Author Topic: LemonJello Intergalactic Heavy Industries Shipyard  (Read 16143 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
LemonJello Intergalactic Heavy Industries Shipyard
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
I'm jumping into this GB even as I struggle to wrap up my previous projects for the Clear Your Workbench event...

Here are the raw materials:

Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of an "Earth Left Behind" scenario - we have left our home planet behind and are "seeding" (or is that infecting?) the galaxy with humankind.  This project will be one of the "arks" that is headed outward - never to return to the planet of our birth.  Scale will probably work out in the 1/700 - 1/1000 range in the end.

Here's hoping the shipyard can stay on budget and on schedule...the launch window is fast approaching.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: LemonJello Intergalactic Heavy Industries Shipyard
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:29:56 AM »
Looking forward to this.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:17:22 AM »
That is a great array of stuff

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Indeed! This looks very intriguing  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »
Construction has begun, barely, and I need to gather a few materials before it can progress.

In lieu of photos, I'm including a rough idea of the design I'm aiming for, for your viewing enjoyment.

*exploded view - this is more of a concept than true plans - many of the modules and sections aren't to scale of the parts on hand, but it helped me get a better idea of how I want to move forward on this one. 

Comments welcome, of course.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:07:46 AM by LemonJello »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Looks like a plan to me! Carry on!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »
Interesting

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
Construction has begun, barely, and I need to gather a few materials before it can progress.

In lieu of photos, I'm including a rough idea of the design I'm aiming for, for your viewing enjoyment.

*exploded view - this is more of a concept than true plans - many of the modules and sections aren't to scale of the parts on hand, but it helped me get a better idea of how I want to move forward on this one. 

Comments welcome, of course.

Is that your work? very nice!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »

I played around with SketchUp over lunch(es) this week and eventually came up with this, so, it's my original work (heavily influenced by movies, tv and Google Images searches).

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:21 AM »

I played around with SketchUp over lunch(es) this week and eventually came up with this, so, it's my original work (heavily influenced by movies, tv and Google Images searches).

Thats great!! I am trying to get into the pixel game, but its rudimentary so far  :)

-David Fincher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
Updates on both the digital and physical fronts:

Digital:

Physical:

And a question: What kind of glue will stick styrene to ping pong balls?  The following are the types I've tried:

Acetone
M.E.K.
Ambroid ProWeld
Testors Liquid Cement
Loctite Gel CA
Extra Power Thin CA
WeldBond

Failing to find a working adhesive, I'll have to find replacement spheres for my project.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15:17 AM »
I've never tried gluing ping pong balls, I assumed polystyrene glue would work. Apparently they are some other type of plastic. Learned something new.
Have you tried epoxies yet? If they are PVC some plumbers pipe glue may work.
later that day
Well, a little research turns up the fact that ping pong balls are made from nitro cellulose, not a real plastic. The two halves are glued together with an alcohol base adhesive. Of course, alcohol will have no effect on plastics so lets hope the epoxy works.

Check here: http://www.justanswer.com/general/1s3or-please-explain-detail-ping-pong-ball-made.html

Don't try heating them as they burn like mad! Back in the old days older balls would burst into flame in the middle of a game!

Craft stores carry clear plastic balls for making your own Christmas ornaments in different sizes. I think they are PS.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:32:13 AM by kerick »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 09:01:55 PM »
kerick,

Thanks for the help, I had looked up what ping pong balls were made of, thinking they were some form of ordinary plastic, only to find out that they are not. The sites I had looked at mentioned both Acetone and Methyl Ethyl Ketone as solutions to my adhesives quandry.  These ping pong balls just shrugged both of those compounds off without a mark, mar or visible change to their surface.  I was surprised that CA had similar results, except for bonding my fingertips together briefly.

On the plus side, the M.E.K. works just like Tenax or Pro-weld, so I now have a large reserve of styrene glue.

I may just look for some replacement spheres - I'm leaning to trying fishing bobbers next (more availability than craft stores here on the Outer Banks of NC).

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 03:39:54 AM »
I used to make pyrotechnic devices from ping pong balls, flash paper, powdered magnesium (aka "Flash Powder"), and cannon fuze.  Fun little things as the report was loud and there was a nice flash as the magnesium burned bright for a moment.  I would cut one ping pong ball in half and drill a hole in the shell large enough to accommodate the fuze.  The other ping pong ball would have a hole carved into it large enough to allow the charge to be inserted with the fuze attached to it.  The half a ball with the small hole in it was then glued over the section with the large hole after charge was inserted and then wrapped with a lot of black electricians tape.  The cannon fuze was waterproof so if you wanted, the lit device could be tossed in to water or left to do its deed on dry ground.  Much fun was had with those things before I decided that maybe I should go larger.  That is when I graduated to tennis balls, black powder, and cannon fuze and never looked back :) 

Bigger boom for less effort :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 03:47:42 AM »
Much fun was had with those things before I decided that maybe I should go larger.  That is when I graduated to tennis balls, black powder, and cannon fuze and never looked back :) 

He writes from his prison cell after going too big...

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:34 AM »
You know you have made a good pyrotechnic device when the explosion makes your insides rumble as the shock wave passes through you ;)

I quit all that while I still had all my fingers and toes. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:09:22 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
If MEK and CA don't work I'm stumped  :o Thats crazy!

Hopefully the Fishing supplies pan out.  :)

-David Fincher

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
I've had ping pong balls in the drawer waiting to be used but now I'll just use some other spherical object. I'll learn to use ping pong balls for their intended purpose.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLByTnNwico

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
I know I've glued ping-pong ball bits onto a model (below, the fan inlet covers) but I can't remember what I used. :-\

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 04:23:53 AM »
FWIW on sticking ping pong ball pieces together.  I think I was using Testor's liquid cement in the square bottle with the brush attached to the bottle cap.  It worked for me but results may vary. 

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 11:38:03 PM »
Awesome concept. Brings back memories of the spaceships of childhood. Good job !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
Years ago, I sprayed several layers of Mr. Surfacer on one (spray, sand smooth, repeat) and I was able to use CA glue to hold it in place without peeling off the primer. I also punched a hole in the ball and placed a straight piece of sprue that reached to the opposite side (or pole) then used CA around the opening. That held.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
Well, these ping pong balls may have been made from leftovers of Wolverine's bones. Nothing was having any effect.

So, I swung by WalMart and picked up some fishing bobbers of appropriate diameter to replace them, only set me back $3 and I have 10 spheres.

Now, if any of my assorted adhesives won't cooperate with these, I may just have to start collecting sea shells as a hobby...

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
I think you are on the right track now. Waiting to see pics of pieces glued together!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:18 AM »
Photos from the LemonJello Shipyard.

PSR complete:

Landing Sphere:

Start of the Agronomy Module: