Author Topic: A Swept Wing Peashooter  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
A Swept Wing Peashooter
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »

The Boeing P-26 Peashooter is famous as the U.S. Army Air Corps' first all-metal, monoplane pursuit and was exported in small numbers. Guatemala was one country where they had a lengthy service life.

Less well-remembered is the swept-wing version that formed the bulk of fighter strength for the small, congested Republic of Snot-a-maula.

This tiny central American nation, known for the nasal quality of its local dialect, was under the rule of a stuffy despotic strong-man.

He applied for and received U.S. Military Assistance Program (MAP) grants to buy modern fighter jets (preferably American), but a loop-hole allowed this to be used for upgrading aircraft already in service. Only 2% of the money was spent as actually intended since there were more pressing priorities.

Snot-a-maula "modernized" their P-26s by adding a bubble canopy and most notably, a new swept-wing to increase the Peashooter's critical Mach number.

While the increase in critial Mach from 0.26 to 0.27 was not that impressive, it was enough to fudge the books so the Gringos wouldn't catch on.

Also, from the right altitude and angle, these aircraft could be mistaken for F-84Fs, making the Snot-a-maulan Air Force (Fuerza Aero Ahh-Choo) seem far more potent than it actually was.

Unfortunately, all this subterfuge would be undone in the heat of battle when Snot-a-maula was dissolved in the terrible Ten Hour War.

The shortness of this anti-histamine conflict may have something to do with why it's not included in many history books. Tragically, none of the swept-wing Peashooters survived, most having crashed due to various stoppages and the rest cannibalized for parts.

Still, for one brief moment this incredibly speedy-looking pursuit faced the future bravely even if the so-called "experts" insist it's all just too stuffed up to make any sense.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:41:44 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: A Swept Wing Peashooter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:48:17 PM »
This started with the venerable 1/72 Revell P-26A Peashooter. Your box art may vary.

While this kit is very basic by today's standards, it still builds up easily and sure looks like a P-26. Unless you do terrible things to it like this.

Some left-over F-84F fins & rudders fit rather nicely as swept wings. I added what might be the world's smallest flaps cut from card to fill the gap with the fuselage.

I was delighted that I'd be able to use the kit's lovely spatted landing gear without any trouble.

The model was painted with the old hairy stick in acrylics, Model Masters Primer Gray and Deck Green mostly.

The canopy (swiped from a Typhoon) was tinted on the inside with Testor's Royal Blue and the prop was done in Model Masters Aluminum.

Model Masters Flat Black was used on the tires and custom mixes on the engine cylinders and exhaust.

I gave the whole engine piece a black wash to grime it up and pick out the details.

The decals were all from spares and the rigging between the wheels is this great plastic wire Mr Fontaine sent me a while back (thanks a million, amigo!).

The idea came about when Bill and I were discussing swept wing possibilities and I'm grateful to him for getting me to think a bit outside the box with this concept. Here's a "money" shot with a U.S. penny for scale. This is one tiny model, but I like working small.

It took me less than a week to put this together but the build was a bunch of stops and starts since life intruded on my bench time.

I hope you enjoyed the swept wing Peashooter even if it's so strange it all seems like some kind of fever dream.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:47:46 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »
Well that made my morning Brian  ---- Snot-a-maula      LMAO  ;D

Nicely done to and doesn't look too far out of place ----  (sorry still LMAO )

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:30 AM »
I remember this one!* My depraved and disagreeable ancestor, the notorious Dr. Yo, was an 'International observer' for some three and a third hours of the Ten Hour War, acting on
behalf of the even smaller Central American Anarchy** of Snautmiproblemo. His only reference to it in his journals is for the evening of July__,196X, "Bizarre Conflict, even by
my standards. I did attempt to recover one of the Snotamaulan fighters, but Hughes and his Glomar Explorer beat me to it. What could the CIA possibly want with such a thing?"
Despite having access to a century of subsequent data, I still have no answer for that one.

*In the weird sort of way that Ghosts from the future remember things.

** They can't all be Republics. Snautmiproblemo, founded by Franco-Hispanic colonists from the Pyrennes in the late 16th century, was a nation of about 12 square miles, wedged into a Mountain valley on the border of Nicaraugua and Cuba. ( Yes, they do share a border. It's very secret. ) Thier main export, besides indifferent poetry, was the
fabled "banana coffee" - reputedly the largest bean in the world. They were finally absorbed by a neighboring Maxwell House plantation in 1993.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »
Am learning so much from this topic !
Remembering junior high teacher who had us study central & south america all year.  These postings would certainly get his attention.
Brian, you have nack for making the unlikely appear likely.  More I look at it the more correct it looks.  :smiley:
And again a fitting color scheme.  :smiley:
Higher critical Mach and prestigious cars - such a deal.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 06:36:50 AM »
Well that certainly changes the lines of That.

Terrible pity how the only examples of this aircraft disappeared.

You know, you know, nudge nudge, Say no More

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
I love the new lines you've created! That looks soo much better than the original design. Awesome build Brian
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Looks great with swept wings and the green is the national color of Snot-a-maula!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
Looks great with swept wings and the green is the national color of Snot-a-maula!

Good question.  I'm thinking must be.  Snealy of them to use US star insignia and replace red with their green.  To cheap to design all original insignia.
Thatz my take.  Brian would know for sure.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
With a name like  Snot-a-maula I suppose it had to have a green colour scheme  ;D

Nice one Brian

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »

Good question.  I'm thinking must be.  Snealy of them to use US star insignia and replace red with their green.  To cheap to design all original insignia.
Thatz my take.  Brian would know for sure.

Snot-a-maula was an oppressed minority of Guatemalan sinus sufferers that broke away from the mother country. Their markings pay homage to that heritage but with the addition of a green loogie.

Brian da Basher