Author Topic: Douglas DC-8, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11 and the rest of MDs  (Read 12727 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: MDD DC-9 'Air Stair' (Rear Passenger Ramp) Location
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »
Can anyone share a drawing or URL that shows where the rear passenger door/ramp is located on the MDD DC-9?  My recent acquisition of the Aurora 1:72nd scale DC-9 kit has minimal details and most every image or drawing I have found so far on-line pretty much ignore this unique feature of the DC-9.   

I would like to try and scribe in the detail of the ramp on the underside of the fuselage if possible.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Douglas DC-8, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11 and the rest of MDs
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
Found these, Jeff. Don't know if you already have them;

Drat!
The owner of this website (imgproc.airliners.net) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/photos/airliners/4/3/5/2352534.jpg).

Maybe not the clearest images but it has a bit of good info in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441GFRtqwsM&app=desktop

Not as useful but interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DM0xF7xTE

You might, also, want to get the forward airstairs right, too.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:38:26 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the assist Guy!  The first image you linked to appears to have created a hot-link conflict and will not show. 
The other images are in view. 
The "Air Stair" feature for the forward access door is not featured on the old Aurora kit, just the outline of the door and according to my research efforts it was not fitted to all DC-9 aircraft.  The rear steps are what I am after.  The rear view does help some in establishing the width of the thing and I can do some more guesstimation on where it lies on the underside of the fuselage. 

Without getting in to too much detail.  The objective is to try and scribe in the rear access stairs or if possible create an open step feature for an "alphabet agency" clandestine cargo aircraft that could drop "stuff" at night or in adverse weather.  Based on something I read several years ago that I think was a B727 that had the rear stairs modified to create a ramp to allow delivery of small "door bundles" with parachutes in support of some guerilla war.  So with that in mind, I hope to create something similar from the DC-9.  It has no windows along the fuselage sides so it is almost ideal for a cargo carrier.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »
Seeing that rear stair reminded me of something, when I went to the Yeovilton Royal Navy Museum, they had one of the prototype Concordes on display and you could do a walk through the cabin. We accessed it through a rear stair ---- but exited through a side cabin door near the front.

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
Without getting in to too much detail.  The objective is to try and scribe in the rear access stairs or if possible create an open step feature for an "alphabet agency" clandestine cargo aircraft that could drop "stuff" at night or in adverse weather.  Based on something I read several years ago that I think was a B727 that had the rear stairs modified to create a ramp to allow delivery of small "door bundles" with parachutes in support of some guerilla war.  So with that in mind, I hope to create something similar from the DC-9.  It has no windows along the fuselage sides so it is almost ideal for a cargo carrier.

D.B.Cooper, is that you ?        ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:53:28 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »
@Guy - thank you for the assistance!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
Evidently most DC-9-10 don't have the ventral stairs and the old Aurora kit is more
or less a DC-9-10. Stairs were optional on later series. Non-stair aircraft have a
detachable tailcone and an escape chute. The built in fwd. airstair was fitted to all
but the freighters.

Page 33 of this airport planning doc shows the critical clearances for the ventral stairs.
The door measurements are 27.75" X 72". Page 28 shows the Fwd. Cargo Door on the
freighter versions, pg. 19 has the interior arrangement for a 'shorty' freighter, the Aurora
kit is a shorty DC-9.

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/commercial/airports/acaps/dc9.pdf
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
@JCF - Thanks for the additional information.  I must have missed the bit on the ventral stairs not being on all versions.  The kit states it is a model of a DC-9-10 and that was about it.  I still like my idea of a clandestine cargo delivery aircraft with a ventral stair converted to a ramp with rollers to facilitate smooth delivery of cargo bundles in the dark of night.  :smiley:

Otherwise, it goes to the scrap heap...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 01:05:25 AM »

Otherwise, it goes to the scrap heap...

I'll buy it off you Jeff, if you come to that

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 08:26:54 AM »
DC-10 along with its derivative twin. Another real project https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/twin-engined-dc-10-project.4299/post-34002

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 08:29:05 AM »
Do you know that DC-9 could be a downscaled DC-8 with 4 smaller engines? https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/douglas-dc-9-development-concepts.9880/

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »