Author Topic: Bullpup: the story of a Universal Carrier at war  (Read 4670 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Bullpup: the story of a Universal Carrier at war
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »

Sergeant Farrell Tingey smiled grimly as he wiped the mud from the badge on his beret. One more he and his tight-knit crew of four were about to head into battle aboard their tiny Universal Carrier, a tracked light vehicle with a 6-pounder anti-tank gun mounted ahead of its engine. Gunner Corporal Keegan Easley had given the mini-tank the name "Bullpup" early on and it had stuck - the most junior of the crew, loader Lance Corporal Barnabas McCourt had even "liberated" some whitewash from a nearby Engineer unit to paint the name on its left side. In reference to their commander's nationality he had also painted a stylised Kiwi bird on the right - Tingey's initial response of aggravation at this compromise of their camouflage had been swiftly defused by this touch.

"Thirty seconds!" their driver, Cpl Hugh Lindsay, called over his shoulder. With a smoothness born of endless practice and drilling he started the 100hp Ford V8 motor behind him. In seconds the engine was purring as much as it could, and Tingey had placed his beret in a safe spot in favour of his helmet. While their prized headwear gave them something of an elite status, the black fabric gave them no protection against the enemy…not that you could be terribly safe in an open-topped vehicle anyway, Tingey reflected. He glanced at the Sherman beside them and felt a momentary pang of jealousy as he saw its tonnes of armour.

“Five seconds!” Lindsay called over the growing din of engines around them.
“Loading!” McCourt replied as he fetched the first shell and readied it for the gun.
“We’re ready, sir!” Easley said to his commander.
Tingey turned away from the massive fighting vehicle next to him and looked at his driver. “Let’s go!”
“Affirmative!” Lindsay replied with enthusiasm as the launched the Carrier away from their camp and into battle.

The dozen or so armoured fighting vehicles clustered around the camp flag set off in every conceivable direction as radio chatter cluttered the airways. A pair of Walker Bulldogs raced ahead to the beach to spot for their allies; a trio of heavy self-propelled guns moved off to the protective cover of some immense boulders; the Shermans, Stuarts and Lees made straight for the hill a few hundred yards ahead. But Tingey knew that Bullpup wasn’t built for such full-on combat and instead directed Lindsay to the vineyards at the base of the hill, the southern end of the small village of Mines.

McCourt and Easley held on tight behind the blast-shield as Bullpup bounded over the uneven ground at full speed. Lindsay expertly slalomed around the grapevines and sped behind a pair of cottages, only to quickly stop behind a low stone wall.
Easley leaned out past the shield and pointed. “There!”
Through a pair of binoculars Tingey saw it was a Chi-Ha racing up the northern slope. “Target that tank!”
The gun fired immediately and before the shot had landed – short – McCourt was already loading the next and Easley was adjusting the gun to compensate.
The second shot found its target and the Chi-Ha’s left track unfurled onto the grass. Immobilised, it was easy meat for Bullpup’s third round which blew the turret from its hull. The crew had no time to celebrate – a nearby enemy Chaffee had spotted them from behind a small rise.
“Stug on the hill!” Lindsay called out, pointing to the rocky outcrop to the north-west.

“I hate when this happens,” Tingey thought to himself. The light-armoured Chaffee would be a quick kill for Bullpup’s gun, but was fast and could get away quickly. On the other hand the Stug had a high-powered gun and would easily dispatch the Universal Carrier – fleeing after spotting would be all they could do before being blown to hell.
But the decision had been made for him: the Chaffee had blasted away to the central hill but still caught a shell from Easley on its flank armour.
“Nice shot, Keegan,” Tingey shouted.

Suddenly there was a sharp, loud bang that rocked the small vehicle - a shell from the Stug had smacked into the front-left of Bullpup and taken out the track….and Tingey.
“Commander!” Lindsay screamed, shrapnel in his arm. There was no response from the man to his left. Regaining his composure he scanned his dash panel. “Left track immobilised, commander injured!”
“Relaoding!” a frantic McCourt called out.
Easley leaned out once more – ignoring the prone form of his commander – and pointed at the shape of the Stug on the distant hill. “Requesting fire!”
The shell slammed into the breech and the gun fired again, and the white shape of the projectile slammed into the dense front armour of the massive tank destroyer. The Stug, seemingly undamaged, fired in reply.

“Dammit!” he said softly as the view on his laptop’s screen pulled out to show the Universal Carrier explode and sit as a burning wreck.
“Did you die again, Tank Noob?” his wife asked, not even looking up from her colouring-in books.
“Yeah,” he sighed as he clicked “Back to Garage” and selected another of his tanks for battle in cyberspace. “I do win sometimes, you know.”
“Sure you do,” she chuckled.
“30 seconds, awaiting players,” the screen read as his desert-coloured Sherman sat waiting for the next fight.

After watching FURY I’ve got into tanks, and part of that has been discovering – and addictively playing – the PC game World of Tanks. When I found how nimble the humble Bren Gun carrier was, I decided it had to be the one to play all the time. Then I got to thinking about making a model of it…

This is the 2012 boxing of the - based on Scalemates - 1964-vintage Airfix 1/76 Bren Gun Carrier & 6-pdr Anti-Tank Gun. It's a surprisingly parts-heavy kit when you see how small it is and tried my patience...I feel bad for any 10-15-year-old gifted this kit! It comes with a towed 6-pounder gun and four figures (half a driver plus three gun crew), and is a sweet little kit. To make it sorta reminiscent of Bullpup I made a rudimentary mount and fairing to relocate the gun:

The kit has moulded-on detail of tools on the rear bumpery bit, but that's not really enough for me...so I shaved them off and made resin copies of the axe and shovel in Italeri's 1/72 Sherman kit. They're tiiiiiny but you can just make them out, ditto the new headlights and drilled barrel:

There is one slight flaw with Airfix's Bren Gun Carrier...there are no Bren Guns! So it's off to the spares box. Fortunately, when I decided to do some small-scale armour builds I found all the 1/72 machinegun bits I have and put them in a little "tank spares box". I used the barrel from possible a Lancaster gun as the main barrel, the body of another 1/72 Browning .50cal as the body, a Ju88 gun for the trigger and grip, random small tubing as the bit under the barrel, scrap for the stock, and a tiny bit of Hellcat landing gear door for the magazine. And then paint!

And, finally, a look at how the Bren Gun Carrier looks with some of Airfix's other 1/76 kits:

I told myself this was the last small-scale armour kit I would buy, but thanks to some store credit I have Zvezda's 1/72 snap-tite Tiger I on the way...and I found a cheap Airfix Centurion on eBay...and in a couple of months I'll be off to the National Army Museum to get pics of their Sherman Grizzly for the Italeri kit I mentioned...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Bullpup: the story of a Universal Carrier at war
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
Married 5 minutes & his missus is already making smart-arse remarks about his hobbies! ;D

Armour is good! Glad to see a micro-convert. ;)

Nice little build, that carrier. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:12:34 AM »
That worked out ok

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »
Very Nice work

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:21:20 AM »
Thanks folks, you're all very kind!

Wombat - no, I was "Tank Noob" for a few weeks beforehand! Someone in the game actually called me a noob when my ride at the time was blasted to a billion bits, I made the mistake of telling her as soon as it happened...every time I make a negative sound when playing, the name of Tank Noob is spoken! And everytime I do something else in everyday life and fail, -noob is a new suffix like -gate. Hotel Noob, Phone Noob, Life Noob... And once the Cent and Tiger arrive that's it, 1/76 and 72 are too small for me unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:22:53 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
And once the Cent and Tiger arrive that's it, 1/76 and 72 are too small for me unfortunately.

Tell me about it! ::)

All my armour is 1/35 & most of my current aircraft to build are 1/48.

With armour, I generally find that the prices for the 1/48 kits is too high in comparrison to 1/35 & the range is far too limited, & both are considerably more expensive than 1/72 or 1/76 (horrible scale!), but I love armour, so I wear the cost (& hiding it from the missus! ;) ).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:33:24 AM »
I cancelled the Tiger because it's taking too long to be stocked, so it's just the Cent...which may arrive today! That'll be a real-world Kiwi one to round out my mini-collection.

I was amazed at how cheap 1/35 armour kits are compared to the 1/32 and even 1/48 aircraft kits I've been eyeing up - the three 1/35s I have in the stash are chock-full of nicely-detailed plastic for reasonable prices. I talked about the cost with Sam so she was more comfortable...but every time I'm looking at tank photos for reference she gets worried! She has nothing to worry about as I have every kit I want now.

I haven't broken the news to her that the current round of stash thinning is so that I can get models of not just armour but also troopers from the 41st millennium...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:37:44 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
"I have every kit I want now"
Rotflmao!!!
Noob😉
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:22 AM »
I haven't broken the news to her that the current round of stash thinning is so that I can get models of not just armour but also troopers from the 41st millennium...

WH40K, I assume. ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
Nice work on such a small and ancient kit. The Universal Carrier looks very cramped. I hope the driver either gets out of the vehicle or has ear protection when that gun goes off. Not that the gun "servants" (as Italeri calls them) are that much better off.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
arkon - trust me! I've been browsing websites and phyisically eyeing store shelves and not finding anything at all I want!

Frank - thanks, and yes, the size of it continues to astound me. The commander figure is standing, hence having him "taken out" in the story!!

WH40K, I assume. ;)
By the Emperor and for the Greater Good, you are correct!
Zac in NZ

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
Well done, Zac-o-matic!

That's some mighty fine brush-work there my friend!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 04:55:12 AM »
Thanks Brian! You're very kind - it was surprisingly difficult to match it to my screenshots, partly because the kit is a bit different to the version in the game. A nice little project though.

When I get around to doing ink washes and weathering I'll resurrect this thread for some decent photos.
Zac in NZ