Author Topic: IDF Border Patrol Fennek  (Read 22145 times)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Re: IDF Border Patrol Fennek
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 05:50:40 AM »
it wasnt that bad....time consuming and fiddly but actually easy enough. A friend has the Meng Terminator and there are over 800 pieces just for the tracks ???

Oh, now that is encouraging.  :icon_sueno: I've got two of the things!  :icon_beer:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 06:29:21 AM »
The Stryker is nearly complete so, at last, the build begins...
First, the Fennek: an absolutely beautiful kit! Stunning in the level of detail and so far the fit is immaculate. Only on page 2 of the instructions so far but really, really, really loving this kit.

With all the detail painting it might be a different story :)

And then the weapon station....wow! Goes together like a dream, but there was one nightmare moment. One critical part was missing and was going to take Live Resin a few weeks to recast as they are out of stock of this kit. However, a friend bought the other LR RWS as part of the same order and on checking his parts he had what was needed for mine in his set, but not used on it, so Iwas sorted and could continue. Some wiring, using stretched sprue, and the ammo feed chutes just to be added before painting.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 07:52:44 AM »
OK, Bro, you've convinced me! I'm buying a Trumpy Fennek For my RAM builds. 8)

Good to know that the LiveResin RWS goes together well, I've got one to put on top of a Merkava IV LIC (another RAM build). :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/IMG_0791_zps0b48525c.jpg

If you have one in the stash Wombat check the contents for the part indicated in this picture. When I checked the parts picture on the LR site it wasn't included there either. I think its a general issue with the kit contents rather than a one-off with my set. It could possibly be scratch buikt but the tollerances in LR sets are so fine even a difference of a fraction of a MM can makeca difference. I find even painting before assembly can make alligning oarts difficult.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
Started on the wheel-wells. Each "hub" has about 12 pieces before you even add the wheel. But the engineering is precise and it all goes together very easily. We'll see how well it sits on 4 wheels at the end of this step

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »
Damn! Looks like I'm missing the same part! :icon_crap:

Guess I'd better get in touch with LiveResin now, although I wont be doing the build for quite some time. ::)

Thanks for pointing that out, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
OK, Bro, you've convinced me! I'm buying a Trumpy Fennek For my RAM builds. 8)

Good to know that the LiveResin RWS goes together well, I've got one to put on top of a Merkava IV LIC (another RAM build). :)

Just read this, missed it earlier. Great minds but my Aussie Merkavas and Namers equipped the Armoured Support Companies of the RAR Battalions, not the RAM (I actually had them too but it was more like the French Foreign Legion than the USMC).  The Merkavas and Namers were to replace the Leopard AS1s, S-Tanks and Marders used by the RAR until the mid 90's.

Sorry for the highjack but I love the chance to compare ideas.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »
Hijack away Volkodav, it's all interesting stuff. But you might at least make a passing comment on the build in progress :)

Cleaned up the wiring. Not perfect, but will be OK once painted. If I was doing it again I'd have attached to the inner points before assembly.

And started adding detail to the inside:

Now ready to put the top on then add windows, doors and start painting the outside.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:33 PM »
Wow that's looking really good.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
This is coming along nicely. Great  paint job! What did you use for the interior base color? Where did you get the extra stowage?

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 03:07:08 AM »
Thanks Gents.

the base colour is Vallejo model-air Neutral Grey and the dashboard Black Grey. All applied with hairy-stuck brush. I went easy on the weathering just doing the floor and seats.
The stowage is a mix&match from my spares box. I cant pass up any half-way decent set of stowage. Thers some Meng, Voyager, Value Gear and probably a few other brands there also.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 06:51:17 AM »
Tinting the windows using coloured self-adhesive sheet on the inside...

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »
First coat of paint. Primed with rattle can Desert Yellow and brush painted with Vallejo IDF Sand Grey watered down. Second coat has been applied since I took the photo and looks a lot better now

Now to start all the detailing. Doors are just dry-fitted to aid painting but will be in the open position when complete

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »
 8)

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
Finished the RWS. Painted the guns and added the ammo feed belts. And a drop of gloss clear on the lens.

Quite pleased with it....now just need a very small amount of weathering....and to cover that bare patch on the side of the lens housing :) It's amazing how much more you see in a photograph that you don't notice when it's right in front of your nose.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 03:10:40 AM »
Looking good....makes me tempted to do something similar...in a Central/Eastern European scheme.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
Thanks, I'm thinking of something similar based on the Trumpeter Puma 4x4, another "cute" modern recon vehicle.

Anyway, some light weathering and was then able to take the window masks off. Detailed insides of hatches and doors.

Ready for the decals now then wing mirrors, lights and aerials....

Offline DaveyBoy

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
Looking very Good!, though it seems strange (to me)  :icon_swat: that it has those large unarmoured windows in the front - though that is the designs 'fault',  :icon_surprised:

Dave.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
I have seen pictures with slat on the windows and I presume the glass is ballistic at least.

Offline DaveyBoy

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »
I have seen pictures with slat on the windows and I presume the glass is ballistic at least.

Interesting, though that makes sense.

Thanks.

Dave.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
I love the look of the Fennek but that turret really makes it, I am stunned at how good it looks.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 03:45:16 AM »
Thanks Volkodav....they do look like they were akways meant to br together :)

Decals on and working on the lights & mirrors. The mirrors still need clean-up around the edges but I used very reflective silver sheet, like aluminimum foil but lighter and less wrinkly, for the mirrors.
Then some light weathering and we're done!

But one of my IPMS Ireland colleagues pointed out if it's an IDF vehicle it should have extra racks of jerry cans etc :) Might have to see what can be done

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
This build is making me really appreciate the Fennek & the turret. 8)

..... Combined?! :-*

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
Go for it Wombat! :) Two great kits that together are better than the sum of their parts...

Just the wipers to be added and the aerials painted and then its done:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:01:43 PM by 35th-scale »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »
Sweet, I'm forwarding these photos to our defence minister along with the request we buy / build several hundred of the real thing for the ADF.  ;)