by jcf »
conspiracy.”

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
beautiful seaplanes! I never saw them before

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »

This also says that the design of the floats also prevented Albacore floatplane from being used as a torpedo bomber.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
I was traveling down the rabbit hole that is the internet and came across the CMK resin conversion for the Tamiya 1:48th scale Fairey Swordfish MkIII.  This conversion which consists of a rather ugly radome shape that is attached to the underside of the fuselage and additional parts for the torpedo sight and replacement tail planes.  Far too many extra pieces for what I need so that got me to thinking about an Albacore that would have a radar installed on the wing, something like the AN/APS-4 pod.  That way the Albacore could carry a weapon on the fuselage stores station or a fuel tank to extend range.  Just something to pass along for anyone that has an interest in an Albacore what-if/what could have been project.

Offline tigercat

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
Luftwaffe version either in maritime markings or with yellow undersides as a captured version.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:10 AM »
an Albacore that would have a radar installed on the wing, something like the AN/APS-4 pod.  T

That would be a subtle whiff forcing those who saw it to run to their references to check if it were real or not. :smiley:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 05:17:21 AM »
an Albacore that would have a radar installed on the wing, something like the AN/APS-4 pod.  T
That would be a subtle whiff forcing those who saw it to run to their references to check if it were real or not. :smiley:
Exactly. 

IRL, it would appear that the Albacore had no such modifications applied to the aircraft during service, unlike the Swordfish.  Even the earlier radar systems with the Yagi style antennas mounted outboard on the wings might be a good what-if/what could have been.  :)

Was disappointed to see that the CMK floatplane conversion for the Swordfish has been discontinued or currently OOP.  Maybe a good deal can be found for the Tamiya Swordfish kit with the floats. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:19:46 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
Exactly. 

IRL, it would appear that the Albacore had no such modifications applied to the aircraft during service, unlike the Swordfish.  Even the earlier radar systems with the Yagi style antennas mounted outboard on the wings might be a good what-if/what could have been.  :)

Was disappointed to see that the CMK floatplane conversion for the Swordfish has been discontinued or currently OOP.  Maybe a good deal can be found for the Tamiya Swordfish kit with the floats.

Well, there was this Fairey nightfighter aircraft, got the conversion for this in the stash too.