Author Topic: Tracked Land Speed Record Contender  (Read 21380 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Tracked Land Speed Record Contender
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »
Lots to like here.
After the racing thingy, a few addons, quick repaint and back on military duty, it would still look great

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »
This is something new...intresting approach.
Alex

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »
Thanks chaps. 

I have a paint scheme in mind that should help sell the concept.

I vaguely remember some sort of programme like that with Stalwarts and the alike... although perhaps I dreamt it...    ;)

That would be the one  8)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
Thanks chaps. 

I have a paint scheme in mind that should help sell the concept.

I vaguely remember some sort of programme like that with Stalwarts and the alike... although perhaps I dreamt it...    ;)
A very long time ago.  I had one of the Matchbox Stalwarts that was printed up in BP colours for some kind of race.  One of my favorite wheeled vehicles. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
Blimey, well there's a blast from the past!  I too had one of those Matchbox BP Stalwarts... but as you say, a very long time ago...
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
Oh wow, I had that Matchbox BP Stalwart as kid and just about wore it out playing with it!

Anyway, I love the racing Challenger! Not only do I think it'll look great in full race livery but it could work as a recce type vehicle with a small turret or weapons station.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
With the loss of mass from cutting away a road-wheel in length & getting rid of the turret I reckon she'll be quite quick & nimble, as both a racer & a recce vehicle. 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 06:33:56 AM »
Thanks.

Hopefully my intended colour scheme will do it justice.

Indeed, with a set of road wheels, turret and large portion of hull removed she would be quite a bit lighter but still has the big 1200hp Rolls Royce/Perkins engine (race tuned of course) to push her along. I'm not sure how much weight would be lost but perhaps down to 30 tonnes? What do you think?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 07:11:55 AM »
Why not say it was reversed engineered and made out of aluminum   ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »
It looks pretty nifty so far - I could see the course being cross-country in part, perhaps a different take on the Paris- Dakkar...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 10:56:30 PM »
Indeed, with a set of road wheels, turret and large portion of hull removed she would be quite a bit lighter but still has the big 1200hp Rolls Royce/Perkins engine (race tuned of course) to push her along. I'm not sure how much weight would be lost but perhaps down to 30 tonnes? What do you think?

That'd be pretty close, so you're looking at about 40hp/tonne or approx 29kW/tonne (vs 14.4 kW / tonne for the full vehicle).

It looks pretty nifty so far - I could see the course being cross-country in part, perhaps a different take on the Paris- Dakkar...

Well, as they no longer run the Paris-Dakar from Paris to Dakar due to safety concerns, maybe in this 'Verse they said "Damn the locals!" (in French, obviously) & ran the old course bullets, bombs & all but with appropriate safety precautions!
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 06:59:51 AM »
That'd be pretty close, so you're looking at about 40hp/tonne or approx 29kW/tonne (vs 14.4 kW / tonne for the full vehicle.

Perkins also do an uprated version of the CV12 Condor engine which pushes out 1,500hp (1,120kW). I might use this as the race tuned engine and so we could be looking at 50hp/tonne or approx 37kW/tonne. Now I reckon that wouldn't be too lethargic off the mark!  :o

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »
Well, as they no longer run the Paris-Dakar from Paris to Dakar due to safety concerns, maybe in this 'Verse they said "Damn the locals!" (in French, obviously) & ran the old course bullets, bombs & all but with appropriate safety precautions

That practically crys out for a  'local' team equipped with a shortened T- 80, powered by a Mig 21 engine.... ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Now we're talkin'! ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 02:33:15 AM »
Well, as they no longer run the Paris-Dakar from Paris to Dakar due to safety concerns, maybe in this 'Verse they said "Damn the locals!" (in French, obviously) & ran the old course bullets, bombs & all but with appropriate safety precautions

That practically crys out for a  'local' team equipped with a shortened T- 80, powered by a Mig 21 engine.... ;)

Maybe something like the ones shown here
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
Maybe something like the ones shown here

Hmmm... Jet and rocket assisted tanks... well there's a battle winner... not!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 05:17:21 AM »
Tracked Land Speed Record:

In 2010, the Russian Army introduced the ‘Tank Biathlon’ series of Military Games in which, similar to the winter sport of biathlon, tank crews compete to demonstrate their rough terrain driving skills combined with the ability to provide accurate and rapid fire while performing manoeuvres.  These games proved to be a great success and increasingly took on an international flavour as more countries sent their crews and MBTs to participate.

Of course ownership of armoured vehicles is not the sole domain of the world’s militaries and it didn’t take long for the private sector to show an interest in what the Russians were doing.  Having said that, for very good reasons there are laws in most civilised counties preventing civilians from owning large calibre artillery pieces and/or the ammunition for said artillery pieces and, consequently, any civilian take on the tank biathlons would have to have a somewhat different flavour.

So it was that the sport of tank racing was born.  The early days, saw a series of meets where gentlemen with more money than was probably good for them came together with their ex-military service vehicle to compete in a variety of cross-country time trials where they could show off their prowess in command of their respective armoured toys.

It didn’t take long for the media to take an interest and for sponsors to realise that there was money to be made from this new and novel sport.  As the public interest and financial rewards of the new sport spiralled, the imperative to quickly tie down an effective set of rules and regulations quickly resulted in two very distinct avenues of development:  Tank Rallying and Tank Drag Racing.  In order to maintain an element of competition, a number of sub categories were introduced to both racing styles specifying, amongst a myriad of technical minutia, all up weight and engine type.

With the desire to increase the performance of their armoured steeds, it wasn’t long before teams starting making alterations to their vehicles in order to improve performance/handling/speed whilst staying inside the constraints of the sport’s regulations.  Generally, the first thing to go was the redundant main gun which, if not welded or clamped in place, only served to put unwanted sheer-pressures onto the turret.  Not entirely surprisingly, the entire turret was next to go as teams endeavoured to reduce the weight category of their vehicle whilst keeping the original power train.

These and a number of more subtle developments led to some very sleek and surprisingly fast armoured vehicles.  However, it was the appearance of Team Claymore’s cut down Challenger 1 in 2017 that entirely revolutionised the sport.  What they had done was to take a standard Challenger 1, remove its turret and then remove the portion of the hull that the turret sat on.  This process also reduced its number of road wheels per side from 6 to 4.  The end result was a reduction in the vehicle’s original 62 tonne to 30 tonnes.  At the same time, the vehicle’s 26 litre, 1,200hp, Perkins CV-12 Condor engine was upgraded and race tuned to output 1,500hp.  In other words, the vehicle’s power to weight ratio was boosted from 19.4 hp/tonne to 50 hp/tonne.

When entered into the 30-tonne class of both the Rally and Drag Races, Team Claymore’s vehicles (01 and 02) were the run-away winners and set a new tank land-speed record of 80.2 mph (128.3 Km/h).

The model depicts Team Claymore’s vehicle ‘02’ which won the European Tank Rally Championship in record time and then which went on to set a new World Tracked Speed Record in its class.  It is made from parts from two different Tamiya Challenger 1 models, some pieces from a Takom Chieftain Mk 11, plastic card and a selection of home grown decals.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:29:59 AM by Claymore »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
I am smitten.. that is just toooo cooool O0 O0

Love it

Offline Claymore

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
Merci beaucoup...  :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »
That looks amazing!  I would imagine with the shorter length that thing would turn quite fast. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »
Awesome!

Just dawned on me that the chassis would make a great all terrain fire fighting and rescue vehicle with water cannon and an armoured / insulated trailer and multiple redundant protective systems (i.e. sprinklers, CO2 dousing systems, AFFF, etc.)

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
I said this elsewhere but this thing is too darn cool! Not only a great looking race tank but it would be great "re-militarized" as a manned or autonomous recce scout or light infantry fire support vehicle.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
Novel build for novel idea  :)
With $ from all those sponsors otta be a real goer.
There is cross country, race track (with or without obstacles), perhaps 300ft drag racing.
Second Volkodav and Jacques Deguerre concepts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:40:47 AM by finsrin »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
Can't say it enough:

That's just brilliant, mate! Absolutely brilliant! Love it! 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-*

Offline Claymore

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
Thanks to all for the positive comments, they're very much appreciated.  :)

I have a spot on th econstruction bench for a stripped down Leo 2 competitor for the crown.