Author Topic: Antipodean Armourfest!  (Read 25052 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Antipodean Armourfest!
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
That ACIV is obviously something they have mocked up themselves as the real ACIV had a new, wider turret.

As for using a 38(t) hull - too narrow for anything larger than a 2 Pdr.  You'd need to splice in a section of new hull to make the turret ring large enough for a three man crew.

Using Panzer III components I could see working.   It would be large enough to mount a 6 Pdr.  Its armour would be thick enough to withstand most Japanese AT weapons.   It would need more than likely a new, different turret with a higher mantlet for the 6 Pdr.  It would find it difficult to have a 17 Pdr mounted in it because of the turret ring size.

A Panzer IV would be another good choice.   However, castings would alter it's shape considerably.  Again a higher turret would be required.

As I suggested though, neither could not be used against the Germans for obvious reasons. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »

As I suggested though, neither could not be used against the Germans for obvious reasons.

Not necessarily - remember that use of captured enemy tanks was actually quite common so if you were worried about appearance it may not be as big of an issue as you would think. 
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »

Not necessarily - remember that use of captured enemy tanks was actually quite common so if you were worried about appearance it may not be as big of an issue as you would think.

They invariably had to be marked with over-size markings, usually in white to make sure they weren't shot at by the side operating them.

This reduces their ability to hide and use camouflage effectively.  Then you have problems with a lack of spares (which is what ended up stopping the use of "Cuckoo" by the Coldstream Guards).

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
You forgot these - proof of an Australian precedent:

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2018, 09:56:43 PM »
Awesome thanks.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 04:21:27 AM »
Something a little lighter but still Australian armour arguably:  the Rover Light Armoured Car, 238 of which were built during WWII:

Not sure if there is a kit available.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »
Interesting photo showing Matilda II of the 2 / 9th Australian armored regiment landing on the island of Labuan:

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »
Nice, especially the Matilda.

Its ironic that traditionally the RAAC aspired to "cruiser" and light tanks but infantry and heavy tanks better suit how Australian armor was deployed.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
I love how the cinecamera man is the only digger ready for action. ;D

Given the lack of manoeuvre room in the SEA Theatre & the virtual impregnability of the Matilda to most Japanese anti-tank weapons, & the ability to carry guns which were either capable anti-tank weapons (against Japanese tanks) or effective anti-fortification weapons, it was the perfect platform for the roles required of it.

Only thing she couldn't do was swim! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »

Given the lack of manoeuvre room in the SEA Theatre & the virtual impregnability of the Matilda to most Japanese anti-tank weapons, & the ability to carry guns which were either capable anti-tank weapons (against Japanese tanks) or effective anti-fortification weapons, it was the perfect platform for the roles required of it.

Had the war continued the RAAC would have reequipped with Churchills, predominantly the 95mm armed Mk VIII as well as a substantial number of Crocodile kits.  They were pretty much ideal for the type of action seen in the Pacific and SEA late war.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »

I wonder how a Churchill AVRE Petard would go on a Matilda. Certainly would help with bunker clearance

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2022, 01:51:35 AM »
Just some photos:

CFBVs